British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badge

A Orlov

Bwitcher had a very good analytical mind and certainly opened my eyes to a number of things I’d never given much thought to, but, yes, he did sometimes go too far with people who disagreed.

Even if they were obviously wrong he shouldn’t have called them cretinous and the like.

But unlike many on here he could argue a point rationally and I would definitely welcome him back.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Bwitcher had a very good analytical mind and certainly opened my eyes to a number of things I’d never given much thought to, but, yes, he did sometimes go too far with people who disagreed.

Even if they were obviously wrong he shouldn’t have called them cretinous and the like.

But unlike many on here he could argue a point rationally and I would definitely welcome him back.

Well you would wouldn't you.  Brothers in arms. :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Beg to differ there E I.  BWitcher would argue whether he was right or not, but never wrong according to him, and in the process would demean you to the extent that he had you on two counts to answer. He insulted everyone that tried to oppose him, and in doing so, many decent commentators on the subject left the thread, which incidentally DC2 was/is also 'good' at. I had people contact me if I backed off at times, especially on the COVID thread,  and they encouraged me to continue as I seemed to represent their views and they didn't feel like they wanted to continue with it. He majored on certain subjects such as the Maddy McCann , xGoals, COVID, Football and woe betide you if you had a different point of view.

I and many others don't regret his absence from this forum.     

Well perhaps that we are all different. Perhaps it’s that I have absolutely no interest in football, or goals, and I have my own opinions on Covid so I don’t really get too involved in all that. I try to take the view that on a discussion forum you can’t expect to get on with everyone. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, E I Addio said:

I liked Bwitcher, although I can understand why the snowflakes didn’t. OK, he was rather forthright in the way he expressed himself at times but better that than constantly whingeing .  The thing about Bwitcher was you could have a disagreement with him ( and I had my share) but when it was done it was done. He didn’t come back sniping or trolling or trying to dredge old issues up as some do. I’ve  had my run-ins with him then we’ d be pm-ing each other about speedway and never any hard feelings. Decent bloke I thought.

:D:D:D

You forgot to add "London, lefty, latte-drinking liberal elite, etc.".....come on, stick with the script now.

I've no interest in exchanging personal insults with strangers online and it's a big turn-off for others too. So what would start as a promising, robust discussion would be reduced to some unhinged insult-laded rant on his part when he was incapable of attacking the argument. The result being:

• Some (like me) aren't willing to go down that route (why insult people I don't know?) and when it does, I just take it as a win and move on
  • Some go head-to-head with the insults and it spirals
  • Some more sensitive souls are put off engaging in discussion through fear of personal attacks

Whichever way you look at it, it's an approach that killed sensible, grown-up debate across the forum.

Edited by falcace
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Well you would wouldn't you.  Brothers in arms. :(

Personally i would welcome any person back, i didn't agree with all he said, but that what's forums are about

it would be a poor place if all we had were people that agreed with us, no discussion and no opposing views, how boring

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Personally i would welcome any person back, i didn't agree with all he said, but that what's forums are about

it would be a poor place if all we had were people that agreed with us, no discussion and no opposing views, how boring

Yeah, ya right.

3 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Trouble he would "brow beat" people into submission and would often twist/manipulate the discussion to suit. Personally I found him tiresome.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

I found though that, with him, there was no 'discussion' and only ever one possible view - his.

Edited by Vincent Blachshadow
  • Like 8

47 minutes ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

I found though that, with him, there was no 'discussion' and only ever one possible view - his.

He was hardly unique in that respect on this forum !

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

He was hardly unique in that respect on this forum !

True, I might disagree with lots of opinions on this forum, as might we all.

However, the fact that he alone was constantly engaged in bitter, haranguing contests on here suggests that he had a fundamentally different mindset to most. 

Edited by Kester
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, Kester said:

True, I might disagree with lots of opinions on this forum, as might we all.

However, the fact that he alone was constantly engaged in bitter, haranguing contests on here suggests that he had a fundamentally different mindset to most. 

Oh well, I must accept the verdict of my forum peers and assume I am in a minority of one . :D., Perhaps I just knew when to bite and when to let it go, or perhaps we were just birds of a feather. 

“All in all is bound to fall with a crushing but meaningless blow “:)

I tend to avoid politics on here as a remainer and mild left winger but there are some good posters - Deano being one as he has the authority and knowledge of being there and doing it. The language and quality of argument can be very poor; we wouldn't do it if we were sat round having a pint.

Generally speaking the worst thing about some posters is the unwillingness to accept thats its not 1973 and that the big names won't be back for the foreseeable

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ch958 said:

I tend to avoid politics on here as a remainer and mild left winger but there are some good posters - Deano being one as he has the authority and knowledge of being there and doing it. The language and quality of argument can be very poor; we wouldn't do it if we were sat round having a pint.

Generally speaking the worst thing about some posters is the unwillingness to accept thats its not 1973 and that the big names won't be back for the foreseeable

And that's a fact ...

20 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

And that's a fact ...

as a lifetime watcher of 2nd tier speedway I've never lacked for entertainment

2 minutes ago, ch958 said:

as a lifetime watcher of 2nd tier speedway I've never lacked for entertainment

Absolutely, i have seen some very entertaining meetings at Mildenhall in the NDL ...