British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Seymour Dix

F 1 Today's race

Moving on to this weekends race. What a performance from George Russell. I know he was driving the best car in F1 but he was still asking for instructions about where various buttons were on his steering wheel on the way round to the starting grid. I know when I change my car it takes me 3 months to work out what every button does .:D 

The unusually poor pitstop by Mercedes set him back a step or two , but he looked well  on course to re-take the lead in the race before his slow puncture caused another tyre change, however it seems that if he gets the right tools he can be a real winner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

Moving on to this weekends race. What a performance from George Russell. I know he was driving the best car in F1 but he was still asking for instructions about where various buttons were on his steering wheel on the way round to the starting grid. I know when I change my car it takes me 3 months to work out what every button does .:D 

The unusually poor pitstop by Mercedes set him back a step or two , but he looked well  on course to re-take the lead in the race before his slow puncture caused another tyre change, however it seems that if he gets the right tools he can be a real winner.

It seems to indicate that the car is far superior to the rest, hence Hamilton’s success

So, who’s the best driver in F1?  Impossible to say while one car is so much better than the rest

Perhaps the car should be knighted, not Hamilton

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

It seems to indicate that the car is far superior to the rest, hence Hamilton’s success

So, who’s the best driver in F1?  Impossible to say while one car is so much better than the rest

Perhaps the car should be knighted, not Hamilton

It seemed to indicate to me that Russell has loads of ability.  I don't disagree that he was driving the best car . I actually mentioned that point, however his overtaking moves were top class & given that it is accepted that the Mercedes isn't considered the best car to "drive in traffic"it makes his performance worth a mention IMO.

As for Hamilton , I wasn't aware he had received a knighthood just yet, but if you look at some of the personalities that have been honoured previously should he get it he wouldn't be the worst choice I have ever seen .:)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

It seemed to indicate to me that Russell has loads of ability.  I don't disagree that he was driving the best car . I actually mentioned that point, however his overtaking moves were top class & given that it is accepted that the Mercedes isn't considered the best car to "drive in traffic"it makes his performance worth a mention IMO.

As for Hamilton , I wasn't aware he had received a knighthood just yet, but if you look at some of the personalities that have been honoured previously should he get it he wouldn't be the worst choice I have ever seen .:)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-9026529/George-Russells-near-win-Lewis-Hamiltons-Mercedes-sparks-Formula-One-debate.html

36 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Exactly!

Everybody is so focused on PROVING that anyone can win in the Mercedes, but it doesn't prove that at all. I agree with you, and that George may be even more talented than we thought. You said about the handicaps that he had to overcome driving Lewis' car, but he also had to wear boots that were a size too small, in order to fit in the car!

Even though he may have the best car, Hamilton's ability in the wet, and his incredible tyre management, puts him above the rest.

Perhaps we should ignore Zmarzlik as World Champ, and put it all down to the bike? We KNOW Fundin had the best machinery, so perhaps we should forget him too?

In ANY motorsport, the best performers tend to have the best equipment, but I hate it when try to make out that the person in control is irrelevant.

• Like 2

Way to prove it is for there to be a draw for cars before each race

That way, the drivers championship and the constructors championship can be decided more equitably

Let’s see how Hamilton gets on driving other cars, how other talented drivers get on driving ‘his car’

Of course, it’s all a nonsense due to reverse handicapping, where the “worst” drivers concede starting positions to the “better ones” - give fastest ones a start! :wub:

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

That way, the drivers championship and the constructors championship can be decided more equitably

Let’s see how Hamilton gets on driving other cars, how other talented drivers get on driving ‘his car’

Of course, it’s all a nonsense due to reverse handicapping, where the “worst” drivers concede starting positions to the “better ones” - give fastest ones a start! :wub:

John Davis gave an interesting viewpoint regarding Lewis Hamiton in a recent interview. Basically he suggets that Hamilton was given a better opportunity early in his career because of his background whereas more potentially talented drivers were overlooked? I'm not familiar with the modern Motor Racing scene so can't offer a personal viewpoint on that particular subject.

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

If you work hard and achieve a level of excellence, you should be rewarded, rather than handicapped. Otherwise, what is the point? Top level sport shouldn't be turned into a lottery, just because spectators want it to be more "exciting".

Besides, in F1, there are enough accidents in the first lap already, and putting the slower drivers in front would be even more dangerous.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

John Davis gave an interesting viewpoint regarding Lewis Hamiton in a recent interview. Basically he suggets that Hamilton was given a better opportunity early in his career because of his background whereas more potentially talented drivers were overlooked? I'm not familiar with the modern Motor Racing scene so can't offer a personal viewpoint on that particular subject.

But even if that were true, then if Lewis hadn't delivered at any stage of his career then he wouldn't still have the opportunities to perform.  As soon as he hit Formula 1 in 2007 he was competitive and beating Alonso, regarded by anyone with any knowledge as one of the quickest and most consistent drivers of his generation.  

Formula 1 has always been a combination of engineering and driving performance.  How many of the champions of any era were in the best car that season?  Answer, the majority of them.  In any era the best drivers knew the importance of being in the best car possible.   If anyone could win in the Mercedes and the driver doesn't matter then why don't they sack off Hamilton and get Latifi, Magnussen, Grosjean or anybody else in.  They'd save a packet.  Similarly, Red Bull could get rid of Verstappen, Ferrari chuck Leclerc.  But they won't, because it's not all about the car.  I see some gibberish online 'He wouldn't win in a Haas', well no of course he wouldn't.  But Hamilton or Verstappen would drive it a lot quicker than Magnussen or Grosjean do.  That's the point.

Is it boring that Hamilton keeps winning?  yes, it is a bit.  But it was boring when Shumacher kept winning too, in the best car, with bespoke tyres, with a team mate who was paid to jump out of his way.  Ultimately, it's up to the others to catch up, that's how it works.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kester said:

But even if that were true, then if Lewis hadn't delivered at any stage of his career then he wouldn't still have the opportunities to perform.  As soon as he hit Formula 1 in 2007 he was competitive and beating Alonso, regarded by anyone with any knowledge as one of the quickest and most consistent drivers of his generation.  

Formula 1 has always been a combination of engineering and driving performance.  How many of the champions of any era were in the best car that season?  Answer, the majority of them.  In any era the best drivers knew the importance of being in the best car possible.   If anyone could win in the Mercedes and the driver doesn't matter then why don't they sack off Hamilton and get Latifi, Magnussen, Grosjean or anybody else in.  They'd save a packet.  Similarly, Red Bull could get rid of Verstappen, Ferrari chuck Leclerc.  But they won't, because it's not all about the car.  I see some gibberish online 'He wouldn't win in a Haas', well no of course he wouldn't.  But Hamilton or Verstappen would drive it a lot quicker than Magnussen or Grosjean do.  That's the point.

Is it boring that Hamilton keeps winning?  yes, it is a bit.  But it was boring when Shumacher kept winning too, in the best car, with bespoke tyres, with a team mate who was paid to jump out of his way.  Ultimately, it's up to the others to catch up, that's how it works.

That just about sums it all up .:t:

Strange how Mercedes seem to have made sure the embarrassment of Russell winning didn’t happen :o

32 minutes ago, chunky said:

If you work hard and achieve a level of excellence, you should be rewarded, rather than handicapped. Otherwise, what is the point? Top level sport shouldn't be turned into a lottery, just because spectators want it to be more "exciting".

Besides, in F1, there are enough accidents in the first lap already, and putting the slower drivers in front would be even more dangerous.

So you think that Fundin, Briggs, Moore, Craven and Knutsson should have started from the gate, with the likes of Pete Brough and Nick Nicholls off 20 yards?

Or the scratch golfer should have a few shots start over an 18 handicapper?

Edited by Midland Red

7 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

So you think that Fundin, Briggs, Moore, Craven and Knutsson should have started from the gate, with the likes of Pete Brough and Nick Nicholls off 20 yards?

Or the scratch golfer should have a few shots start over an 18 handicapper?

It's not much of a comparison though.  Speedway riders can start in line because the track allows it.  Golf handicaps don't apply in the professional sport.  In any motorsport where the competitors cannot physically start alongside each other (pretty much every one involving a circuit) then there needs to be a system to decide who starts where.  Lesser formula have partially reversed grids etc and it works fine in the BTCC for instance, which I love.  But let's be honest, it's a bit Mickey Mouse.  To use your analogy would you want the top 6 riders in the Speedway GP series to start 10 yards behind the others to spice it up?

16 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Strange how Mercedes seem to have made sure the embarrassment of Russell winning didn’t happen :o

Why would it be an embarrassment when he's on their junior driver programme and 'on loan' at Williams?    Mercedes have lost Lewis a few wins over the years, putting him on a poor strategy or messing up safety car periods - what 'embarrassment' were they trying to avoid then?