British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wealdstone

Good Songs Ruined by others

Eva Cassidy's version of "Over the Rainbow"...awful in my opinion!

I don't know if this counts, but my vote for most unusual cover version of a song is XTC's version of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Johnny Cash version of Hurt is jaw dropping, to me

I was in Aus 99-07,and missed a lot of the Amy Winehouse getting popular.......... I can't listen to her version of Valerie though, having bought The Zutons album previously

That’s a good example of a song which is better as a cover! 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

That’s a good example of a song which is better as a cover! 

I was a terrible music snob back then, would spend a small fortune each week on newly released CDs........because Amy Winehouse had totally passed under my radar, there was no way I could then like her ha

An example of a song that is different yet equally beautiful, is the song 'Heartbeats'...... The Knife original is amazing, and Jose Gonzalez brought a beauty to it

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There have been a few Love Will Tear Us Aparts but the slow one in Normal People was very good.

Edited by DC2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

There have been a few Love Will Tear Us Aparts but the slow one in Normal People was very good.

I really like the Broken Social Scene version....... but that's probably more to do with the fact I really like Broken Social Scene

LWTUA is one hell of a song though (funnily enough the first version I heard of it was by Paul Young. Was on the radio, stopped me in my tracks. I never heard the original til later)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JC71 said:

I really like the Broken Social Scene version....... but that's probably more to do with the fact I really like Broken Social Scene

LWTUA is one hell of a song though (funnily enough the first version I heard of it was by Paul Young. Was on the radio, stopped me in my tracks. I never heard the original til later)

In two minds about that cover, hauntingly funereal. But IC might have appreciated that!

• Like 1

On a more whimsical note any body ever heard Arthur Mullard sings"The Beatles"

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Even though this is supposed to be about good songs ruined by others, the Wedding Present's version of "Come Up And See Me" was better than the original Cockney Rebel version IMO. Even Steve Harley was complimentary about it... 

https://themouthmagazine.com/2019/08/09/steve-harley/

Reminded about it as it was on Top of the Pops the other day. 

Daniel Merriweather utterly ruined the Smiths' "Stop me if you think you've heard this one before", although it wasn't one of the Smiths better songs. However, t.A.T.u did a surprisingly good cover version of the legendary "How Soon Is Now?" 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Even though this is supposed to be about good songs ruined by others, the Wedding Present's version of "Come Up And See Me" was better than the original Cockney Rebel version IMO. Even Steve Harley was complimentary about it... 

https://themouthmagazine.com/2019/08/09/steve-harley/

Reminded about it as it was on Top of the Pops the other day. 

Daniel Merriweather utterly ruined the Smiths' "Stop me if you think you've heard this one before", although it wasn't one of the Smiths better songs. However, t.A.T.u did a surprisingly good cover version of the legendary "How Soon Is Now?" 

The Wedding Present?  Blimey, Humph, didn’t have you down as an Indie man. Was that Wayne Hussey’s band?

In that case, how about The Sisters Of Mercy’s Gimme Shelter with Andy Eldritch’s gothic croaking?  :D

Edited by DC2

51 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Even though this is supposed to be about good songs ruined by others, the Wedding Present's version of "Come Up And See Me" was better than the original Cockney Rebel version IMO.

Absolutely! First time I heard it, I was like, "Wow!!!" 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DC2 said:

The Wedding Present?  Blimey, Humph, didn’t have you down as an Indie man. Was that Wayne Hussey’s band?

In that case, how about The Sisters Of Mercy’s Gimme Shelter with Andy Eldritch’s gothic croaking?  :D

The Wedding Present have had a few members down the years, but I don't think you could ever put them in the goth category... :D

Talking about bands who've had lots of members, Mark E. Smith (who had an estimated 66 members in The Fall over 42 years) managed to butcher Captain Beefheart's Dropout Boogie during his legendary (for being inebriated) Glastonbury 2015 performance... ~29 minutes into the set... :D

He did at least sober up enough to get through "Theme From Sparta FC" later in the set, which some might (vaguely) recognise from BBC Final Score. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, norbold said:

I don't know if this counts, but my vote for most unusual cover version of a song is XTC's version of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower".

Loved that - was on their first album if I recall.

My nomination for the OP would be all the over-produced Simon Cowell efforts, most noticeably the version someone did of "Hallelujah"

Edited by salty

3 hours ago, norbold said:

I am glad the adjective you chose was “unusual” , not better ! 

All Along The Watchtower is a fantastic song. Dylan’s version is brilliant but Jimi Hendrix version is so different as to stand on its own, not  better , not worse, just different. Both are equally great versions of the same song . Not many songs you can say that about, although I suppose Brian Ferry’s version of A Hard Rains Gonna Fall , is more or less in the same category. 

• Like 2

"Always on my Mind" sung by the Pet Shop Boys...ghastly version.

• Like 1