British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

Can't believe Newcastle lost again,especially as Shelvey was refereeing the game:D

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Can't believe Newcastle lost again,especially as Shelvey was refereeing the game:D

Better performance tonight, but it's still a loss and no points. 

5 hours ago, DC2 said:

You’re defending the indefensible, Tim.

The whole economics of football and society needs re-working.

If football’s based on a fairly average fan paying out £1,500 a year for Sky and BT, £2,000 a year for match tickets and £500 a year for merchandise, it’s time to put another 10p on income tax and revamp the NHS and third world poverty.

Let’s get our priorities right.

Elite football isn't really based on what the average fan pays out anymore.

Extremely wealthy owners, sponsorship deals and official partners and massive TV contracts far outweigh revenue generated directly from fans.

I don't agree with the Salaries, but our whole culture is based on capitalism, and this is a natural consequence of it.

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

Wasn't that the case with Real some years back and the council got them out of trouble  ? Same thing seems to happen to Polish speedway clubs and I imagine someone will come to Barca's rescue here

Yes the council bought Reals training ground for an overly inflated Fee wiping out there debt.

Hope Barca go under - shocking that they can be in this situation but seems to have conveniently slipped out of UEFA's radar. Guarantee UEFA will turn a blind eye to it as well.

1 hour ago, Tim G said:

Because it totally is, you are forgetting they clubs are businesses and who would want the hassle without the return. To make this fair you would have to put a salary cap on every job in the country.

Remember quite a few of the stars have foundations that do loads of charity work in the places that you are saying that need the help. So they are helping out in these areas.

Sport is not  just a pleasure for these people it is a career.

I expect Rhys Williams wages are closer to £10,000 than a £100,000 a week.

People just have it in for footballers as they are easy targets and come up with strange ideas.

People do have it in for footballers, people seem to turn a blind eye to the fact in most cases football clubs are owned by even richer people.

• Like 3

Much needed win for Leeds tonight. Newcastle might need a few new players, but they need a new manager desperately. Bruce far too defensive, if they had played less negative first half, they probably would have won the game.

• Like 1

Good 3-1 away win for the Arsenal at Southampton, moves them above Chelsea into 8th. Makes a massive difference to have their 2 best players, Smith Rowe and Saka, in the line-up. The Spammers are going well. The Scousers now 5th!

Away win for Charlton, home defeat for the Town, and Wilshere scores on Bournemouth comeback.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Better performance tonight, but it's still a loss and no points. 

They scored though:party:

10 hours ago, CrystalCastles said:

Hope Barca go under - shocking that they can be in this situation but seems to have conveniently slipped out of UEFA's radar. Guarantee UEFA will turn a blind eye to it as well.

Well I was going to say that is a bit unfair as it is not just a football club, but a European sports club. But I see the Basketball side of things is just as bad

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/1161089/barcelona-closed-the-2019-20-campaign-with-a-28-2-million-deficit/

Although Covid has played its part in that

Thing I Barca are more like a national side for Catalonia and will never be allowed to get into too much trouble

Williams on 250000 euros a year according to one website ?

Thought Leeds we’re going to throw it away in the second half last night, started to play a bit dirty , it was really a game of two half’s !!

Newcastle played really well second half , why was Maximilian (spelling ) not playing from the start (injury ?)

Man city top of the League but united looking strong :unsure:

55 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Williams on 250000 euros a year according to one website ?

Thought Leeds we’re going to throw it away in the second half last night, started to play a bit dirty , it was really a game of two half’s !!

Newcastle played really well second half , why was Maximilian (spelling ) not playing from the start (injury ?)

Man city top of the League but united looking strong :unsure:

...a throw back to their sixties/seventies side! :D

1 hour ago, topaz325 said:

Williams on 250,000 euros a year according to one website ?

There you are then, that seems about right, as he wasn’t out of his depth against those paid £15 million a year.

Tax footballers 100% above £200,000.

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

There you are then, that seems about right, as he wasn’t out of his depth against those paid £15 million a year.

Tax footballers 100% above £200,000.

Which will mean they will ask the clubs for higher salaries which will then mean more cost for supporters attending and watching from home.

9 minutes ago, Tim G said:

Which will mean they will ask the clubs for higher salaries which will then mean more cost for supporters attending and watching from home.

Why would they if salaries were capped at £200,000?  They couldn’t get any more!  It would be illegal.

Would make it about £4250.00 a week for Williams if I have worked it out right?

33 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Why would they if salaries were capped at £200,000?  They couldn’t get any more!  It would be illegal.

Well that then makes your 100% tax above £200,000 a pointless idea so no extra money raised.

Look at the AJ/Fury fight, between them they will earn in the region of £100 million, now this means the UK taxman is going to get a major windfall from this. Pay them both £200,000 and look at the money you have just cost he government.

Now don’t get me wrong I think sportsman can be overpaid but if a promoter/club thinks they are worth I think fair play to them.

2 hours ago, Tim G said:

Well that then makes your 100% tax above £200,000 a pointless idea so no extra money raised.

Look at the AJ/Fury fight, between them they will earn in the region of £100 million, now this means the UK taxman is going to get a major windfall from this. Pay them both £200,000 and look at the money you have just cost he government.

Now don’t get me wrong I think sportsman can be overpaid but if a promoter/club thinks they are worth I think fair play to them.

“Now don’t get me wrong I think sportsman can be overpaid but if a promoter/club thinks they are worth I think fair play to them.”

You see, that’s the standard capitalist’s response.

For you, sportsmen getting millions is justified and you don’t want to change it.

For you, people dying of malnutrition is just a fact of life and when presented with a means to change it you argue against it?