British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

12 hours ago, auntie doris said:

I remember them winning at Highbury 4-2 one season, and losing 3 FA Cup Finals in 60s. Frank McLintock, Arsenal captain, was ex Leicester. Banks, Shilton, Nish, Cross, Clarke, Glover, Norman, Sjoberg, King, Appleton, Goodfellow, Stringfellow, Dougan, Gibson, Lochead, Fern, Weller, Worthington, Whitworth...............

I remember Alan Birchenall who also played for Chelsea.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, auntie doris said:

I remember them winning at Highbury 4-2 one season, and losing 3 FA Cup Finals in 60s. Frank McLintock, Arsenal captain, was ex Leicester. Banks, Shilton, Nish, Cross, Clarke, Glover, Norman, Sjoberg, King, Appleton, Goodfellow, Stringfellow, Dougan, Gibson, Lochead, Fern, Weller, Worthington, Whitworth...............

“Stringfellow”?  Aren’t you confusing your memories?

Whatever next, that well known defender, Snakebite?  :D

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DC2 said:

“Stringfellow”?  Aren’t you confusing your memories?

Whatever next, that well known defender, Snakebite?  :D

It wasn't Peter Stringfellow:party:that Sheffield nightclub owner

Edited by auntie doris

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I remember Alan Birchenall who also played for Chelsea.

The Birch was unlucky not to get full England cap, was good number 10 at Chelsea and Palace.

Are Oxford classed as Midlands?

Edited by auntie doris

2 hours ago, jrs said:

Nonsense ! Coventry are by far the best team in the Midlands. And will return to former glories. They have suffered from various conspiracies over the years,  and the latest involves the old enemy Leicester loaning Coventry a supposedly good player,  and he's been nothing but a disaster and I do believe that since he signed in January we've only won one match and we're in trouble. Deliberate attempt by the enemy to disrupt our young team's rythymn and progress. Not to mention how Leicester conspired with Norwich to prise away get their hands on one of out best academy products. It's all a conspiracy I say.  Bloody football    :angry:

;)

Aren't they moving back to Cov?

43 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Aren't they moving back to Cov?

At last fortunately. But the most important thing now is that we stay in the Championship. And things seem to have taken a turn for the worse since January. It'll be just as nerve racking as all those years trying to stay in the premiership, and it would be another let down if we go back to the Ricoh as a relegated team. I'll have to go back to saying my prayers every night.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jrs said:

At last fortunately. But the most important thing now is that we stay in the Championship. And things seem to have taken a turn for the worse since January. It'll be just as nerve racking as all those years trying to stay in the premiership, and it would be another let down if we go back to the Ricoh as a relegated team. I'll have to go back to saying my prayers every night.

A far cry from 1967-2001 in top flight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, auntie doris said:

The Birch was unlucky not to get full England cap, was good number 10 at Chelsea and Palace.

Are Oxford classed as Midlands?

We are classed as South Midlands and, if I recall, the "U's" would occasionally feature on the "The Big Match" (LWT) as well as "Star Soccer".

19 hours ago, auntie doris said:

I remember them winning at Highbury 4-2 one season, and losing 3 FA Cup Finals in 60s. Frank McLintock, Arsenal captain, was ex Leicester. Banks, Shilton, Nish, Cross, Clarke, Glover, Norman, Sjoberg, King, Appleton, Goodfellow, Stringfellow, Gibson, Dougan, Gibson, Lochead, Fern, Weller, Worthington, Whitworth, Sammels...........

You forgot Rodrigues, Woollett, Kellard...

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, chunky said:

You forgot Rodrigues, Woollett, Kellard...

Sorry...you forgot Chalmers, Roberts:D

Edited by auntie doris

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Norwich team so in control of matches and looking so unlikely to concede. Last night at Forest was like a training game. Fingers crossed this season can translate into something much better in the Premier League than last year. 

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Norwich team so in control of matches and looking so unlikely to concede. Last night at Forest was like a training game. Fingers crossed this season can translate into something much better in the Premier League than last year. 

Think your board are just happy to have a squad that yoyo's. Everybody wants to stay Premier League but Norwich doesn't have the structure to be sustainable at that level. One thing you don't see at many clubs is that Norwich have people in charge that are realistic & don't sack manager's for sacking sake. 

37 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Think your board are just happy to have a squad that yoyo's. Everybody wants to stay Premier League but Norwich doesn't have the structure to be sustainable at that level. One thing you don't see at many clubs is that Norwich have people in charge that are realistic & don't sack manager's for sacking sake. 

I wouldn’t say they are happy with yoyoing but they have always said they won’t spend money they don’t  have or sell the club to anybody who wouldn’t regard it as they do. Because of the money required nowadays in the PL we are likely to yoyo quite a bit but there is that hope that the way we play and the clubs ability to develop their own might lead to survival and even growth like Burnley for example. 

Of course the price of success is bigger clubs cherry picking what we have, it’s going to be almost impossible to keep Aarons Buendia and Cantwell in the summer and eventually Farke will move on to bigger things. 

• Like 1

• 17th March 2015 - Ollie Watkins plays 10 minutes as a sub for Weston-super-Mare in a 2-1 defeat at Basingstoke
  • 18th March 2021 - Ollie Watkins called up to the England squad

A proud moment for the Exeter academy but even more so for him and his family. :t:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Cheese said:
  • 17th March 2015 - Ollie Watkins plays 10 minutes as a sub for Weston-super-Mare in a 2-1 defeat at Basingstoke
  • 18th March 2021 - Ollie Watkins called up to the England squad

A proud moment for the Exeter academy but even more so for him and his family. :t:

Good for Ollie and Exeter, a lot of credit however should go to Brentford.  It was they that turned him into a striker