British Speedway Forum

Can understand Rob's logic, but let's not kid ourselves, it is a very poor team. Must add I would love to be proved wrong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GWC said:

Stuart Robson maybe?

Why? We already have our 1-7

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GWC said:

Stuart Robson maybe?

He's sold his gear, but his engines will still be with us.

Strongest team in the league.

We'll be holding everybody up. Good job that there is no promotion/relegation.

There used to be (I think) a minimum team strength for a declared 1 - 7. Obviously that doesn't exist anymore.

Rob's idea was to tempt the casual supporter back. Not with this team he won't. Especially with the majority of fixtures being higher priced double headers. 

1984 all over again??

26 minutes ago, leander said:

There used to be (I think) a minimum team strength for a declared 1 - 7. Obviously that doesn't exist anymore.

Rob's idea was to tempt the casual supporter back. Not with this team he won't. Especially with the majority of fixtures being higher priced double headers. 

1984 all over again??

Whilst it’s obvious that we don’t have a competitive team , give Granty some credit for keeping us alive. It would be oh so easy to just say “ bugger it to 2021 “ and save his cash for the hoped for new track but he’s stated his case and we still have a team ( two actually ) to cheer on, win or lose.

Whilst it probably doesn’t make good business sense to run with all these issues it just goes to show how keen he is to keep the Diamonds from being another ex speedway venue.

Good on him for that.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, leander said:

1984 all over again??

FFS the guys trying to secure the future of Newcastle diamonds for years to come, yes the teams weak but I for one will be there every week supporting them and Rob Grant to secure our sport, he's got some big plans, but he's obviously took a massive financial hit and he's not even seen a wheel turned yet in anger, under his ownership, get this season out of the way and I'm pretty confident we'll be more competitive in the future hopefully on our own track 

• Like 7

On 3/29/2021 at 5:56 PM, soupy said:

Will never forget Christians accident with Magnus Zetterstrom in 2011 I think it was when the Somerset rider at the time got banned from the meeting.Always liked Christian for effort but think he was injury prone.

Well sadly you did as it was all the way back in 2005 not 2011 as you stated, I even have the dvd from the now defunct and reborn GRT Media!

9 hours ago, mike7164 said:

Well sadly you did as it was all the way back in 2005 not 2011 as you stated, I even have the dvd from the now defunct and reborn GRT Media!

It was already pointed out it was 2005 by Steve Park if you would like to read back...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, soupy said:

It was already pointed out it was 2005 by Steve Park if you would like to read back...

I'm faaar too young to remember all the way back to 2005, so I have no idea how bad the crash was... Can barely remember Zorro tbh, just in his final days with Poole when they had Bjarne Pedersen, Davey Watt and co

21 hours ago, andys said:

FFS the guys trying to secure the future of Newcastle diamonds for years to come, yes the teams weak but I for one will be there every week supporting them and Rob Grant to secure our sport, he's got some big plans, but he's obviously took a massive financial hit and he's not even seen a wheel turned yet in anger, under his ownership, get this season out of the way and I'm pretty confident we'll be more competitive in the future hopefully on our own track 

I'll be there every week as well (covid restrictions allowing). I've missed less than 40 diamonds matches (home and away combined in the last 25 years. I'm being realistic. We've closed twice in the time I've been supporting Newcastle. Both times following seasons with uncompetitive teams. Yes your hardcore supporter will turn up week after week, but your average casual supporter won't if the team are getting trounced week after week. Those are the one's that Rob needs to entice through the door. This team needs to increase the team average by around 10 points to get a result, and I don't see where that is going to happen.

I don't understand what the rush was to replace Claus so quickly. There are still 6/7 weeks to go until our first fixture. Redcar and Scunthorpe are still each short of a heatleader/second string, yet are taking the more sensible approach of "wait and see". For all we know Sweden could end up on Boris's green list, and air traffic starting up with relatively cheap flights to attract long lost customers back.

Unfortunately it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Rob loses so much money this season that we won't be there in 2022. Heaven forbid.

39 minutes ago, leander said:

I don't understand what the rush was to replace Claus so quickly. There are still 6/7 weeks to go until our first fixture. Redcar and Scunthorpe are still each short of a heatleader/second string, yet are taking the more sensible approach of "wait and see". For all we know Sweden could end up on Boris's green list, and air traffic starting up with relatively cheap flights to attract long lost customers back.

A think if you think there will be any cheap flights around, anywhere, you must be seriously deluded. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, leander said:

I'll be there every week as well (covid restrictions allowing). I've missed less than 40 diamonds matches (home and away combined in the last 25 years. I'm being realistic. We've closed twice in the time I've been supporting Newcastle. Both times following seasons with uncompetitive teams. Yes your hardcore supporter will turn up week after week, but your average casual supporter won't if the team are getting trounced week after week. Those are the one's that Rob needs to entice through the door. This team needs to increase the team average by around 10 points to get a result, and I don't see where that is going to happen.

Unfortunately it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Rob loses so much money this season that we won't be there in 2022. Heaven forbid.

Scunny have signed a reserve not a heat leader or second string :t:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

A think if you think there will be any cheap flights around, anywhere, you must be seriously deluded. 

As flights are usually the riders expense that’s their problem but then that’s one of the reasons thats causing the riders to decline to ride in the UK at present, uncertainty over travel and its costs and now throw in isolation issues.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

As flights are usually the riders expense that’s their problem but then that’s one of the reasons thats causing the riders to decline to ride in the UK at present, uncertainty over travel and its costs and now throw in isolation issues.

Doesn't matter who pays for flights, they won't be cheap. So that will be factored into individuals deals/pay rate.

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 2