British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Fairytale of New York...

11 minutes ago, chunky said:

No it isn't. Even though it is now regarded as a derogatory term for a gay man, that is not the way it is used is the song; it was just used as an insult that rhymed.

I suspect you’re wrong there unless the song was written before faggot became a well known term for a gay person.

Otherwise “bigot” would have made more sense.

9 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Life would be a lot easier and less people would be offended if we stuck to proper grammar , ie “ heterosexual “and “homosexual”. 

Life would also be a lot easier if people used common sense...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I suspect you’re wrong there unless the song was written before faggot became a well known term for a gay person.

Otherwise “bigot” would have made more sense.

Why? Is there any indication that he is bigoted? That's a completely different thing, and doesn't make ANY sense in the context of the song.

Anyway, "bigot" doesn't rhyme with "maggot"...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

Why? Is there any indication that he is bigoted? That's a completely different thing, and doesn't make ANY sense in the context of the song.

Anyway, "bigot" doesn't rhyme with "maggot"...

Bigot doesn’t rhyme with maggot?

Really?

And in what sense was the word faggot being used, as a reference to a gay person, a bundle of twigs or a meat ball?

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

- it's not an important or integral part of the song. 

Your right, it's just another word, lets take all the words out.........it's a lovely tune.:rolleyes:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Bigot doesn’t rhyme with maggot?

Really?

And in what sense was the word faggot being used, as a reference to a gay person, a bundle of twigs or a meat ball?

Surely you’ve defeated your own argument there...... she isn’t calling her (?ex) partner gay, a bundle of twigs orcs meat ball, she’s insulting him........

1 minute ago, tyretrax said:

Your right, it's just another word, lets take all the words out.........it's a lovely tune.:rolleyes:

Yes, am sure a lot of us could do it on the karaoke if there was no words, if karaoke is ever gonna be allowed.  ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

Don't give Humph any ideas!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Surely you’ve defeated your own argument there...... she isn’t calling her (?ex) partner gay, a bundle of twigs orcs meat ball, she’s insulting him........

Exactly...

9 minutes ago, JC71 said:

What do you mean?

Surely maggot and faggot were chosen both because they rhyme and because they can be derogatory.

Otherwise two different rhyming, derogatory words would have been chosen, such as scamp and tramp.

Edited by DC2

12 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

We could all just 'hum' it, like the oldies did back in the day? :t:

Edited by ruffdiamond

13 minutes ago, DC2 said:

What do you mean?

Surely maggot and faggot were chosen both because they rhyme and because they can be derogatory.

Otherwise two different rhyming, derogatory words would have been chosen, such as scamp and tramp.

I think I may have slightly misunderstood your post at the top of the page, however to me faggot isn’t associated with homosexuality, it’s more associated with someone being weak, soft, possibly cowardly, lacking a backbone....... like I said before, if faggot was a word I used, I think it would apply to both hereto / homosexual people, and in that way, it fits perfectly...... she’s bitter (she’s an old on junk), he’s a drunk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JC71 said:

I think I may have slightly misunderstood your post at the top of the page, however to me faggot isn’t associated with homosexuality, it’s more associated with someone being weak, soft, possibly cowardly, lacking a backbone....... like I said before, if faggot was a word I used, I think it would apply to both hereto / homosexual people, and in that way, it fits perfectly...... she’s bitter (she’s an old on junk), he’s a drunk

Best not say nowt,,, a remember walking home one night and there was a guy trying to steal my neighbour's gate, I didn't say anything incase he took a fence.

• Haha 2

Just now, ruffdiamond said:

Best not say nowt,,, a remember walking home one night and there was a guy trying to steal my neighbour's gate, I didn't say anything incase he took a fence.

I LOVE that joke....... I reckon I use it at least once a month still now....... you can really suck people in with it :rofl:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JC71 said:

I LOVE that joke....... I reckon I use it at least once a month still now....... you can really suck people in with it :rofl:

Best joke I like telling is the one where I say that the local zoo has lost a piecost. The usual response I get is "What's a piecost" to which I reply "about £1-50!"

• Haha 1