British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

On 12/8/2020 at 7:15 PM, steve roberts said:

Still remembered fondly at Oxford Utd.

Didn't he play with that Oxford team of Shotton, Briggs, Trewick, Aldridge, Burton, Hardwick, Foley,? bloody good side, never saw Arsenal or Charlton win at the Manor

22 minutes ago, iris123 said:

As I mentioned before, I was going through the checks at Heathrow on my way to hamburg once and the metal detector went off. So a guy came up with a hand held detector and it went off on my jacket pocket. He asked what I had in there and I said 'oh only a Millwal football badge' and he said ' I used to play for Millwall'. It was Doug Allder from the period you mention 

Yep, was he a winger/inside forward?

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Didn't he play with that Oxford team of Shotton, Briggs, Trewick, Aldridge, Burton, Hardwick, Foley,? bloody good side, never saw Arsenal or Charlton win at the Manor

I'm sure he played with some of those? Great names from the past.

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE best I ever saw ... despite being born and bred down south, my cousin and supported Blackpool. Greaves made his Tottenham debut against them. Hat-trick!

Remember Blackpool at Highbury, Armfield, Ball, Ray Charnley up front.

17 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Remember Blackpool at Highbury, Armfield, Ball, Ray Charnley up front.

REMEMBER Charnley for his massive ears! 

• Like 1

Anyone remember the Welsh forwards, Ron and Wyn Davies, Southampton and Newcastle, both brilliant headers of the ball, played for Wales with Mike England?

Just now, auntie doris said:

Anyone remember the Welsh forwards, Ron and Wyn Davies, Southampton and Newcastle, both brilliant headers of the ball, played for Wales with Mike England?

I saw Wyn playing for Newcastle at the Hawthorns in 1969. Ended up 1-0 if I recall but who won I can't remember?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Ron Davies. IIRC he cost the Saints £55,000 which was then a club record. Sublime header of the ball. Saints back then played with two wingers, Terry Paine and John Sydenham. They kept him supplied with plenty of crosses and he would keep heading them in. Great times.

Lives in the USA now, I believe 

Edited by ancient mariner
  • Like 2

Just now, PHILIPRISING said:

THE Charles brothers, John and Mel, both of whom played centre half and centre forward...

Before my time but the old man said John Charles was one of the best players he had seen play, with Matthews, who actually played for Arsenal in wartime.

7 minutes ago, ancient mariner said:

Ron Davies. IIRC he cost the Saints £55,000 which was then a club record. Sublime header of the ball. Saints back then played with two wingers, Terry Paine and John Sydenham. They kept him supplied with plenty of crosses and he would keep heading them in. Great times.

Lives in the USA now, I believe 

Thought he had died? Paine another great player. Davies was top scorer with 37 goals in 1966/67!

Edited by auntie doris

16 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Thought he had died? Paine another great player. Davies was top scorer with 37 goals in 1966/67!

Ahhh I stand corrected. You are right, Ron died in 2013 [note to self: check things before I post].

I remember Terry Paine getting booked for giving the ref a pair of glasses. The ref assumed that Paine was being facetious, but the crowd at the Dell were right up close to the pitch (and I mean close) and Paine had found the glasses near the touchline and was trying to give them to the ref for safe keeping.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ancient mariner said:

Ahhh I stand corrected. You are right, Ron died in 2013 [note to self: check things before I post].

I remember Terry Paine getting booked for giving the ref a pair of glasses. The ref assumed that Paine was being facetious, but the crowd at the Dell were right up close to the pitch (and I mean close) and Paine had found the glasses near the touchline and was trying to give them to the ref for safe keeping.

Chivers, Melia, Knapp...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE Charles brothers, John and Mel, both of whom played centre half and centre forward...

Talking of Welsh brothers - Ivor and Len Allchurch, both internationals

Cliff Jones’s brother Bryn played professionally, but wasn’t capped

• Like 2