British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Maradona

16 hours ago, Lefty said:

Will the pre-match player tribute be a bended knee or a raised hand?? B)

The bended knee combined with the sniffing nose!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, DC2 said:

And I agree that there are question marks over Platini. Was he ever convicted of corruption?

Not sure about Gerd Muller’s alcoholism though. I don’t recall any bad behaviour from him?

I don't think he was ever formally convicted of corruption, but I think he merely wriggled out of that on a technicality. He was banned for 8 years for 'ethics violations', which was basically for accepting a large under-the-counter payment so he wouldn't run against Sepp Blatter as FIFA President and keep his mouth shut about FIFA corruption. Not a very reputable character either way.

With respect to Gerd Muller - he's hardly the only footballer to fall foul of alcoholism and neither is that crime. Unless there was other associated bad behaviour I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 2

Fair enough. I recalled Platini in his playing years, not later.

Agreed regarding Muller. Everybody has one problem or another to overcome and if you can address it you set a good example.

Maradona had several problems and didn’t deal with them. In fact he seemed to revel in them and stick two fingers up to everyone.

An odious human being who was a drug fueled cheating scumbag

Even his undoubted (potentially unparalleled) football talent doesnt outweigh the negative in my mind

• Like 1

Just now, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

An odious human being who was a drug fueled cheating scumbag

Even his undoubted (potentially unparalleled) football talent doesnt outweigh the negative in my mind

A bit harsh, but had he been sent off for the handball he wouldn’t have scored the subsequent wonder goal and Argentina might well have been knocked out!

• Like 3

Looks like flu in 1999/20 made it to 250 cases per 100,000 people.

That’s about the same as “Covid” now.

Which you need to bear in mind regarding Maradona.  :D

Edited by DC2
  • Haha 1

Some of the bitterness and vitriol in this thread is quite astonishing.

Maradona was undoubtedly one of the greatest footballers ever. Anyone who says otherwise has clearly not watched very much of what he did on the pitch.

He was also a very flawed person off of the pitch, at least as far as his use of drugs goes. 

That really shouldn't take too much away from some of the great things he did on the pitch, and also off of it for charities and the like.

It seems like the bitterness is focussed on one handball in a World Cup match...So many players have deliberately handled the ball in major matches, or deliberately chopped down an opposing player (Maradona suffered a LOT from that in his career). I wonder if the same comments will be made about those players when their time comes? Or am I misreading things and the "cheat" comments are just about his drug use? :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, DC2 said:

A bit harsh, but had he been sent off for the handball he wouldn’t have scored the subsequent wonder goal and Argentina might well have been knocked out!

At that time, he would have got a yellow at worst for handling the ball if it had been spotted by the officials.

• Like 1

Was he as good as Harry Kane?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, HenryW said:

Maradona was undoubtedly one of the greatest footballers ever. Anyone who says otherwise has clearly not watched very much of what he did on the pitch.

He was also a very flawed person off of the pitch, at least as far as his use of drugs goes. 

Same as cyclists such as Pantani, Virenque and Contador, all still revered in their countries and featured every year in the Giro, the TDF and the Vuelta, but drug cheats.

Personally I wouldn’t mention any cyclists who had tested positive for drugs.

6 hours ago, HenryW said:

Some of the bitterness and vitriol in this thread is quite astonishing.

That really shouldn't take too much away from some of the great things he did on the pitch, and also off of it for charities and the like.

It seems like the bitterness is focussed on one handball in a World Cup match...So many players have deliberately handled the ball in major matches, or deliberately chopped down an opposing player (Maradona suffered a LOT from that in his career). I wonder if the same comments will be made about those players when their time comes? Or am I misreading things and the "cheat" comments are just about his drug use? :rolleyes:

At that time, he would have got a yellow at worst for handling the ball if it had been spotted by the officials.

I can't abhor cheating at anything.  I don't regard his cocaine abuse as cheating but you are right, the handball over Shilton was and that to me indicates the character of a person.  Sometimes barging someone over in a tackle or tapping their ankles is just a judgement error, not a deliberate attempt to gain an advantage.  Those who roll around crying like babies, or those who always appeal for a throw in or corner/goal kick to go their way irrespective of what they know to be true are trying to cheat.  I would have non of these as friends as it's a part of someone character I detest.  And although Maradona had great skill and talent, I am not mourning his passing.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I can't abhor cheating at anything.  I don't regard his cocaine abuse as cheating but you are right, the handball over Shilton was and that to me indicates the character of a person.  Sometimes barging someone over in a tackle or tapping their ankles is just a judgement error, not a deliberate attempt to gain an advantage.  Those who roll around crying like babies, or those who always appeal for a throw in or corner/goal kick to go their way irrespective of what they know to be true are trying to cheat.  I would have non of these as friends as it's a part of someone character I detest.  And although Maradona had great skill and talent, I am not mourning his passing.

Agree with all of that except the last sentence.

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

In fairness, I don't actually remember Maradona doing much diving and rolling around on the floor in the way that it goes on today. If he was, it was probably because he was often being kicked to pieces by the opposition (which is what Butcher and Fenwick should have done). Even the cocaine addiction is perhaps understandable given the injuries he probably incurred as a result. 

But aside from the handball that was blatant cheating, there was the performance enhancing drugs, tax evasion, extra-marital affairs, political controversies and just generally being an a**hole. Not someone I admire as a role model or even human being, even if one can admire his footballing ability. 

19 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

In fairness, I don't actually remember Maradona doing much diving and rolling around on the floor in the way that it goes on today. If he was, it was probably because he was often being kicked to pieces by the opposition (which is what Butcher and Fenwick should have done). Even the cocaine addiction is perhaps understandable given the injuries he probably incurred as a result. 

But aside from the handball that was blatant cheating, there was the performance enhancing drugs, tax evasion, extra-marital affairs, political controversies and just generally being an a**hole. Not someone I admire as a role model or even human being, even if one can admire his footballing ability. 

Agree with most of that but not the ludicrous sentence in bold!