British Speedway Forum

On 3/5/2021 at 12:29 PM, Justgotmecpc said:

So when Redcar go to Newcastle I wonder who he will cheering for

3 hours ago, highside said:

who else has jumped ship ?

Honestly

When you go to Redcar you will be able to tell us who has jumped ship because that's where they are all going to go for their Speedway apparently... however as their moan is about not getting in for free at Newcastle anymore I can't see them paying to get in regularly anywhere else... if they do it shows you what type of people they are... once a tight fist always a tight fist... Also "Roy the Mercenary" is at Redcar because he is getting paid; not for any other reason... lets see if he comes to Newcastle as a fan and pays to get in like everyone else?

Although there might be a vacancy or two for sheeters and red flag persons... they get free entry... fair play too if they are actually doing a job and not "I once bought George English a "strawberry mivvi ice lolly" so I can get into the speedway for the rest of my life for free"

Unfortunately I have now started something as this will set Ruff away because I have him down as a "Rocket Lolly" man where as I much preferred the "Fab" as the dipped chocolate on the end covered with hundreds and thousands was always a bit Moorish and you cant beat having your end covered in chocolate and dipped in hundreds and thousands... cough cough...

Regards
THJ

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Although there might be a vacancy or two for sheeters and red flag persons... they get free entry... fair play too if they are actually doing a job and not "I once bought George English a "strawberry mivvi ice lolly" so I can get into the speedway for the rest of my life for free"

Regards
THJ

Funny that,,, a little while ago, some guy that must have been an acquaintance of a neighbour in the street, asked if a wanted me windows cleaned. A said, aye as long as ye do them properly with a scrim, cos some nugget done them once with a jet hose type thing and, we found that the door must have a leak and flooded the passage, (sorry, but am just having a chuckle as a write this),,, but anyway, to carry on, he cleaned the windows and, then later when he knocked for his 3 quid, a was wearing me 'Diamonds' cap, he says 'are ye like the speedway then, a go all the time,,, a get in for nowt cos a know George',,, a says 'aye am there all the time, cos a help out, but av never seen ye there',,, he says 'a go all the time cos am good mates with George',,, funnily enough av never seen him since or at the speedway and he hasn't been back to clean me windows, so god knows.

Maybe he has gone to Redcar too, or is just George's window cleaner?,,, a daint naa.

but BTW, a prefer a 'Tropical Solero' or failing that, it would be a 'Twister'... :t:

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

but BTW, a prefer a 'Tropical Solero' or failing that, it would be a 'Twister'

How posh are you "Tropical Solero" or a "Twister" things must be looking up in Forrest Hall... two choices... but those are relatively modern ices launched in 1994 and 1982... you weren't eating those as a kid... the two choices we got as kids were here's an "ice pop" take it or leave it; and if you were quick and lucky you may have got the pick of a colour unless it was the bottom of the box then you got stuck with a yellow one...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

How posh are you "Tropical Solero" or a "Twister" things must be looking up in Forrest Hall... two choices... but those are relatively modern ices launched in 1994 and 1982... you weren't eating those as a kid... the two choices we got as kids were here's an "ice pop" take it or leave it; and if you were quick and lucky you may have got the pick of a colour unless it was the bottom of the box then you got stuck with a yellow one...

Regards
THJ

Basically it was the same here, ye was maybe lucky on a Sunday and got one of those fake ice-cream mousse things,,, ye naa, ye used to get them in a pack of 10 from 'Woolco'? We were that poor, we had to share bath water, with me being the youngest, it was always gungy and lukewarm. How things have changed eh?,,, but maybe it makes ye appreciate things more these days!,,, but just now, am worried about the 'Free Marcus Rashford £30 a week food voucher' ending. A can manage 2 takeaways with that, back to beans on toast or fried eggs from now on! :(

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Was always a "zoom" fan myself 

Aye ya older than ya look Geoff... invented in 1962 an edible toy rocket, an ice sculpture in three colours, with moulded flanges flaring out at the sides. Possibly the first lolly advertised on television and in cinemas; I must have started on them as the "Fab" didn't come along until 1967 and the Zoom disappeared for a good few years and has not long been brought back as I seen some in Morrisons the other week... but what about when ya mam was having a tough time at the end off the month with bills and was a bit hard up and you couldn't afford owt like that; not even an ice pop so you put some "Dilute Pop" into that square ice cube maker thing in the fridge ice box compartment (no freezer then) to make ya own ice pops and then ya got a clip round the lug for making a "right mess" it wasn't just a mess it was a "right mess" or you were told in no uncertain terms "Look; Look; LOOK... at the mess you have made" then you got the summary clip round the lug again and told to clear it up at which you made even more mess which resulted in another clip, a know one thing never mind these footballers getting dementia heading the ball; everyone of our generation will end up with it due to the standard parental response for doing anything you shouldn't have been... 

Who needed the internet then... we made our own entertainment... av still got the scars to prove it...

Just remembered another favourite was the Nobbly Bobbly... mmmmmmmmm......

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Aye ya older than ya look Geoff... invented in 1962 an edible toy rocket, an ice sculpture in three colours, with moulded flanges flaring out at the sides. Possibly the first lolly advertised on television and in cinemas; I must have started on them as the "Fab" didn't come along until 1967 and the Zoom disappeared for a good few years and has not long been brought back as I seen some in Morrisons the other week... but what about when ya mam was having a tough time at the end off the month with bills and was a bit hard up and you couldn't afford owt like that; not even an ice pop so you put some "Dilute Pop" into that square ice cube maker thing in the fridge ice box compartment (no freezer then) to make ya own ice pops and then ya got a clip round the lug for making a "right mess" it wasn't just a mess it was a "right mess" or you were told in no uncertain terms "Look; Look; LOOK... at the mess you have made" then you got the summary clip round the lug again and told to clear it up at which you made even more mess which resulted in another clip, a know one thing never mind these footballers getting dementia heading the ball; everyone of our generation will end up with it due to the standard parental response for doing anything you shouldn't have been... 

Who needed the internet then... we made our own entertainment... av still got the scars to prove it...

Just remembered another favourite was the Nobbly Bobbly... mmmmmmmmm......

Regards
THJ

Did u ever have a juice' o jim ??? Am sure have spelt it wrong, couldnt beat a penny ice lolly .

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Did u ever have a juice' o jim ??? Am sure have spelt it wrong, couldn't beat a penny ice lolly .

Geoff you are definitely older than you look and nope not heard of that one... Orange Maid at the pictures or them iced things also at the movies that were in the paper thing off set from the top to the bottom but I can't think what they were called... the office have said Kia Ora but that was the square juice carton with the straw, but they still reckon it was a frozen version...

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/14-retro-ice-lollies-used-118903

Its coming to something when all we can talk about is ice lollies...

Regards
THJ

Just sponsored a heat for the Gems meetings. Pretty good value I thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Its coming to something when all we can talk about is ice lollies...

Regards
THJ

Well you started it with ya 'strawberry mivvi' carry-on!!! ;)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, StevePark said:

Newcastle Speedway Facebook Page:

Promoter statement.

Club promoter Rob Grant would like to issue a statement to the supporters of Newcastle Speedway.

We are very much working hard behind the scenes to ensure everything is ready to go for the 2021 season. We would hope to be in a position to inform you of the procedure for applying for admission tickets very shortly. However, we are still very much waiting for Newcastle City Council to give us clarification on what, when and how we are allowed to proceed at the stadium in regards to restrictions, and most importantly what crowd numbers we are allowed.

The line up for the 90th Anniversary Celebration is almost complete and will run with a 20 heat individual format with two semi's and a final.

Once the Council give us the information we require we will get the tickets out as soon as possible.

Many thanks for your patience and support at this time.

Brilliant feedback from the promotion, very impressed and it's nice to have a promotion that actually communicates with the fans, the PAYING fans, rather than just leaving them in the dark for months on end... Really excited for the new season and new era of Newcastle speedway to start. Been a long time coming.

19 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

What the average crowd is? or the average of paying customers in the crowd rather than freeloaders... 

It also depends on who the visitor's are as well... obviously local clubs bring more fans in and those clubs on a roll who think they will come and see an upset tend to bring more as well...

Also do kids count? If ya produce a note to say you have had the vaccination will you be counted as one of the Glorious 600 riding into the valley of death or will ya be overlooked as being Covid safe?

Will it be first come first served... Will it be prepaid on the internet... all things the promotion will resolve before the season starts I would suggest...

If it's done on the internet it can be done like the football and allocate the away fans first choice at maybe 100 tickets and what hasn't gone by say the Friday open those up to anyone else... it will take some logostical nous to sort but this is a competent promotion and its not beyond their ken to resolve...

Regards 

THJ 

Steve Park got the answer for you before I had finishing typing... told you this promotion were on the ball...

They most certainly are on the ball. I presume that 600 will be allowed through the gates and an extra 100 will sneak through the pits, so that will take it to 700... That won't go down well if caught. Wonder whether the riders/mechanics count towards the 600 too? And how they hell are they going to socially distance in the pits? They're pretty small.

11 hours ago, highside said:

who else has jumped ship ?

Some fans maybe looking at both the lineups. If they are fans of speedway rather than fans of the club, maybe they'd rather go see the bigger names at Redcar?

10 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Interesting point about kids,,, what happens if some grown ups turn up with 5 or 6 under 12's,,, it's not gonna take long to get upto your 600, say 100 grown ups and 500 little ones?,,, can't see it happening, but if it did it might put a dint in the takings. ;)

NO KIDS ALLOWED!! EVER!! :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think you're meaning a Jubbly THJ, 4d at the Saturday morning matinee.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, erniew said:

I think you're meaning a Jubbly THJ, 4d at the Saturday morning matinee.

Ernie av just had a quick Google an that's them... cheers for that I'll sleep tonight now... haha... what a memory...  they had everyone at graft stumped...

Regards 

THJ

On 3/8/2021 at 6:49 PM, Tsunami said:

Think with it being a special meeting for the 90th Anniversary, plus its our first meeting in 2021, the gate could be quite high unless there are restrictions of course.

i fear some fans may miss out attending/ getting tickets due to restrictions hope im wrong tho as we need as many through the gate as possible .