British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

37 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

So if you don't agree with taking the knee or the Black lives matter movement you are racist according to Dion Dublin.

Personally though, I wouldn't boo players, I would stay in the concourse below while they make their political gestures and take my seat when they're ready to do what they are paid to do.

I actually rather liked Harry Kane’s view today on Football Focus, saying that kids around the world will watch and copy the bended knee of PL players and ask their parents why it’s being done.

That’s fair comment for kids and making the world a better place.

The bended knee annoys me, but I guess I can’t shake off the unconscious racism of the last sixty years.

50 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

So if you don't agree with taking the knee or the Black lives matter movement you are racist according to Dion Dublin.

Personally though, I wouldn't boo players, I would stay in the concourse below while they make their political gestures and take my seat when they're ready to do what they are paid to do.

Kazim Richards wasn’t taking the knee, he was giving a black power salute, deserves the boos

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I actually rather liked Harry Kane’s view today on Football Focus, saying that kids around the world will watch and copy the bended knee of PL players and ask their parents why it’s being done.

That’s fair comment for kids and making the world a better place.

The bended knee annoys me, but I guess I can’t shake off the unconscious racism of the last sixty years.

And what would the correct answer to that question be?

5 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

And what would the correct answer to that question be?

“It’s a protest against racism”.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Red Flag said:

Kazim Richards wasn’t taking the knee, he was giving a black power salute, deserves the boos

It didn’t go down well when Jesse Owens did it either.

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

“It’s a protest against racism”.

Is it though? It started as support for BLM and that's not the same thing. I don't support a group who canonise dangerous criminals and behave in the way they did in the protests, so that means I'm racist?

Every right minded person is against racism in all its forms. Anyone who is genuinely racist isn't going to change their views because of footballers kneeling.

The problem  is that I'm sure some kneel with sincerity others have to go along with it for fear of being branded racist by people like Dublin. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Is it though? It started as support for BLM and that's not the same thing. I don't support a group who canonise dangerous criminals and behave in the way they did in the protests, so that means I'm racist?

Every right minded person is against racism in all its forms. Anyone who is genuinely racist isn't going to change their views because of footballers kneeling.

The problem  is that I'm sure some kneel with sincerity others have to go along with it for fear of being branded racist by people like Dublin. 

You’re both right and wrong.

Anyway, as Harry Kane said, if kids around the world just take the simple message that racism is wrong it will make the world a better place.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DC2 said:

It didn’t go down well when Jesse Owens did it either.

No comparison. :rolleyes:

Was down The Den last season,  didn't see more than a dozen black faces in crowd of 15000. One of the last bastions of white male working class fandom. " No one likes us we don't care" is the club song, amongst other cockney ditties.

1 hour ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

If kids need telling racism is wrong then there's no hope anyway.

I said before on a different thread, before all this rubbish kicked off, I had observed how my grandson had no concept of racism and that he and all his school mates just got along without questioning or seeing any significance in them being a different colour or culture.

Now because of an act of police brutality against a dangerous criminal on the other side of the Atlantic we're introducing  tribalism and resentment to another generation. People who now seem to want revenge for history that no one can change and ram it down the throats of people that just want to get on life respecting each other regardless of colour or culture. Is that a good thing?

No personal disrespect intended to you, but that’s typical of how our generation sees this, me included.  

But we should rise above our personal judgments and points of principle as far as the benefit to children is concerned.

Children do need to be told and educated about colour and race making no difference, because they notice the differences as they grow up, and, more importantly, because they see adults, maybe even at first hand with parents and grandparents, and even the likes of me and you discussing this subject, who do draw a distinction to one degree or another.

• Like 2

Why are the Premier League allowing demonstrations of support for a political party?

• Like 2

Did anyone see on yesterday’s football focus Peter Osgood’s whack on Jack Charlton and Charlton’s forearm smash in retaliation?

No bookings, no red cards, just get on with it!  :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Did anyone see on yesterday’s football focus Peter Osgood’s whack on Jack Charlton and Charlton’s forearm smash in retaliation?

No bookings, no red cards, just get on with it!  :D

...ah but it was 'crap' in those days!

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...ah but it was 'crap' in those days!

Yeah, much better today, when a stray shoelace causes a penalty and a whiff of a quiff a red card!  :D

To be honest, this comparison reflects the different eras’ attitudes to racism too!

Edited by DC2