British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

12 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Well remember a game at the Manor Ground when Wimbledon scored early on and then proceeded to play eleven behind the ball. Oxford dominated the rest of the game but were unable to get the ball in the net thereby losing...damn boring game I recall too!

Think that was one of their strengths. Breaking up the oppositions play, upsetting them, soaking up pressure and scoring a goal.....like you say, not attractive and for opposition fans bloody annoying

• Like 1

Wolves turned over again, they really do look like they are going backwards if anything this season. Looks like my double or quits bet with BWitcher is well on the cards :D

Are Man U genuine title contenders?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can remember Wimbledon at Highbury in the 90s..something like 9 games and 4 wins and 5 draws in favour of the Dons. Definite bogey team.

52 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Wolves turned over again, they really do look like they are going backwards if anything this season. Looks like my double or quits bet with BWitcher is well on the cards :D

Wolves definitely aren't playing very well. They haven't been right since returning after lock down in my opinion. Nuno has clearly tried to change things so that we are less of a counter-attacking team, but its no good having possession if you do nothing with it. 65% last night and rarely did much to threaten Pope in goal. Nuno very rarely speaks about refs so for him to come out afterwards and get stuck into Lee Mason was out of character. No doubt Mason is one of the poorer refs and he was weak last night allowing Burnley to waste time at will, so maybe it was just frustration on Nuno's part. 

The loss of Jiminez is obviously having an effect, but hopefully they have a replacement lined up for New Years Day.

Got to say I'm falling out of love with football. Watching with no crowds is crap and only serves to highlight the new trend of screaming at every little touch. Can't blame the players too much though as the refs fall for it practically every time. Add in the daft rules on handballs, the inconsistent use of VAR and the constant diving its not a very edifying spectacle.

As for United - they should be title contenders given the money they have spent. Devastating on the counter attack they still seem short against more defensive set-ups. 

Edited by salty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

Talking of BWitcher...... :o

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

United have to be contenders. 

I hope you are right Bagpuss:t:.But for Utd to be contenders they seriously have to improve their home form.For some strange reason they have won all 6 on the road in the league,but have only won 2 out of 7 at home.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 8:58 AM, DC2 said:

In Garth Crooks’ team of the week Callum Wilson, because:

“Wilson, who did not have a shot, was involved in 18 duels in the game. Nobody else was in more.”

No shots, no goals, no mention of assists, but now we have “duels”, whatever they are!  :D

SURPASSED himself now ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9078645/BBC-pundit-Garth-Crooks-ridiculed-fans-claiming-Joel-Matip-played-against-Spurs.html

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pinny said:

Perhaps that's why he has got 'lost in battle' from this forum. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. :D

Brentford  are an in form side though

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

United have to be contenders. 

I think if United get through the next 2 league games and take points then they could be the best of the rest.

However it's likely that we will drop points.

4 hours ago, tellboy said:

I hope you are right Bagpuss:t:.But for Utd to be contenders they seriously have to improve their home form.For some strange reason they have won all 6 on the road in the league,but have only won 2 out of 7 at home.

Been amazing away and shambolic at home. 

Get of to sloppy starts and can't defend.

United just need to focus on outscoring the opposition as it's more than likely that we concede.

Really hope Ole tries to win something this year as the team more than anything need to believe that they can win competitions.

Hopefully January will see a number of players leave as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CrystalCastles said:

I think if United get through the next 2 league games and take points then they could be the best of the rest.

However it's likely that we will drop points.

Been amazing away and shambolic at home. 

Get of to sloppy starts and can't defend.

United just need to focus on outscoring the opposition as it's more than likely that we concede.

Really hope Ole tries to win something this year as the team more than anything need to believe that they can win competitions.

Hopefully January will see a number of players leave as well. 

Agreed but we have certainly picked up on our home form now as well. I have been a big critic of OGS, but I keep changing my mind. He is, IMO, doing a better job than Lampard and a much better job than Arteta. I agree he has spent a bit, but a huge lump of that was on a bang average defender. Lampard had an open cheque book this summer and should be doing a lot better than he is. Still hasn't got Werner and Havertz firing at all yet.

Despite our recent good form, we still desperately need another center back, another right winger and another out and out striker. Cavani should and cannot be relied upon every time, Martial seems to be doing his usual of having a poor season after a pretty good one and Rashford is being played on the left more.

I’m sure it’s no coincidence that United are struggling at home with 75k folk not there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I’m sure it’s no coincidence that United are struggling at home with 75k folk not there.

Same with The Gooners...thats my excuse anyway:D

Saw that Paddy Fitzpatrick, ex Man U, had died, dementia related, along with a lot of the 1968 Euro Champions side. Versatile, combative player, was in the United side with George Best that beat Swindon Town and Don Rogers in 64 Youth Cup final.

34 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Same with The Gooners...thats my excuse anyway:D

Saw that Paddy Fitzpatrick, ex Man U, had died, dementia related, along with a lot of the 1968 Euro Champions side. Versatile, combative player, was in the United side with George Best that beat Swindon Town and Don Rogers in 64 Youth Cup final.

Never heard him called Paddy - he was from Aberdeen. I remember him most for his long hair in the late 60's. Injury caused him to retire early.