British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

17 hours ago, CrystalCastles said:

Up The County 

What a Play Off Semi Final 

Ellison with a screamer 

Great game played in typical May conditions :D

Looking forward to Round 2 of Ellison vs Derek Adams in the final!

• Like 1

Bit disappointed that Danny Ings isn’t even in the long squad.

I think he works harder in a pressing game than Calvert-Lewin and Greenwood and is every bit the goalscorer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57239842

• Like 1

Not that I'm massively bothered, but Ole should have brought on Henderson for the shootout.......

Never seen a penalty shoot out that came down to goalkeepers . Anybody know what would have happened if both goalkeepers scored? Have a feeling it might be decided by a toss of the coin.

18 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Not that I'm massively bothered, but Ole should have brought on Henderson for the shootout.......

I thought Rashford had his worst game ever for United,  should have been taken off at half time. 

• Like 1

Just now, wealdstone said:

Never seen a penalty shoot out that came down to goalkeepers . Anybody know what would have happened if both goalkeepers scored? Have a feeling it might be decided by a toss of the coin.

As far as I know they carry on with the same players again until a result.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, jrs said:

As far as I know they carry on with the same players again until a result.

Yep, they go around the team again. AFAIK, it doesn't have to be in the same order.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Pathetic from United tonight - Lindelof must go. 

• Like 1

Somewhat disappointing for the United fans who made fun of Liverpool and Leicester!  :)

• Haha 2

United should have won it in 120 minutes really but Emery is a wily old fox and had the Spaniards drilled to military standards. Once it goes to penalties it’s a lottery. 

No doubt OGS will get flak as per but there its clear they are much, much better than when he took the reins. 

29 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

United should have won it in 120 minutes really but Emery is a wily old fox and had the Spaniards drilled to military standards. Once it goes to penalties it’s a lottery. 

No doubt OGS will get flak as per but there its clear they are much, much better than when he took the reins. 

Undoubtedly OGS will get the blame.

Overall he's done a good job and we have improved this year.

However, at the same time he prioritized this competition and gave up on the other winnable competitions in order to do it.

Ultimately he has failed to achieve his target of winning a trophy this year.

It's the manner of these failures, that annoys me and I think a lot of United fans.

We take competitions seriously and try to win games in early rounds, however when we get to the sharp end of the competitions it's abundantly clear that we lack unity, and we lack desire to actually win things.

Then OGS rolls out the excuses.

Uniteds attitude to success is now purely defined by finishing in the top 4.

I can't get my head around the fact that last night, at a certain point in the game  that the management team and the players only had the desire and willingness to play for penalties.

That's a terrible attitude, for a club that never gives up and has won so many things in my lifetime in the last few minutes or in extra time.

The club, management and players deserve all the criticism that they will get.

• Like 2

I was highly impressed with Cavani’s determination and Greenwood’s ball skills. But Pogba gave the ball away too easily too often and Rashford was out of sorts. Total lack of movement up front sticking to their position made it easy for the Spaniards, who stuck to the task well. Thought they might tire, but no

9 hours ago, JC71 said:

Definitely, he has a decent record for saving penalties whilst De Gea is probably one of the worst out there. Doesn't look like he even believes in himself to save one. 

9 hours ago, jrs said:

I thought Rashford had his worst game ever for United,  should have been taken off at half time. 

He's been poor for ages now and clearly not fit. That shoulder injury he picked up last season is still an issue, it's been said he'll have surgery after the Euro's but just get on with it now and stop the risk of making it a long-term problem. Shouldn't be close to starting for England in current form anyway. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I was highly impressed with Cavani’s determination and Greenwood’s ball skills. But Pogba gave the ball away too easily too often and Rashford was out of sorts. Total lack of movement up front sticking to their position made it easy for the Spaniards, who stuck to the task well. Thought they might tire, but no

Rashford has been out of sorts since taking the Government to account.

• Like 1

I was impressed by the standard of the penalty’s taken, usually nerves get to the players and a few are blasted over the bar or players try to be clever and end up embarrassed .