British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Far too many players from the  sixties and seventies in that line up when football was "crap" according to Orion.

Happy to admit that nutrition, training, fitness, physique and basic skills have improved over the years but those players stand out from their eras and although it’s only a guess would be better than today’s England team.  At the moment only Kane looks like he might challenge those named.

Reguilon, Lo Celso, Lamela and Lanzini break the rules by all spending Christmas Day together with their families. Lamela and Lo Celso have apparently now tested positive.

A: Stupid to break rules

B: Even more stupid for taking photo of you breaking rules

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Happy to admit that nutrition, training, fitness, physique and basic skills have improved over the years but those players stand out from their eras and although it’s only a guess would be better than today’s England team.  At the moment only Kane looks like he might challenge those named.

I would generally agree and great players from any era would have adjusted and/or fitted in whatever the criteria. The same with any sportsmen/women whether it be field or motor sport. I once recall Bwitcher suggesting that George Best wouldn't have been the player he was if playing the modern game...total nonsense as a differnt approach would have been required and the correct guidance/training/mindset put in place. The cream will always rise to the top whatever the era.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I would generally agree and great players from any era would have adjusted and/or fitted in whatever the criteria. The same with any sportsmen/women whether it be field or motor sport. I once recall Bwitcher suggesting that George Best wouldn't have been the player he was if playing the modern game...total nonsense as a differnt approach would have been required and the correct guidance/training/mindset put in place. The cream will always rise to the top whatever the era.

In my opinion it makes the players of yesteryear seem even better as if they were around now with these manic training regimes and diets etc they would be even better than what they are remembered as .

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DC2 said:

Here’s my all time England team from players that I’ve seen:

Shilton

Des Walker, Bobby Moore, Tony Adams

Bryan Robson

Keegan, Bobby Charlton, Steven Gerrard, Beckham

Shearer, Lineker

No top goalscorer for England:o;)

1 minute ago, Wolfsbane said:

...Jimmy Greaves would make any England team for me and I wouldn't look further than Bobby Moore as captain.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

Is that Rooney?  Can’t stand him. In justification I’ll say he scored his goals in qualifiers against lesser teams.  :P

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Is that Rooney?  Can’t stand him. In justification I’ll say he scored his goals in qualifiers against lesser teams.  :P

Comparisons are difficult as there seems to be more international games than ever. Remember Billy Wright’s 105 caps? How many would he have been able to achieve 50/60 years later? Probably 200

Jimmy Greaves’ goals per game far outweighs Rooney’s

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Comparisons are difficult as there seems to be more international games than ever. Remember Billy Wright’s 105 caps? How many would he have been able to achieve 50/60 years later? Probably 200

I didn’t see enough of Greaves to judge.  Michael Owen was the only one to rival Shearer and Lineker in my thinking.  

And I didn’t choose any fullbacks just because we haven’t had any that were “World Class”.

All of the eleven could have made it into a World team at some point in their careers.

54 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Jimmy Greaves' goal scoring record is well documented but Brian Clough's record tends to get overlooked. In 296 appearances he scored 274 goals however as he describes at length in his book "Walking on Water" he never had a fair crack of the whip representing his country which were very few and far.

7 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Jimmy Greaves' goal scoring record is well documented but Brian Clough's record tends to get overlooked. In 296 appearances he scored 274 goals however as he describes at length in his book "Walking on Water" he never had a fair crack of the whip representing his country which were very few and far.

I may be wrong but my recollection was that Brian Cloughs injury ended his career  before he really hit the international scene.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 4:04 AM, chunky said:

I remember that day; i was only 9 at the time, and was at my grandparents' house. I'd never known anything like that, and it is something that has stayed with me. Shocking that something as simple as going to a football match can affect the lives of so many, but sadly, that's the way life is...

The disaster certainly changed the design of outdoor staircases at public venues.  

6 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

I may be wrong but my recollection was that Brian Cloughs injury ended his career  before he really hit the international scene.

Yes, he really ended his career in a challenge with goalkeeper Chris Harker. Badly injured his medial and cruciate ligaments in his knee which in these days, with todays medical advances, the chances are he would have recovered from his injuries. On his recovery he played a further times before deciding to retire and go on to be the UK"s best manager. :P   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Yes it was a clash with a goalkeeper whose shoulder slammed into his knee and his playing career was basically over at the age of 27.

24 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Yes, he really ended his career in a challenge with goalkeeper Chris Harker. Badly injured his medial and cruciate ligaments in his knee which in these days, with todays medical advances, the chances are he would have recovered from his injuries. On his recovery he played a further times before deciding to retire and go on to be the UK"s best manager. :P   

Just read your post! ;)

• Haha 1