British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wealdstone

Good Songs Ruined by others

15 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I am glad the adjective you chose was “unusual” , not better ! 

Have you heard it?

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I am glad the adjective you chose was “unusual” , not better ! 

All Along The Watchtower is a fantastic song. Dylan’s version is brilliant but Jimi Hendrix version is so different as to stand on its own, not  better , not worse, just different. Both are equally great versions of the same song . Not many songs you can say that about, although I suppose Brian Ferry’s version of A Hard Rains Gonna Fall , is more or less in the same category. 

That's the thing; for me, a cover has to be very "different" in order to stand out. Phil Collins' "You Can't Hurry Love" was okay, but it was too much like the original. Garth Brooks' "Shameless" wasn't that different, but it definitely had his own stamp on it.

Trouble is, when two versions ARE very different ("Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen and Cud), it can be like comparing two totally separate songs.

Edited by chunky

5 minutes ago, chunky said:

That's the thing; for me, a cover has to be very "different" in order to stand out. 

Yes. I think I could well be on my own here, but that's part of the reason I like both Buddy Holly's and Mud's versions of Oh, Boy!

Just now, norbold said:

Yes. I think I could well be on my own here, but that's part of the reason I like both Buddy Holly's and Mud's versions of Oh, Boy!

Nope, you're not alone; I like both too!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Grachan said:

I saw an interview with Dolly Parton the other day, and she said that Elvis Presley wanted to do a cover of that song.

She was really happy as he thought Elvis would do a great version, but then Colonel Tom Parker said that she had to sign 50% of the royalties away as Elvis always got half the money when he covered a song.

Because of that she refused to let him cover it as she felt it was a very important royalty for her. Turned out to be a pretty damn good decision by Dolly!

Colonel Tom Parker was a crook and any negotiations would also have been beneficial to him as well. Quite possibly a murderer and it was found his management was unethical by a judge. Plus he was an illegal alien and was probably the reason Elvis never toured anywhere outside the States as Parker couldn't leave....

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

One that got on my nerves recently was Tracy Chapman's Fast Car done by, and I had to look it up, Jonas Blue....grrr Tracy Chapman's song was perfect

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Plus he was an illegal alien and was probably the reason Elvis never toured anywhere outside the States as Parker couldn't leave....

That's commonly claimed, but many US residents in the pre-war era would also have been illegal and there was an amnesty for anyone serving in WW2. He'd previously also served in the US Army and had resided in the US long enough to become naturalised. 

Until quite recently, I'm fairly sure US residents also only needed ID to visit Canada, Mexico and much of the Caribbean, so lack of a passport shouldn't have been a big issue. And of course Tom Parker would still have been a Dutch citizen so could have obtained a passport that way.

So you have to think the real reason was something dodgy in his past, and/or he didn't want the IRS looking too closely at his affairs which an overseas tour would have brought. 

18 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Colonel Tom Parker was a crook and any negotiations would also have been beneficial to him as well. Quite possibly a murderer and it was found his management was unethical by a judge. Plus he was an illegal alien and was probably the reason Elvis never toured anywhere outside the States as Parker couldn't leave....

I did call in at Prestwick Airport some years ago to see the plaque commemorating Elvis's past thru' visit on his way back to the States from Germany.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

That's commonly claimed, but many US residents in the pre-war era would also have been illegal and there was an amnesty for anyone serving in WW2. He'd previously also served in the US Army and had resided in the US long enough to become naturalised. 

Until quite recently, I'm fairly sure US residents also only needed ID to visit Canada, Mexico and much of the Caribbean, so lack of a passport shouldn't have been a big issue. And of course Tom Parker would still have been a Dutch citizen so could have obtained a passport that way.

So you have to think the real reason was something dodgy in his past, and/or he didn't want the IRS looking too closely at his affairs which an overseas tour would have brought. 

Well it seems to be claimed that he could have been involved in a murder in the Netherlands, so didn't want to get in contact with the Dutch authorities for a passport etc

Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chilli Peppers, ruined by All Saints

• Like 4

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

Well it seems to be claimed that he could have been involved in a murder in the Netherlands, so didn't want to get in contact with the Dutch authorities for a passport etc

It seems the murderer was never really identified and he was never considered as a suspect by the police, although some in the local community seem to think he'd dunnit. So it would seem unlikely they'd ever have pinned anything on him years later, even if they put two-and-two together which is also a stretch in those uncomputerised and less coordinated days. Whether or not the Colonel knew that though, is another question but...

How come no-one from Breda apparently ever recognised him until years later? Elvis would have been well known in the Netherlands and the Colonel was hardly an obscure part of his entourage, to the point that his family found out where he was. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, norbold said:

Have you heard it?

Yes. 
Edit: To be fair , I am not a lover of XTC but I am a huge fan of Bob Dylan, so that influences me from the outset. I tend like roots music rather than anything more sophisticated.

Edited by E I Addio

5 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Yes. 

I heard that. Pardon?

7 hours ago, norbold said:

I like both . Mud were an unpretentious fun band and in the context of the thread I don’t think they ruined the song at all . I think Buddy Holly was  much better songwriter than singer so a lot of covers of his songs weren’t bad . Everyday is one of my all time favourites but Don MacLeans version is unsurpassed IMO.  

I love Bowie more than I can say.  

However, his cover of Cream's I Feel Free is absolutely catastrophic.