British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

12 hours ago, chunky said:

Of course! He was an ex-Don!

Seriously though, I think the 70's and 80's was an era when England was struggling in the full-back area. I think that part of it is that I get annoyed by all the hype, as in most cases, the player fails to live up to it. When you think about all the future "superstars" that England promised, most end up temperamental and inconsistent - not that I think Kenny was that temperamental.

I expect your team would include Wise, Sanchez, Corkie, Beasant, Thorn, Fashanu.:DKing Kenny was hardly ever booked. Just unfortunate that he played in an Arsenal side managed by Terry Neill, one of their worst managers. Kenny now suffering from brain disorder and dementia.:(

An MBE at last for Jimmy Greaves in New Year.

Edited by auntie doris

Shaping up to be a good second half of the season. As I previously stated, I fancy Liverpool still but everyone is dropping points.

Have to laugh at the Scouse fans, mocking United for letting a lead slip to Leicester and then 24 hours later West Brom hold them to a draw at home with a manager who has been out of the game for three years. Brilliant.

Another loss for Chelsea, Spurs looked poor against Wolves. It really is anyones league at the moment.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, auntie doris said:

I expect your team would include Wise, Sanchez, Corkie, Beasant, Thorn, Fashanu.:D

Well, seeing as we are talking about an All-Time "England" team, why would I include someone like Lawrie Sanchez, who played for Northern Ireland? :nono: Unless you're one of those Americans who think Ireland is a part of England? :rofl:

Seriously though, as good as the players were, there were no truly outstanding individuals. We relied on team work and determination. Oh, and Vinnie's ball-grabbing... I think that the most talented of all was Dennis Wise; it was his temperament that stopped him going on to greater things.

Going back over the years, I think some of our best players were Bob Stockley, Mick Mahon, John Leslie, and Billy Holmes (who died way too young).

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

Hampton and Richmond v Dulwich will be shown live at 3

The 'Amlet just scored!

Thanks for the link, Doug; enjoying this!

EDIT: Now 2-0...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chunky said:

The 'Amlet just scored!

Thanks for the link, Doug; enjoying this!

EDIT: Now 2-0...

Cracking game. That second Hamlet goal was well worth it on its own !! Bossed the first half and look in control now

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Cracking game. That second Hamlet goal was well worth it on its own !! Bossed the first half and look in control now

Unfortunately I missed the first 20 minutes (had to take the missus over to a friend's house). Having the extra man should help, but of course, the sending-off led to the first goal.

Takes me back to the purity of watching the Dons in the Southern League days...

• Like 1

Borehamwood v Wealdstone cancelled due to Covid

47 minutes ago, chunky said:

Well, seeing as we are talking about an All-Time "England" team, why would I include someone like Lawrie Sanchez, who played for Northern Ireland? :nono: Unless you're one of those Americans who think Ireland is a part of England? :rofl:

Seriously though, as good as the players were, there were no truly outstanding individuals. We relied on team work and determination. Oh, and Vinnie's ball-grabbing... I think that the most talented of all was Dennis Wise; it was his temperament that stopped him going on to greater things.

Going back over the years, I think some of our best players were Bob Stockley, Mick Mahon, John Leslie, and Billy Holmes (who died way too young).

Born in souf London, Mum was from NI, just couldn't get in England team, like Vinnie Jones, born in Watford played for Wales as had Welsh grandad. Never mastered the anthem.

Edited by auntie doris

7 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Borehamwood v Wealdstone cancelled due to Covid

As is Everton v Man City due to more Covid cases in the Man City camp.

Should have been 3-0!

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Should have been 3-0!

Dulwich did miss a sitter at 0-0....one of the comments was 'quick poll on who's nan would have scored that' :D

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Dulwich did miss a sitter at 0-0....one of the comments was 'quick poll on who's nan would have scored that' :D

Are you that Dulwich fan in Hamburg they just mentioned?

Just now, chunky said:

Are you that Dulwich fan in Hamburg they just mentioned?

No. There is a friendship with Hamburg team Altona 93. So a number of Dulwich fans in Hamburg