British Speedway Forum

6 minutes ago, Diamond geezer said:

Well what an underwhelming finish to team building. 

a top 6 with a combined average over 3 points under the 39 point limit and likely to be the weakest number 7.

No offence meant to Joe, but we signed him as a 4 point national league rider in a league where Danny Philips had twice his average. Think it’s a step too soon for the young man and hope it doesn’t dent his confidence too much like it has many others before. 

How can Joe realistically compete with the Flints/ Bickleys, gilkes, Bailey etc of the world who all had massive National League averages? Assuming they all qualify of course 

on a positive note looks like speedway will finally be returning so I won’t grumble - can’t wait to be back regardless of the team. just managing my own expectations around the season we are likely to have

Speedway won’t be running until the government says and there is no way will it be run behind closed doors, speedway is only sustainable when there are no restrictions and even then it barely scrapes by.

• Like 1

Diamonds complete for 2021 season welcoming Ben Barker and Joe Alcock into the side.

In a remarkable turn of events, the Newcastle Diamonds now find themselves in the highly unexpected position to reveal their last piece in the 2021 jigsaw as the powerful Team GB International rider, Ben Barker joins the Diamonds.

Rob Grant club promoter explained: "When it came to our attention that Ben was available, we contacted him and put together a deal which was quickly sorted, and we welcome him with open arms."

Team co-promoter Dave Tattum was bowled over with the news, saying: "I've worked with Ben Barker before and he's a great guy to have in the team and I see him as the key ingredient to our success next year, of that I have no doubt! 

"Ben is a vital part of our team now and is ultra-enthusiastic to join what he sees as a positive-thinking, forward-moving team with ambitions that match his own very big ambitions, so he fits into our set-up perfectly. He is an all-out racer who absolutely has no clue what the word defeat means and always give the most exciting racing going on track, so we're in for a thrilling season of action with Ben in the side. 

"He loves to be hated, but that attitude means he is always going to give our fans the best service a rider can, and I reckon he is the strength we've been looking for and then, out of the blue, here he is, and a rider who wants to be here with us as much as we want him to be here, he's totally committed, and we cannot wait to get him in a Newcastle race jacket" 

Darren Hartley, the Diamonds' team manager added: "Ben loves what we're doing, and achieving, up at Newcastle and is keen to get his bike up and running for our first action next Spring, and feels he can give his best for the Newcastle fans, adding his very special brand of excitement to all our 2021 meetings!" 

As many will have read in today's BSP Ltd. release, British Speedway is going for a massive push on their own youth ranks, with one such "rising star" rider now required to race in each Championship (and Premiership) team in 2021, and the Diamonds have decided to pull from their own ranks.

Grant continued: "We at Newcastle are in full support of bringing on British Youth development, and also developing our own club's asset list, so rather than look elsewhere we're bringing in Joe Alcock from our own batch of riders to take the number seven slot to join James Wright in our reserve births. James himself is so experienced and skilled and can ride well and bring Joe on, who in his own right, will gain a lot of experience, is well kitted out with top gear and keen to learn and progress.

"We had initially looked at using Joe and Archie Freeman alternating the number seven spot, but Archie feels he would prefer to race and concentrate on a full National League season with the Gems with a view to moving up a step maybe next year. Unfortunately, as a result, we have had to let Connor Mountain go, but we wish him well for the future and thank him for briefly being part of the Diamonds' set up."

Newcastle have also announced today that all meetings at Brough Park, be they single Championship matches or double-headers with National League events, will start at the new earlier time of 4pm, the club being highly aware that it is a school night and they want to make it easier for families to attend and not worry about a late-night home.

Newcastle's full one to seven for 2021:
Claus Vissing
Adam Roynon
Matty Wethers
Max Clegg
Ben Barker
James Wright (res)
Joe Alcock (res)

• Thanks 1

Why Alcock and not our own Josh Embleton who’s just as experienced and more so around Brough ?

Strange decision.

• Like 2

Just now, Ringitsneck said:

Why Alcock and not our own Josh Embleton who’s just as experienced and more so around Brough ?

Strange decision.

Poor choice all round and either will be the worst 7 in the league. Im sure Tattum had the final push at bringing Alcock into the side. To throw a little insult into the mix the best prospect is the rider who was released. I look forward to Mountain getting a hatful on his future visits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Well here's the link to the brave new world

BRITISH SPEEDWAY BACKS YOUTH

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.38563

It states

Every ‘rising star’ will be given grading and Premiership clubs will build their teams up to a combined average of 35.5 for six riders plus a British youngster graded four and below.

Championship clubs can build up to 39-points for six riders plus a youngster graded two stars or below, alternatively 38-points plus a rider with a grade of three stars and below.

The plan is to increase the young British riders in teams to two each in both leagues from 2022 onwards.

So there you go and on first impressions it would appear handy for the bulk of the clubs in the Premiership but not so for the likes of Newcastle or Edinburgh IMHO... Premiership teams can build a 6 man team to 38 or 39 points with a 2* or 3* reserve at 7... I have lots of questions but we will have to see the back up information that supports how you can choose and keep your young "up and coming" "rising star" if he progresses to say No2 in the Team or if you bring someone in and they find that they are totally out of their depth?

Sorry but as Shania Twain once said "That don't impress me much"  and we will have to see what sort of fist the Newcastle promotion can make of this new proposal, however have we not tried this before in another guise with the Elite Draft rider list where Young British riders were on tier 1 and tier 2 lists and fast tracked into the top league teams (until Carl Wilko went on the list as a 30 year old/young (+) rider... Cant remember what happened to that proposal or how successful it was but it hasn't been used over the last few years and certainly not in the Championship... I suppose you have to try an put a positive slant on this proposal and at least give it a go but we ain't Poland with lots of young riders all of a similar talent and trying not to be ageist but in young I would hope its something like under 23 (ish)…

It also adds

British Speedway Promoters Ltd Chairman Rob Godfrey said: “Everyone is excited by the new project to work with the youth and to encourage them over a five-year plan. We want to see riders develop from youth level to league racing and ultimately to the national team.

“We have a host of talented young riders desperate to make a career out of the sport and we are going to work closely with them to present them opportunities at league level to supplement the excellent work of Neil Vatcher and academies coaching them.

“With the restrictions in Poland and how many leagues they allow riders to sign up to, we have made this move – but we believe it’s the right thing to do in any circumstances.

“British Speedway is coming back and I, for one, cannot wait for the warmer weather, brighter nights and sound of bikes warming up for the new season.”

I get the positive slant on the proposal that Rob Godfrey is putting on it but is it me or does this read a bit like once Neil Vatcher gets these kids onto a 500cc bike they will by-pass the National League and drop straight into the Championship and if that is the case I have severe doubts but lets see and hopefully it comes up "Trumps"

So lets see the details and get some more meat on the bone but is this not a prime example of "lipstick on a pig" 

Arte Johnson was a regular cast  member in Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. His well-known "character" was that of a German soldier with his famous catchphrase which I find most appropriate in this instance...

Hope it works... But...

Regards
THJ

Once again rules with phrases open to interpretation.

• Like 2

Pleased the team is finalised and it looks like the Diamonds will make the tapes. I’ve always been more interested in speedway racing rather than speedway winning and I think we have a team worth watching.

Unfortunately, on a personal note, the 4pm start time is a disaster and will probably result in me missing 50% of the meetings. I understand the rationale but it just doesn’t suit me

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Pleased the team is finalised and it looks like the Diamonds will make the tapes. I’ve always been more interested in speedway racing rather than speedway winning and I think we have a team worth watching.

At tracks with a home advantage it often produces better racing when the home side is a little weaker but i fear this years Diamonds are pushing it. I can see very few rewards away from home either except if Plymouth do move up. Longevity of a team is obviously the most important factor but this team of Newcastle Potters about it.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Diamondboy said:

4pm start is a good move.

It is to be fair under normal conditions however flooded track will mean early call off and any clashes with the football team could impact the crowd...

Means the sheeters and the track staff will get an early start but also an earlier finish as there is a lot to do now dropping the air bag and fencing to the bends and removing the fencing on the straights... 

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Poor choice all round and either will be the worst 7 in the league. I'm sure Tatum had the final push at bringing Alcock into the side. To throw a little insult into the mix the best prospect is the rider who was released. I look forward to Mountain getting a hatful on his future visits.

Not sure you are being fair there S4S Alcock signed as a Newcastle asset last year and the change has be force on the promotion with this new Rising Stars programme and to be fair I thought we had quite a good team with Mountain in it but now we are in an enforced position having to bring in a young rider and we have not seen the list of available riders at the 2* and 3* level who Newcastle could have had. Think it would have been even more unfair if Newcastle had have dropped Max Clegg... It was a hard choice to make and whoever lost out will feel hard done by... However it would not have happened if Newcastle had been allowed to keep their original selections... but its not to be...

The other thing to mention is Newcastle could drop Max and bring in a near 8 point rider to replace him so I think the promotion are being very fair and supportive to the original 7 chosen it was just a case of something had to give because of this Rising Stars programme...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Not sure you are being fair there S4S Alcock signed as a Newcastle asset last year and the change has be force on the promotion with this new Rising Stars programme and to be fair I thought we had quite a good team with Mountain in it but now we are in an enforced position having to bring in a young rider and we have not seen the list of available riders at the 2* and 3* level who Newcastle could have had. Think it would have been even more unfair if Newcastle had have dropped Max Clegg... It was a hard choice to make and whoever lost out will feel hard done by... However it would not have happened if Newcastle had been allowed to keep their original selections... but its not to be...

The other thing to mention is Newcastle could drop Max and bring in a near 8 point rider to replace him so I think the promotion are being very fair and supportive to the original 7 chosen it was just a case of something had to give because of this Rising Stars programme...

Regards
THJ

Alcock signed as a Newcastle asset last year because of Dave Tattums involvement and it appears he remains quite hands on. As you said the list of 2 and 3 star riders are not available yet so it won't be known who could have taken the place but fewer will be as cheap as Joe. 

As an outsider i can't see any rider who deserves dropping less than Max and would personally never consider it but with two returnee's in the side and the (insert defamatory term here) Barker i would be less than impressed if i was Connor Mountain right now.

4pm is excellent start time.

• Haha 1

Maybe connor wanted out because his home club of leicester came calling to fill the Ellis perks shaped void in their team and it was a better move for him to make? Why does everyone assume it is the teams decision to drop a rider and not a mutual agreement between rider and team to benefit both?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ringitsneck said:

Strange decision.

Got to be under21

7 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Got to be under21

Under being under or equal to as of 1st Jan? Rather than at start of season?

• Haha 1

Can someone explain to me exactly how the riders are graded? Who is deemed 1 star, 2 star, 3 star etc... Or is it just Rob Godfrey and his friends gonna draw up a list and up riders into each category...?

Perhaps you can shed some light Dave?

13 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Got to be under21

Edited by Dandelion