British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

4 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Of course but I think it's obvious in a situation like that the person and their family deserve as much privacy as possible.  

Yeah that initial view was horrible, until then there's the obvious shock and confusion about what's happened but at that point it should have become clear that the right thing to do was cut away from the pictures as clearly some countries did. 

Anyway, thankfully the news has been good. If there can be one positive from that being seen by millions then hopefully a few will learn some basic CPR which could save a life in future. 

Seriously if you get the chance get defib training, apparently it was the defib that brought Eriksson back to life. I know that defibrillators are common in many accessible places across the country, in our village its in the decommissioned  BT phone box. They really are life savers. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Spot on with team selection Southgate. Phillips, Sterling, 13 goals in 17 games, Stones and Mings had excellent games. Mount and Foden played well. Only Arry looked a bit out of sorts. Good start, bring on the Scots.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

Good result for England, against a strong consistent Croatia team.

Type of game that you have to find a way to win. 

Thoughts with the Fan who fell at Wembley. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

I wouldn't have had Calvin Phillips anywhere near the squad, let alone the team.

So it's safe to ignore anything I say about football:rolleyes::rofl:

Don’t worry, you’ve got me.  :D

Agreed. I thought Bellingham should have started, but only Phillips and Foden showed any energy, so credit to both.

Jenas said Foden got to frustrated with being constrained by the structure of the team and started to improvise.  That’s the way they should play, like Italy the other night, faster inter-play in the opposition half and players moving out of position.  

Playing out from the back at walking pace with twenty passes in our own half is a waste of time, we need much snappier movement and passing in the opposition’s half.

• Like 1

Belgium took the knee in St. Petersburg.

The Russian crowd didn't disappoint...:)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Tournament football is all about the result, England got a good result today and a reasonable performance. Now onto Scotland at home next.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

only Phillips and Foden showed any energy, so credit to both.

Sterling? Mount? Kane?

14 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Sterling? Mount? Kane?

Sterling and Kane missed very good chances and none of them created any. Kane looked pedestrian.

Where were the one-twos, lay offs, spins or creating a yard on the edge of the box?

I’d give Phillips 8 out of 10, Foden 7 for trying something different for 10 mins, and the rest 6.

• Like 1

Best match of the tournament so far by a long chalk, Ukraine ending up the unlucky losers. It was more like the Dutch of old almost overwhelming the Ukrainians at times with skill and pace. Loads of quality and pace from both teams and a real entertaining match.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jrs said:

Best match of the tournament so far by a long chalk, Ukraine ending up the unlucky losers. It was more like the Dutch of old almost overwhelming the Ukrainians at times with skill and pace. Loads of quality and pace from both teams and a real entertaining match.

Agree entertaining match, Ukraine deserved a point, didn't watch the England match.

7 hours ago, DC2 said:

Sterling and Kane missed very good chances and none of them created any. Kane looked pedestrian.

Where were the one-twos, lay offs, spins or creating a yard on the edge of the box?

I’d give Phillips 8 out of 10, Foden 7 for trying something different for 10 mins, and the rest 6.

Agree Sterling's end product was astray, but your comment was "lack of energy". Sterling was the only England player consistently finding space. Kane did a huge amount of running pressing the Croatian defence (albeit not looking threatening on attack).

Thought England back 4 were defensively solid - Mings imo was, somewhat surprisingly, the pick of them - but both Trippier and Walker's distribution was poor (notwithstanding that they were involved with Fodens early chsnce and Sterling's goal respectively).

Foden showed some great touches, Rice was solid, and as commented Phillips was MoM.

For the next game i imagine a similar starting line up, possibly Grealish in for Foden and a change to one or both full backs? 

9 hours ago, screm said:

Tournament football is all about the result, England got a good result today and a reasonable performance. Now onto Scotland at home next.

However this is a league within the tournament & qualification is via points.

England won & got 3 points but moving forward they have not impressed in the last 3 games. They must show a more positive attitude with movement off the ball if progress past the round of 16 is their aim

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Agree Sterling's end product was astray, but your comment was "lack of energy". Sterling was the only England player consistently finding space. Kane did a huge amount of running pressing the Croatian defence (albeit not looking threatening on attack).

Thought England back 4 were defensively solid - Mings imo was, somewhat surprisingly, the pick of them - but both Trippier and Walker's distribution was poor (notwithstanding that they were involved with Fodens early chsnce and Sterling's goal respectively).

Foden showed some great touches, Rice was solid, and as commented Phillips was MoM.

For the next game i imagine a similar starting line up, possibly Grealish in for Foden and a change to one or both full backs? 

For me, Foden was better than Sterling and I’d rather he got a second yellow in the next match than later in the tournament.

I’d definitely start Grealish to see what he can offer instead of Sterling (or Mount, just to rest him).

My next team would be:

Johnstone; James, Stones, White, Chilwell; Rice, Phillips; Foden, Grealish, Mount; Calvert-Lewin.

With Henderson, Bellingham, Sancho and Saka getting some more game time too.

With C-L we’d also need more emphasis on attacking the by-line and crossing than fairy footing forever on the edge of the box.

Edited by DC2

2 hours ago, Technik said:

However this is a league within the tournament & qualification is via points.

England won & got 3 points but moving forward they have not impressed in the last 3 games. They must show a more positive attitude with movement off the ball if progress past the round of 16 is their aim

At the same time you don't need be the best attacking or most exciting team in the tournament to win it.

Greece and Portugal have both won it without being particularly good.

14 minutes ago, CrystalCastles said:

At the same time you don't need be the best attacking or most exciting team in the tournament to win it.

Greece and Portugal have both won it without being particularly good.

Yes, but I’m pretty sure you and I have agreed in the past that being entertaining is more important than winning!

Football, like all sports, goes from tournament to tournament and I’d be happy for England to lose the next five finals playing brilliantly rather than win one playing like Arsenal 1-0.

Italy may have won the ‘82 World Cup but that Brazil team will always stay in my mind.

Winning seems to appeal most to a slightly unpleasant tribal instinct.