British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

22 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I believe he played twice for England U23s?

When you see Don in the Palace v Man U 5-0 match he played like “England’s George Best” and it’s hard to believe that he wasn’t selected for the next England match.  

It must have been around the time of the infamous England v Poland World Cup qualifier, when instead of flair (Don, Bowles, Curry) we went for the solid types of Clarke, Hector, Chivers and Bell (?).  Of course, my memory may fail me.

A game I remember all too well!

53 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I believe he played twice for England U23s?

When you see Don in the Palace v Man U 5-0 match he played like “England’s George Best” and it’s hard to believe that he wasn’t selected for the next England match.  

It must have been around the time of the infamous England v Poland World Cup qualifier, when instead of flair (Don, Bowles, Curry) we went for the solid types of Clarke, Hector, Chivers and Bell (?).  Of course, my memory may fail me.

Bell, Channon, Currie, Clarke, Chivers and Peters started with Hector the substitute.

All very good players but Hector didn’t offer much different. Rogers would have.

Just looked up those matches. The Palace match was Dec 72 and the Poland one Oct 73, so it makes you wonder even more why Don wasn’t given a chance in any of the qualifiers.

Here’s a good article about the 72-73 campaign:

https://englandmemories.com/2017/10/27/englands-qualifying-campaigns-1974-world-cup/

Edited by DC2
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Bell, Channon, Currie, Clarke, Chivers and Peters started with Hector the substitute.

All very good players but Hector didn’t offer much different. Rogers would have.

Just looked up those matches. The Palace match was Dec 72 and the Poland one Oct 73, so it makes you wonder even more why Don wasn’t given a chance in any of the qualifiers.

Here’s a good article about the 72-73 campaign:

https://englandmemories.com/2017/10/27/englands-qualifying-campaigns-1974-world-cup/

Oh dear! You'll have orion on your case...

I'd forgotten about Martin Chivers. Always thought that he was a 'one pace' player although his record in front of goal was pretty good.

Edited by steve roberts

20 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Oh dear! You'll have orion on your case...

I'd forgotten about Martin Chivers. Always thought that he was a 'one pace' player although his record in front of goal was pretty good.

At least in those days every team had 8 English players!

• Like 1

When America does penalty shootouts..

In summary;

• Keeper saves penalty, Orlando think they've won, manager runs down tunnel celebrating
  • Keeper was off his line. Gets a 2nd yellow, sent off. 
  • 5 minutes pass as sub keeper gets ready and comes on. Meanwhile someone has been to get the manager back out. Just as the penalty is about to be re-taken the VAR reminds the ref you can't make a sub during penalties (they'd also used the maximum amount anyway). Defender who was going to be subbed off instead goes in goal.
  • Penalty scored. Nani can then win it for Orlando but his gets saved
  • To sudden death and at 5-5 the defender makes a save. Goes wild. Confusion. Ref blows for the end and players start celebrating
  • Ref realises error and that Orlando still need to score their next penalty
  • Penalty scored and Orlando go through!
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2020 at 12:38 PM, DC2 said:

At least in those days every team had 8 English players!

Yea and did and we always got the summers off as well by not qualifying for World Cups etc . the good old days 

9 minutes ago, orion said:

Yea and did and we always got the summers off as well by not qualifying for World Cups etc . the good old days 

I think you’ll find we used to win world cups then.  :D

How’s it gone since?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I think you’ll find we used to win world cups then.  :D

How’s it gone since?

World Cups plural :blink:

It was the one. It was at home and it was due to a dodgy Russian ref, who had a beef with the Germans from the war :P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

World Cups plural :blink:

It was the one. It was at home and it was due to a dodgy Russian ref, who had a beef with the Germans from the war :P

Yes, one.

But immense compared to none.  :D

How long’s the Premier League been going and “improving our home grown players”?

Ah well, the French have done well out of it!

• Like 1

Regarding the "Dodgy "goal  I had two  friends who were special constables and on duty that day just by touchline behind the goal who always were adamant that the ball was over the line. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yes, one.

But immense compared to none.  :D

How long’s the Premier League been going and “improving our home grown players”?

Ah well, the French have done well out of it!

Yes, but the youngsters have in recent years been more successful than ever. You just don't understand 'lag' do you :D

2 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Regarding the "Dodgy "goal  I had two  friends who were special constables and on duty that day just by touchline behind the goal who always were adamant that the ball was over the line. 

And was the score 3-2 or 4-2?  :D

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yes, but the youngsters have in recent years been more successful than ever. You just don't understand 'lag' do you :D

Well, let’s hope you have some brainy children ‘cos it’s looking a bit bleak at the moment.  :D