British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

Sounds like there are more viewers/listeners from abroad than there are in the UK!

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Could have been 5-3 to Amlet. Great advert for non league football

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Could have been 5-3 to Amlet. Great advert for non league football

Made a nice change from watching Rashford and Co. And a real playing surface! Very narrow pitch, though...

Sheffield Wednesday sack manager Tony Pulis after 45 days in charge.:blink:

5 minutes ago, screm said:

Sheffield Wednesday sack manager Tony Pulis after 45 days in charge.:blink:

Disappointing, fancied our chances against them in the FA Cup with him there.

Hopefully he doesn't reappear on Soccer Saturday!

Big Sam might go the same way if he’s not careful.

11 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Disappointing, fancied our chances against them in the FA Cup with him there.

Hopefully he doesn't reappear on Soccer Saturday!

I agree, boring football and boring punditry 

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Big Sam might go the same way if he’s not careful.

Leave him alone he did a great job tonight 

• Haha 2

West Brom look in serious trouble, surely they are certs to go down with Sheffield?

United made very hard work of beating Wolves but we did and got the three points. Have to beat these lesser teams if we have any chance of the top 2 this season.

Surely, if Wolves are as rich and ambitious as BWitcher always says, then they need to sack the manager and have a big clear out. I am struggling to see which way Nuno is taking the club to be honest with you. I certainly cannot see them challenging the top 4 with the current set up but maybe others are seeing things I am not.

Every game that passes, its looking more and more like a Liverpool/United top 2 this season. If United go on a roll like they did after Fernandes signing last season, who knows? What a signing Fernandes has been as well. Complete quality.

You look at the league table and see Spurs and Chelsea and it makes you realise that Ole is not doing a bad job after all. And he is getting experience at the same time. Can only be good news.

Edited by Pinny
adding more

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

West Brom look in serious trouble, surely they are certs to go down with Sheffield?

United made very hard work of beating Wolves but we did and got the three points. Have to beat these lesser teams if we have any chance of the top 2 this season.

Surely, if Wolves are as rich and ambitious as BWitcher always says, then they need to sack the manager and have a big clear out. I am struggling to see which way Nuno is taking the club to be honest with you. I certainly cannot see them challenging the top 4 with the current set up but maybe others are seeing things I am not.

Every game that passes, its looking more and more like a Liverpool/United top 2 this season. If United go on a roll like they did after Fernandes signing last season, who knows? What a signing Fernandes has been as well. Complete quality.

You look at the league table and see Spurs and Chelsea and it makes you realise that Ole is not doing a bad job after all. And he is getting experience at the same time. Can only be good news.

I don't follow football anything like I used to nowadays but the major league will only ever be dominated by a few teams who have the money and resources as the rest only attempt to play 'catch up'. The likes of Manchester Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea (didn't Manchester City 'buy' success?)etc will always be there or thereabouts when titles are handed out (you only need to check out past champions since the formation of the Premier League) with the likes of Leicester coming along once in a blue moon to steal their thunder. The rest may have a moment's glory but survival must be their game plan and avoid relegation and therefore, more importantly, the riches at stake?

Edited by steve roberts

I think OGS has done a very decent job, trouble is our friends the MSM absolutely go to town on him and question his future whenever United lose a game, as we know from the whole COVID thing the media have a massive affect on what many people think and perceive unfortunately. Don’t get me wrong, United have had a few very bad defeats and went out of the Champions League (in a tough group) but as an overall picture his tenure has been pretty good so far. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinny said:

United made hard work of beating Wolves last night because Wolves played so well. Considering we were missing Jiminez, not to mention Boly, the Donk and Jonny from our first choice 11 and we had 2 youngsters making their full debuts I thought we did a really good job of keeping United at arms length. We definitely need to be signing a striker asap because Fabio is a long way off providing the solution. Nuno got a team together for promotion then added to it for the first season in the Prem and has continued evolving the squad since. Only Saiss and Coady remain from pre-Nuno times and youngsters like Hoever, Ait-Nouri, Kilman and Neto all look good for the future.

For what its worth United look far worse when they have Matic and Pogba in the team. Very ponderous in their build up last night. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pinny said:

West Brom put too much into getting a point at Anfield. Playing against Leeds you simply have to take advantage of how open they play - But Big Sam would never set a team up to score lots of goals.

Very happy to have got 4 points in two key games, great to take 3 points against Wolves. Taken the pressure of now.

Especially with league games against Villa & Liverpool next.

Hopefully we progress in the Cups - our main aim (Which is also OGS) has to be to win a competition this year

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I think OGS has done a very decent job, trouble is our friends the MSM absolutely go to town on him and question his future whenever United lose a game, as we know from the whole COVID thing the media have a massive affect on what many people think and perceive unfortunately. Don’t get me wrong, United have had a few very bad defeats and went out of the Champions League (in a tough group) but as an overall picture his tenure has been pretty good so far. 

From a football perspective, i think we have improved every year, and are much closer to the way SAF United teams played than under Moyes/LVG/Jose and that's shown in the amount of goals scored by United. 

However at the same time, those humiliating defeats have been awful, we have conceded goals that professional clubs shouldn't concede.

I think Ole needs to show that his team is capable of winning a Trophy, playing positive football- the players and the club need it.

1 hour ago, salty said:

United made hard work of beating Wolves last night because Wolves played so well. Considering we were missing Jiminez, not to mention Boly, the Donk and Jonny from our first choice 11 and we had 2 youngsters making their full debuts I thought we did a really good job of keeping United at arms length. We definitely need to be signing a striker asap because Fabio is a long way off providing the solution. Nuno got a team together for promotion then added to it for the first season in the Prem and has continued evolving the squad since. Only Saiss and Coady remain from pre-Nuno times and youngsters like Hoever, Ait-Nouri, Kilman and Neto all look good for the future.

For what its worth United look far worse when they have Matic and Pogba in the team. Very ponderous in their build up last night. 

United made hard work of beating Wolves.

Tactically United played exactly into the hands of Nuno. Playing 1 up front against 5 at the back was always going to make Wolves good.  However absolutely nothing wrong with Wolves defending and try and get a point, especially missing key players.

All things considered as a team losing Jota in the summer and Jimenez to injury you have done relatively well.

However at the same time i think Nuno has gone backwards. Wolves came up with a very clear philosophy and have in fairness done very well, but Nuno now seems to be going away from that philosophy probably out of necessity, and i don't think you have played as well this year.

Other teams in the 1st half of the season have improved and overtaken you - it remains to be seen whether they will all finish above Wolves.

Two wins in a row for The Gooners, just free points behind the Spammers, and 6 behind the Pensioners and Yiddos. The Town trounced 4-1 home to MK Dons. Now second from bottom, only Burton have let in more goals.