British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

8 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Careful, I think you said “Scottish” there.  :D

I also said 'big fish' rather than big fish. :D

TBH Rangers and Celtic would struggle at the English Championship level.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ancient mariner said:

Yes, but they play in small pond that doesn't have the higher standards and neither can they attract the best players. I think it could be argued though, that Celtic and possibly also Rangers have the support and revenue base that could allow them to compete at a higher level. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ancient mariner said:

Ridiculous comment, you seem to assume that if they were in English football they would still be receiving the same sort of financial backing from TV money , sponsorship and other revenue streams as they do now the difference in the finances is massive. They might struggle for a couple of seasons but once they where established they would comfortably compete with the majority of teams in the premiership 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I suspect though, that UEFA will have to countenance some sort of Super League in future to head off other renegade efforts, which is perhaps what this was all about all along as it's otherwise hard to understand the thinking of those clubs that they could get away with it. Their revamped Champions League is even more of an abomination and I can't see their plan to use the so-called 'Swiss format' for deciding the fixtures is really going to be acceptable in the long term. 

Rarely strangely, it's not actually the three or four biggest leagues that would benefit from something like this anyway, as they're already able to sell their product around the world. It's the 'big fish' in the Scottish, Dutch, Belgian, Portuguese even French leagues who'd gain more exposure. 

I agree

Think it was a message to EUFA. The battle has been won, but I imagine the war is yet to truly unfold. It seems strange to cave in after a couple of days seeing this has been mooted for a few years. The Real president is saying the project is on ice, rather than dropped

Three clubs still in the Super League.

• Haha 1

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2021 at 8:27 PM, DSC67 said:

Ridiculous comment, you seem to assume that if they were in English football they would still be receiving the same sort of financial backing from TV money , sponsorship and other revenue streams as they do now the difference in the finances is massive. They might struggle for a couple of seasons but once they where established they would comfortably compete with the majority of teams in the premiership 

Exactly the same as clubs promoted from the Championship to the Premiership I would have thought

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ancient mariner said:

Exactly the same as clubs promoted from the Championship to the Premiership I would have thought

Big difference being clubs like Sheffield United, WBA or Norwich are unlikely to have 50,000 fans every home game or have the same amount of traveling fans as the Old Firm would attract  , I'd also doubt they will be able to attract the same level of sponsorship that the Old Firm teams would  

Edited by DSC67
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, DSC67 said:

Big difference being clubs like Sheffield United, WBA or Norwich are unlikely to have 50,000 fans every home game or have the same amount of traveling fans as the Old Firm would attract  , I'd also doubt they will be able to attract the same level of sponsorship that the Old Firm teams would  

Always a big mistake that some in England make. They don’t seem to realise the mass of fans and interest in the clubs not only at home, but abroad. If they were in, which I see Moyes is calling for, they would automatically be able to call in more finances than currently available, be able to buy players that currently wouldn’t consider moving to Scotland and be able to attract a level of sponsorship that atm wouldn’t be interested 

I don’t think they would automatically be challenging for honours, but I doubt that it would take too long

• Like 1

Would the majority of Scottish football fans agree with Celtic and Rangers joining the English league?

Or would their desire for Scottish independence make that abhorrent?

And what would happen if they did join and Scotland became independent and joined the EU, with different rules for freedom of movement (signing players) compared to England’s?

Why would the English want 2 foreign (scottish) teams taking up places in their League ?  It's bad enough that there are 3 welsh teams taking up EFL places (and another in the NL).

UEFA have said before that they wouldn't allow it (though see comment re welsh teams).

It's just that celtic & rangers (and other scottish teams) want more money from the English.

• Like 1

I am not so sure about EUFA, after all there are already precedents, such as Berwick and Derry City. And now Infantino at FIFA has come out in favour of such things. In particular a joint Mexico/US venture 

Posted (edited)

What happened to all those great Jocks that played in England yesteryear, such as Bremner, Lorimer, Grays, McLintock, Graham, Dalglish, Hansen, Souness, Law, Strachan, MacQueen, Hendry, Buchan, McCreadie, Mackay, Gilzean, Collins, Cooke, Ferguson, Robertson, Gemmill, McAllister, Jordan, Hartford... too many to mention. Tierney at Arsenal was their first signing from norf o the border for many years. 

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

What happened to all those great Jocks that played in England yesteryear, such as Bremner, Lorimer, Grays, McLintock, Graham, Dalglish, Hansen, Souness, Law, Buchan, McCreadie, Mackay, Gilzean, Ferguson, Robertson, too many to mention. Tierney at Arsenal was their first signing from norf o the border for many years. 

Don't forget Peter Marinello!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2