British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Fairytale of New York...

...is not being banned this Christmas, but it is being censored by the BBC.

The lyrics were NEVER intended to to be derogatory to a certain section of society, but of course, we can't "offend" people, can we? I know language constantly evolves, but we shouldn't just ban words because they are now being used for something other than their original meaning.

So, how long before we are banned from eating Mr Brain's faggots with Pease pudding?

I just thought it great that they told that odious actor and right wing pillock from Morse to #### off, when he gave them support

• Like 1

Sanitising the relationship between a p1sshead and a scaghead......... mental.......... the very fact she's calling her 'boyfriend' it shows its context....... I fear for Gay Dad's back catalogue 

36 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I just thought it great that they told that odious actor and right wing pillock from Morse to #### off, when he gave them support

Lewis ...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chunky said:

...is not being banned this Christmas, but it is being censored by the BBC.

The lyrics were NEVER intended to to be derogatory to a certain section of society, but of course, we can't "offend" people, can we? I know language constantly evolves, but we shouldn't just ban words because they are now being used for something other than their original meaning.

So, how long before we are banned from eating Mr Brain's faggots with Pease pudding?

Is it because of the word “faggott” in the song?

The word “n#gger” must be used 100 times in The Wire and that’s not censored.

It appears to be acceptable because it’s the vernacular of the black characters, but, of course, it’s also the vernacular of Nazi racists; would they be allowed to use it in a drama?

As a modern society we need to either ban such words (save where their use reflects an historical context, such as Roots) or accept them      and allow individuals to understand the context and use their own censorship if they prefer.

Oliver’s Army includes n#gger and it’s constantly on local radio!

The usual and predictable outcry about 'political correctness gone mad', from those who're probably not even Pogue fans.

I'm generally not in favour of censoring and re-writing popular songs, and maybe I'm missing some plastic Irish vernacular, but I never got the context of 'faggot' in that song and I suspect it was just added to rhyme. Unless the song is about a gay couple - in which case it's akin to using the n-word in the Wire anyway - then it makes absolutely no sense.

So I simply couldn't care less if it gets changed - it's not an important or integral part of the song. 

• Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 11:46 AM, DC2 said:

Is it because of the word “faggott” in the song?

One of the reasons, obviously, but they are censoring several lines of the song.

I just don't understand how words that have been in use for centuries - in normal usage, not as a derogatory term - are now being blacklisted (can I say that?) because snowflakes (that will be the next to go, replaced by "snow crystals" or some bollocks) are offended by everything.

None of us want hatred and bigotry in the world, but these idiots and activists have to stop interpreting every bloody word and phrase as a sign of hate or disrespect.

I am sick of reading how innocent people are being forced out of jobs and having their lives destroyed because of "improper" usage of language. Clarke resigning last week because the use of "coloured" was offensive is a prime example. I get it that the British don't use the term now, but here in the US (where he was based for a while), we have the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People), and the term "People of Color" is acceptable.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

So I simply couldn't care less if it gets changed - it's not an important or integral part of the song. 

Hate to disagree (actually I don't!), but it IS an important and integral part of the song. It is an original lyric, and it is there for a reason. It is clearly NOT intended as a slur on a section of society, so why treat it as such?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The usual and predictable outcry about 'political correctness gone mad', from those who're probably not even Pogue fans.

I'm generally not in favour of censoring and re-writing popular songs, and maybe I'm missing some plastic Irish vernacular, but I never got the context of 'faggot' in that song and I suspect it was just added to rhyme. Unless the song is about a gay couple - in which case it's akin to using the n-word in the Wire anyway - then it makes absolutely no sense.

I disagree...... I think they’re arguing, and she’s basically calling him inadequate, in the way faggot or gay used to be used in a ‘sissy’ way, not really a homosexual way 

3 minutes ago, JC71 said:

I disagree...... I think they’re arguing, and she’s basically calling him inadequate, in the way faggot or gay used to be used in a ‘sissy’ way, not really a homosexual way 

Yes, another example is “poof” which was used as a derogatory term when homosexuality was considered sissy and deviant, but is now weak and comical in a modern age where homosexuality is accepted.

36 minutes ago, chunky said:

It is clearly NOT intended as a slur on a section of society, so why treat it as such?

Well it is, because it's appropriating a derogatory term for a gay man. Unless it isn't, in which case it doesn't make any sense in the song anyway...

Just wait until the whole world just communicates using mojis, one language, one world. Easy as pie. :t:

6 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Well it is, because it's appropriating a derogatory term for a gay man. Unless it isn't, in which case it doesn't make any sense in the song anyway...

No it isn't. Even though it is now regarded as a derogatory term for a gay man, that is not the way it is used is the song; it was just used as an insult that rhymed.

7 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

A person can be called a faggot without them being gay...... as usual, South Park (Season 13, Episode 12, The F Word) says it best

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

No it isn't. Even though it is now regarded as a derogatory term for a gay man, that is not the way it is used is the song; it was just used as an insult that rhymed.

I agree. The first time I ever read the word back back in junior school days , the term referred to the bundles of wood used to burn people at th3 stake in the days of witchcraft , and possibly for that reason it because became synonymous with old women . I never realised it referred. to gay men until I went to America where quite often it seems to be shortened to “fags” , so I suppose now Tom Browns Schooldays will have to be revised .

Life would be a lot easier and less people would be offended if we stuck to proper grammar , ie “ heterosexual “and “homosexual”.