British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

Again should be on a different thread:

My father did not smoke or drink. Prior to getting married and having children his interests were Speedway in the Summer and Ice Hockey in the winter.  Ice Hockey was twice a week so he cut one out for financial reasons.  I am all for  help for the deprived but cant help feeling there is this sense of entitlement that permeates society. 

My Father died age 53 of lung cancer having  neither smoked  or drank..

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Agree this is a football thread but what I will say is that what Rashford describes as poverty etc was pretty much the norm whilst my generation were growing up. Yet we never thought we were deprived or in poverty

Yeah, imagine kids now having to eat Yorkshire puddings and jam for their Sunday puddings, or having 1 bottle of Waters & Robson's to last them a week, getting third generation lukewarm used bath water to bathe in, having to wear handy down clothes from older relatives or posher kids in the street or, even having to build a bicycle from everyone else's broken bikes???

It's just so hard these days for kids, too many sweets to pick from. Mind you tho, them 'bitsa bikes' where the best. :t:

16 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Again should be on a different thread:

My father did not smoke or drink. Prior to getting married and having children his interests were Speedway in the Summer and Ice Hockey in the winter.  Ice Hockey was twice a week so he cut one out for financial reasons.  I am all for  help for the deprived but cant help feeling there is this sense of entitlement that permeates society. 

My Father died age 53 of lung cancer having  neither smoked  or drank..

Just read this about the definition of poverty:

“... place all families in the UK in a line, from those with the most resources to those with the least. The family in the middle is the “median family”. Any family that has 54% or less of what that median family has is defined as being in poverty.  Why 54%? Actually, the SMC itself openly admits this is a “largely arbitrary” choice. It’s actually chosen so that there’s almost no difference in the overall level of UK poverty between this new measure and the existing ones used by the government. The main measure of relative poverty shows as many as 14 million people in poverty—this new measure has it at 14.3 million, due to this choice.”

For me it’s not poverty if you can house, clothe and feed your family.  

Booze, cigarettes, drugs, tattoos, betting, cars, take aways, mobile phones and designer brands shouldn’t come into it.

Must find an alternative thread to continue.  Very interesting .  Totally agree that there are many that should get and deserve help .I fear that the most needy are are left behind by those that think they are entitled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blupanther said:

:D

That is hilarious! There is a longer video on YouTube that includes Italian and German results too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chunky said:

That is hilarious! There is a longer video on YouTube that includes Italian and German results too.

Brilliant! Especially enjoyed the slight pause between results as he obviously was thinking how best to pronounce some of the teams.

Best laugh I've had in a long time!

Edited by steve roberts

10 hours ago, Blupanther said:

:D

Buy that man another drink.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great for a Wrexham that the takeover has gone through.

Good to see Wales 1-0 up at half time in what is a big game for us.

21 minutes ago, CrystalCastles said:

Great for a Wrexham that the takeover has gone through.

Good to see Wales 1-0 up at half time in what is a big game for us.

Take care, Andorra are pretty good in the second half.  :D

• Like 1

Another great moment for the Exeter academy as the U16s beat Crewe in the EFL Floodlit Cup final, coming back from 3-1 down at half-time to win 7-3!

Really hoping we can keep hold of Sonny Cox long enough for him to play in the first team but sadly only a matter of time before he moves to a top club

• Like 1

See even the Beeb were running a piece about Dortmund’s wonder boy about to make his full debut. Got a good lot of young prospects with Sancho, Bellingham etc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

See even the Beeb were running a piece about Dortmund’s wonder boy about to make his full debut. Got a good lot of young prospects with Sancho, Bellingham etc

Dortmunds philosophy & focus on youth is a really interesting model, developed some quality footballers in the last 20 years. You can see the appeal of joining a club willing to play young players at the highest level.

It's really sad in England that we don't have clubs that do that anymore.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CrystalCastles said:

Dortmunds philosophy & focus on youth is a really interesting model, developed some quality footballers in the last 20 years. You can see the appeal of joining a club willing to play young players at the highest level.

It's really sad in England that we don't have clubs that do that anymore.

Really?

Don’t quite a lot of clubs field youngsters?

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Really?

Don’t quite a lot of clubs field youngsters?

Depends on what you define as youngsters and how much they play. The game in England especially has moved on and for me you should only fit in that category if you are playing when you are 16-19 on regular basis, not as a bit part player.

You look at all of the world class players they play as soon as they are ready. In England it's more of a problem, because of the perceived pace of the game.  And the ridiculous idea that young players need to be protected. 

People are still talking about Phil Foden as young and bursting on the seen, people were aware of him 5 years ago, He was ready 3 years ago. Supposedly the best young player of his generation in England and it's taken David Silva to go back to Spain for him to be given his opportunity. But long term he should be playing in central midfield. He is unlikely to do that at City.

He's also so good that he still isn't guaranteed to get into England team. 

Sancho by comparison came through at the same time and by moving to Germany has played a lot more club football and international football at a younger age and is a regular starter in his position.

I can think of plenty of other examples of players who are not really given a proper opportunity, booted out on loan, used as a bit part player, played out of position or where clubs sign established foreign players instead.

Edited by CrystalCastles