British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Seymour Dix

F 1 Today's race

Seems you're not allowed to cross the red and white markings at the side of the track, unless ofcourse you drive a black Mercedes.

1 hour ago, tyretrax said:

Seems you're not allowed to cross the red and white markings at the side of the track, unless ofcourse you drive a black Mercedes.

:rofl:

You didn't watch it did you? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tyretrax said:

Read about it.

Thought so, I'll explain. 

Turn 4 track limits were there for qualifying & only come in to force during the race if an advantage is gained.

Hamilton was warned & to make sure he tried to maintain track limits. The reason he didn't get a time penalty was his race pace variable for going outside & within was no more than 0.005sec gained. 

The reason Verstappen was asked to relinquish the lead was he made the pass by going around the outside beyond track limits to pass Hamilton, gaining a blatant advantage.

Verstappen even said himself, rightly moaning at his pit wall knowing he'd gained the advantage, "why didn't you just let me go, we could have got more than the 5 seconds". 

The reason Mercedes got that win was purely down to abysmal tactics from Redbull & a smart undercut from Mercedes. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

The reason Mercedes got that win was purely down to abysmal tactics from Redbull & a smart undercut from Mercedes. 

Good driving from Hamilton too, to eke out his tyres and when challenged by Verstappen, put himself in the right parts of the track.

1 minute ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Good driving from Hamilton too, to eke out his tyres and when challenged by Verstappen, put himself in the right parts of the track.

Don't disagree but Redbull made a huge mistake allowing Verstappen to run far to long after Hamilton's first stop. That was absolutely crucial to the whole race. 

• Like 2

Now let's hope that the rest of the season carries on along last weekends race.

Back in 2006, when it was announced that Hamilton would be driving for McLaren the next year, I was berated for suggesting he was the real deal and that he would go on to be one of the greats.

A win and a pole into this season, anyone want to bet against him becoming the best driver on paper history?

52 minutes ago, DK Rides Again said:

Back in 2006, when it was announced that Hamilton would be driving for McLaren the next year, I was berated for suggesting he was the real deal and that he would go on to be one of the greats.

A win and a pole into this season, anyone want to bet against him becoming the best driver on paper history?

You have to remember that it really is impossible to compare between eras...
Lewis is clearly a great driver.
But comparing him to drivers from other eras is just not something you can do. 
Even just using stats like most wins, poles, etc is a problem because of the change in the number of races over the years.
He's a great...Is he better than Schumacher, Senna, Prost? Impossible to determine in my view.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HenryW said:

He's a great...Is he better than Schumacher, Senna, Prost? Impossible to determine in my view.

The best at reversing his car... :D

21 hours ago, HenryW said:

You have to remember that it really is impossible to compare between eras...
Lewis is clearly a great driver.
But comparing him to drivers from other eras is just not something you can do. 
Even just using stats like most wins, poles, etc is a problem because of the change in the number of races over the years.

That's why I said paper history.

Having said that, as a former racer and having witnessed first hand the abilities of all the drivers you mentioned, I would happily score them in order of greatness