British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I’m sure it’s no coincidence that United are struggling at home with 75k folk not there.

Don't know. I was there at the start of February for the 0-0 draw with us. I've never known 75,000 people be so quiet.

3 hours ago, salty said:

Never heard him called Paddy - he was from Aberdeen. I remember him most for his long hair in the late 60's. Injury caused him to retire early.

Must be getting him mixed up with the Scot Paddy Crerand.

12 hours ago, Pinny said:

Agreed but we have certainly picked up on our home form now as well. I have been a big critic of OGS, but I keep changing my mind. He is, IMO, doing a better job than Lampard and a much better job than Arteta. I agree he has spent a bit, but a huge lump of that was on a bang average defender. Lampard had an open cheque book this summer and should be doing a lot better than he is. Still hasn't got Werner and Havertz firing at all yet.

Despite our recent good form, we still desperately need another center back, another right winger and another out and out striker. Cavani should and cannot be relied upon every time, Martial seems to be doing his usual of having a poor season after a pretty good one and Rashford is being played on the left more.

Definitely, i just can't work out whether it's through improvement, through luck,  better fixtures. A combination of all of  them. The next couple of games will probably give us a better gauge of where we are.

OGS has never really been a problem for me. The route cause of our problem has been players & performance.  At a big club, you can lose games, i think most reasonable fans will accept that we are no longer the best in England, and on a road to try to get back to that. 

However we have had plenty of abject performances, conceded poor goals on a regular basis and seem to lack mental strength, so can easily fold over and give up, as a result they have put OGS a few games away from the sack on several occasions.

This is by no means the greatest United squad,  but there is tremendous talent in it. For whatever reason they at times they struggle. I think that we don't have a team that always pulls in the same direction, specific players seem to rock the boat regularly and i think when we play badly -nobody really stands up to be counted. However they seem to come through for OGS when he has been under pressure.

Lots of statistics actually support the fact that OGS has improved the team, and i think if you actually compare his performance to other young managers it stands up.

Agree with your comments about Martial - he tends to be good in bursts, Cavani will need to be brought in every now and then to have a big impact.

Still remain a few players short, hopefully a few out the door in January and a player or two that comes in.

10 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I’m sure it’s no coincidence that United are struggling at home with 75k folk not there.

Yep, i think it's abundantly clear that even though OT at times is supposed to be a Library - that a home crowd makes a huge difference to United.

On 12/22/2020 at 7:25 PM, iris123 said:

Brentford  are an in form side though

And Bruce and our team were crap, with no plan. :( Brentford dropped 7 players and we only dropped 4, and still got shown up.

Edited by Tsunami

Liverpool with their recent injuries included still look to me the best side in the league, but absolutely no way by the margin they were last season. I don't know if last season was a freak one off or whether this virus and restrictions have severely hampered their training regime (that said, it would be the same for all sides) but even before their injuries, they didn't look the same force as last season for me. Villa gave them a right thrashing.

With Madrid and even more so Barcelona looking out of sorts and way off their usual standards these past couple of years, I don't think it will be long before one of those two come calling for Klopp and seeing as though in his spell at Liverpool he has already won the big two (PL & CL), would he shy away from a new challenge of turning Barca or Real back into the powerhouses they once were? And it would be hard to imagine him not taking a few players with him.

City look completely out of sorts - on their day they are unplayable but each season their day seems to become less and less each season. I still think on their day, they would thrash anyone in the league but they are having way too many off days now and don''t look anything like champions to me. Pep has a massive job on his hands there I think.

So yes, at the moment, being a United fan is probably at its most positive since Fergie left. We have some terrific players. Van De Beek, Rashford, Fernandes, Henderson, Greenwood. There is still some dead wood in the ranks that needs disposing of full time. Lingard for one, did I really read we are considering extending his contract?!

Pogba is another that has me pulling my hair out. We read all this about him being unhappy and his repulsive agent spouting venom and then he produces two masterclass performances. Just what do you do with him? Do you sell him on or keep him? It is a hard one.

But overall, I do think Liverpool will end up champions again with United, City and Chelsea making up the top four.

That would mean OGS has got us two top three finishes in two and a half seasons. Considering where we were before that, it actually is hard to fault him too much.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tsunami said:

And Bruce and our team were crap, with no plan. :( Brentford dropped 7 players and we only dropped 4, and still got shown up.

Jonjo Shelvey, ex-Charlton, is a fantastic passer of the ball, deserved to be captain. I'm sure Toney was ex Mag? Brucie's job is to keep them up, should achieve that, would keep a few of my family happy. Brentford have excellent team spirit, and with the new stadium deserve to be Premier League.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Jonjo Shelvey, ex-Charlton, is a fantastic passer of the ball, deserved to be captain. I'm sure Toney was ex Mag? Brucie's job is to keep them up, should achieve that. Would keep a few of my family happy. Brentford have excellent team spirit, and with the new stadium deserve to be Premier League.

Brentford played very well with some tricky football and fully deserved to win. Both Ivan Toney and Alan Armstrong were reserves at Newcastle and put out for loan. Eventually, and several recalls for Armstrong, both are sold for figures like £5M but now could be sold for £30 Million, especially Toney. Fortunately with the contract for Toney, the TOON is entitle to a bug part of that transfer fee as a sellon clause. Yes Shelvey is a natural passer, but avoids any defending duties and is not alway up for the game. I suspect he has head problems as these problems have been around for a long time now but not fixed. Not everyone's favourite, but who would buy him for the money Newcastle would expect for him, and  of course he is fully settled in Newcastle with his wife and kids, and loves living here. You can understand that last remark. It's God's country. :D

7 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Brentford played very well with some tricky football and fully deserved to win. Both Ivan Toney and Alan Armstrong were reserves at Newcastle and put out for loan. Eventually, and several recalls for Armstrong, both are sold for figures like £5M but now could be sold for £30 Million, especially Toney. Fortunately with the contract for Toney, the TOON is entitle to a bug part of that transfer fee as a sellon clause. Yes Shelvey is a natural passer, but avoids any defending duties and is not alway up for the game. I suspect he has head problems as these problems have been around for a long time now but not fixed. Not everyone's favourite, but who would buy him for the money Newcastle would expect for him, and  of course he is fully settled in Newcastle with his wife and kids, and loves living here. You can understand that last remark. It's God's country. :D

The baldy git was Charlton's youngest ever player. Volatile, problems with discipline.

20 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Brentford thoroughly deserved their win and all credit to them. As for Newcastle it was yet another un-inspiring performance with no tactical plan B after our plan A was found wanting. 

Plan B was to have 4 forwards on the pitch. Wilson, Joelinton, Gayle and Carroll. Even then they fannied about passing it across the back 4, rather than "getting in the mixer".

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, salty said:

Plan B was to have 4 forwards on the pitch. Wilson, Joelinton, Gayle and Carroll. Even then they fannied about passing it across the back 4, rather than "getting in the mixer".

Our brilliant tactician of a manager had decided to put on four forwards, sadly though he decided to take off any recognised winger that would've supplied any crosses for those forwards.

• Like 1

Highest PL score to date is Man Utd`s 9-0 demolition of Ipswich, that is under threat tonight with the Man City demolition of Newcastle.

12 minutes ago, screm said:

Highest PL score to date is Man Utd`s 9-0 demolition of Ipswich, that is under threat tonight with the Man City demolition of Newcastle.

Let's hope not screm. I'll still be watching it but probably from behind the sofa. :approve:

How are you at the moment. Any good news to report. 

I am a Brentford fan of many years standing

On 12/24/2020 at 10:57 AM, Tsunami said:

You may be right  but Brentford signed Toney from Peterborough would have thought sell on ended there.