British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

Em3Wl7-XEAEr8DX?format=jpg&name=large

What a surprise.. only a matter of time before he was targeted. The state of the media in this country is absolutely disgusting

5 years ago a journalist for the mail wrote an article praising David Beckham for his charity work and how he should be knighted.

Now the mail has journalists writing an article attacking a footballer basically for spending money he has earnt on something entirely sensible.

Unfortunately the standard of journalism today, Is to an extent is a reflection of current attitudes in our society.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, The Cheese said:

If everyone is available I'd imagine Sterling would play on the right and Grealish would be competing with Rashford and Sancho to start on the left. 

It's clear that our strength is in the attacking areas so it makes little sense to stick with this formation. 4-2-3-1 would perhaps suit them better especially against weaker teams. Defensively we aren't great but they're not so bad we need to be playing 5 defenders against the likes of Denmark and Iceland

Personally think Grealish can play anywhere in midfield. Last year he was moved further forward because Villa struggled to score & because of the way football is now played.

It has given him freedom and a lot less responsibility & Villa are benefiting from that this season, but England would he much better if Grealish was playing in a central role at club level.

If everyone is available. I'd play a genuine 4-3-3. With Henderson, Rice and Grealish in midfield.

Kane,Sterling & Sancho would be the front 3. 

England's problem as always is far too much choice, who they should pick and how they should play, how they should phase players in.

Have England given up on James Maddison ? looks like he's slipped  down the pecking order . shame as i think he's a big talent

1 hour ago, orion said:

Have England given up on James Maddison ? looks like he's slipped  down the pecking order . shame as i think he's a big talent

I think he has been injured, as I heard on the tele a couple of days ago, he was about to come back.

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

I think he has been injured, as I heard on the tele a couple of days ago, he was about to come back.

He missed the end of last season, and has picked up a couple of injuries this season.

Not really interested in football, but I did catch the start of the Wales v Republic of Ireland match and had a giggle at Ireland trying to kick off while Wales were still taking a knee for BLM. Genius move.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, topsoil said:

Not really interested in football, but I did catch the start of the Wales v Republic of Ireland match and had a giggle at Ireland trying to kick off while Wales were still taking a knee for BLM. Genius move.

Probably their best chance of scoring... :rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2020 at 4:34 PM, CrystalCastles said:

5 years ago a journalist for the mail wrote an article praising David Beckham for his charity work and how he should be knighted.

Now the mail has journalists writing an article attacking a footballer basically for spending money he has earnt on something entirely sensible.

Unfortunately the standard of journalism today, Is to an extent is a reflection of current attitudes in our society.

Perhaps I'm missing something here but how is he being attacked?

I had to search for the actual article as the the original post didn't link to it and having read it all the way through,I can't see anything that can be construed as an attack.

It was reported in the press 3 years ago that he had started his own property investment company buying properties in the north west and he was described as an intelligent young man following in the footsteps of Robby Fowler & David Beckham who wanted another vehicle to carry his wealth beyond football so what's different now? 

It's hardly a surprise that a property investment company buys properties and the article goes on to mention his charitable work and his sportswear branding and MBE too.

I've a lot of respect for Marcus and very little for the press but I'm not seeing any slur on him in that article. If Katie Price buys a gold toilet seat the press think we need to know about it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I had to search for the actual article as the the original post didn't link to it and having read it all the way through,I can't see anything that can be construed as an attack.

As you say its not a shock that he's buying houses .. so i ask you this why do think a right paper made it a news story ? think about it .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

It was reported in the press 3 years ago that he had started his own property investment company buying properties in the north west and he was described as an intelligent young man following in the footsteps of Robby Fowler & David Beckham who wanted another vehicle to carry his wealth beyond football so what's different now? 

It's hardly a surprise that a property investment company buys properties and the article goes on to mention his charitable work and his sportswear branding and MBE too.

I've a lot of respect for Marcus and very little for the press but I'm not seeing any slur on him in that article. If Katie Price buys a gold toilet seat the press think we need to know about it. 

I will start of by saying that i can absolutely see your point. Undoubtedly many people will read the article in the way that you have and agree that it doesn't attack him.

The article itself does talk about a lot of things, and is based on factual information that is freely available.

Seeing as you have asked i will reply with my thoughts.

Firstly not everything has to be explicitly written.

I used the word attacked as it's what i think, and because Marcus felt the need to reply and to justify his portfolio and investments. 

England has a young footballer who has a social conscience and who is really trying to be a positive role model. Rather than focusing on negatives in society. He is actually using his platform and past personal experience to try and help all children, who experience food poverty.

Unfortunately that has meant that he has had to campaign against a government who have struggled with getting the balance right.  
The distasteful reality, is that the UK as a whole has had a growing problem with food poverty in the last decade, and that is a situation that is only going to get worse.

I would say there is a subliminal intention to highlight that he is a  very rich footballer with a lot of money, who instead of spending it on charity work is attempting to make himself richer.
I.e. the headline and subheads highlight how much he has spent, that they are luxury homes, and that he has a banking relationship with Coutts.

I think it's an attempt to make him out as one of the rich elite, who knows nothing about being working class or poverty and to undermine the fact that he is campaigning against a government who largely don't agree with subsidising children's meals. 

The journalists could just have easily have written a boring headline sensible footballer expands his property portfolio.

Edited by CrystalCastles
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, orion said:

As you say its not a shock that he's buying houses .. so i ask you this why do think a right paper made it a news story ? think about it .

I've really no idea. The press thrive on stories of how celebrities spend there time & wealth. Although it's of no interest to me I assume it is to some people.

As I said, it has previously been reported that he had started a property investment company years ago and it wasn't an issue then so why would it be an attack now. Out of interest why do you think they ran the story and what do you think the significance of it being a right paper is?

15 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I've really no idea. The press thrive on stories of how celebrities spend there time & wealth. Although it's of no interest to me I assume it is to some people.

As I said, it has previously been reported that he had started a property investment company years ago and it wasn't an issue then so why would it be an attack now. Out of interest why do you think they ran the story and what do you think the significance of it being a right paper is?

Really ? its pretty clear what they are trying to do . To make sure people know that he is super rich and spending his money to make more while asking  Boris and co for charity . A right wing paper runs a story like that  because  readers wont have much time for people  you want free dinners for poor people and even more so when its a black person .

As you said he been doing it for years so why the need to run the story now i .. you can hear the right wing voices now ' why hes asking for charity when he can use his own money ' 

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, orion said:

Really ? its pretty clear what they are trying to do . To make sure people know that he is super rich and spending his money to make more while asking  Boris and co for charity . A right wing paper runs a story like that  because  readers wont have much time for people  you want free dinners for poor people and even more so when its a black person .

As you said he been doing it for years so why the need to run the story now i .. you can hear the right wing voices now ' why hes asking for charity when he can use his own money ' 

There seems to be a lot of fuss & bother lately based on 'perceptions' rather than fact so I'd rather make judgements on what is written not on subliminal messages. 

The article made it clear that he was from humble council estate origins so not a story of an over privileged person with no idea about poverty & don't the right wing support capitalism anyway.

I agree it's a non story but it  doesn't seem to attack him in anyway. There are plenty of celebrities that have received worse treatment than that.

I'll leave it there as this is a football thread so not really relevant anyway.

1 minute ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

There seems to be a lot of fuss & bother lately based on 'perceptions' rather than fact so I'd rather make judgements on what is written not on subliminal messages. 

The article made it clear that he was from humble council estate origins so not a story of an over privileged person with no idea about poverty & don't the right wing support capitalism anyway.

I agree it's a non story but it  doesn't seem to attack him in anyway. There are plenty of celebrities that have received worse treatment than that.

I'll leave it there as this is a football thread so not really relevant anyway.

You got  to pretty naive to understand why its been written at this time 

Agree this is a football thread but what I will say is that what Rashford describes as poverty etc was pretty much the norm whilst my generation were growing up. Yet we never thought we were deprived or in poverty

• Like 4