British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

5 hours ago, CrystalCastles said:

All Elite Sportspersons have a special exemption. I haven't read much into it, to provide a really detailed answer but i am sure someone else on the forum will have.

Sportspeople are getting tested regularly, they are meant to be in a controlled bubble environment of their family home & their workplace.

As a cricket fan, initial rules were very strict, in order for international cricket to take place - all players, coaches, medics, commentators and journalists had to be in a very strict bubble. Commentators & Journalists documented some of this including the testing.

In order for all professional sport to take place they relaxed the rules, but that decision in itself was complex.

Generally though i agree with your point it is massively confusing. Sportspeople very close proximity to each other. As the football season has got under way i would say behaviour has normalised - Footballers are celebrating goals with each other, hugging  etc on a more frequent basis. 

I personally think that it undermines and contradicts some of the advice that is given out to the general population.

Many thanks for the insight...much appreciated. I have a relation who is chewing the carpet because he is unable to get out and play golf.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, scottyfan said:

Mo Salah has tested positive for coronavirus.....Apparently showing no symptoms though, but will miss the next 2 Liverpool games at least.

Wasn't much of a surprise after seeing the clip of him at his brothers wedding

16 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Many thanks for the insight...much appreciated. I have a relation who is chewing the carpet because he is unable to get out and play golf.

As we have said previously, half the restrictions we see make no bloody sense at all, and everything seems to contradict everything else.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chunky said:

As we have said previously, half the restrictions we see make no bloody sense at all, and everything seems to contradict everything else.

The same would apply to rugby I guess...probably more so than football although both are high contact sports.

Edited by steve roberts

After having to release quite a few first team players in the summer I was expecting a season of hanging around in mid-table for Exeter but a good start so far. Sort out the defensive errors and we might even be able to lose at Wembley again!

January transfer window already not that far ahead, will be interesting to see what happens there. Josh Key and Joel Randall have got their chance this season and already look a class above this division, I'd be surprised if both weren't playing in the Championship this time next year.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Wasn't much of a surprise after seeing the clip of him at his brothers wedding

Don’t blame it on people having a good time; he could equally have contracted it on the bus going to Aldi.

Good to see Scotland losing today after the krankies got a bit uppety the other day! :D

• Like 2

Apart from Grealish poor, 5 at the back no speed up front with Sterling and Rashford missing, how do Rice Dier and Pickfork keep getting picked. Belgium ranked 1 in world.

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

Apart from Grealish poor, 5 at the back no speed up front with Sterling and Rashford missing, how do Rice Dier and Pickfork keep getting picked. Belgium ranked 1 in world.

To be fair that was probably the best performance in this Nations League, unlucky with a deflection and a free-kick that clearly shouldn't have been given. Just missing that extra attacking player that you lose with this formation. 3 goals in 5 games (2 penalties and a fluke) tell the story though. Last year we were one of the most attacking sides and enjoyable to watch, now we've gone the opposite way. 

Grealish at least put in a performance so good that even Southgate can't drop him now, best player on the pitch by a mile. I said a while back that I couldn't see anyone paying £80m for him but if he keeps this form up it's only a matter of time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

Didn't see the game, but saw the teamsheet prior. Five across the back, two holding midfielders leaving room for just three flair players. 

Thought it very negative.. 

3 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Grealish at least put in a performance so good that even Southgate can't drop him now, best player on the pitch by a mile. I said a while back that I couldn't see anyone paying £80m for him but if he keeps this form up it's only a matter of time. 

Unless Southgate changes his favoured formation, it may be hard for Grealish to be anything other than a squad player. Southgate has said he won't put square pegs in round holes, so that leaves Grealish as an attacking wide player, who prefers the left hand side, where I would have thought that Raheem Sterling would be ahead of him (at least based on perfromances over the last 3 years).

Grealish could help himself by working harder on the defensive side of his game. Admittedly, he wasn't at fault for the first goal against Belgium. Dier's pass, Mount's weak challenge, Rice being attracted to the ball, Chilwell not covering across, and Mings only half blocking the shot would all share more of the blame; but having said that, Grealish made no effort to track back, where he would have been in a position to challenge the goalscorer.

1 hour ago, nickcat0 said:

Unless Southgate changes his favoured formation, it may be hard for Grealish to be anything other than a squad player. Southgate has said he won't put square pegs in round holes, so that leaves Grealish as an attacking wide player, who prefers the left hand side, where I would have thought that Raheem Sterling would be ahead of him (at least based on perfromances over the last 3 years).

Grealish could help himself by working harder on the defensive side of his game. Admittedly, he wasn't at fault for the first goal against Belgium. Dier's pass, Mount's weak challenge, Rice being attracted to the ball, Chilwell not covering across, and Mings only half blocking the shot would all share more of the blame; but having said that, Grealish made no effort to track back, where he would have been in a position to challenge the goalscorer.

If everyone is available I'd imagine Sterling would play on the right and Grealish would be competing with Rashford and Sancho to start on the left. 

It's clear that our strength is in the attacking areas so it makes little sense to stick with this formation. 4-2-3-1 would perhaps suit them better especially against weaker teams. Defensively we aren't great but they're not so bad we need to be playing 5 defenders against the likes of Denmark and Iceland

Edited by The Cheese

13 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

If everyone is available I'd imagine Sterling would play on the right and Grealish would be competing with Rashford and Sancho to start on the left. 

It's clear that our strength is in the attacking areas so it makes little sense to stick with this formation. 4-2-3-1 would perhaps suit them better especially against weaker teams. Defensively we aren't great but they're not so bad we need to be playing 5 defenders against the likes of Denmark and Iceland

I thought Sterling preferred to play on the left and cut in.

Em3Wl7-XEAEr8DX?format=jpg&name=large

What a surprise.. only a matter of time before he was targeted. The state of the media in this country is absolutely disgusting

• Like 5

As a light relief: My Brother who lived in Thailand died unexpectedly recently. I have received today a load of memorabilia  , also included was a shirt and scarf from local football team Chaingrai United.