British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wealdstone

Good Songs Ruined by others

49 minutes ago, chunky said:

I heard that. Pardon?

I was trying to remember from what sitcom that came from and then suddenly it came to me..."I Didn't Know You Cared" with Uncle Mort and Uncle Stavely!

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I was trying to remember from what sitcom that came from and then suddenly it came to me..."I Didn't Know You Cared" with Uncle Mort and Uncle Stavely!

Yup! One of my all-time favourite comedies!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chunky said:

That's the thing; for me, a cover has to be very "different" in order to stand out. Phil Collins' "You Can't Hurry Love" was okay, but it was too much like the original. Garth Brooks' "Shameless" wasn't that different, but it definitely had his own stamp on it.

Trouble is, when two versions ARE very different ("Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen and Cud), it can be like comparing two totally separate songs.

It was only a few years ago I discovered that “ It’s All Over Now “ by the Rolling Stones was actually a cover of the song written and recorded by the Valentino’s, ( I.e the Womacks ) . I love both versions and can’t choose between them but although each is very different to the other the Stones version still has the s and raw Rhythm and Blues feel of the original. You very rarely get that in covers.

On 3/11/2021 at 9:39 AM, steve roberts said:

Eva Cassidy's version of "Over the Rainbow"...awful in my opinion!

Best version ever for me :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vince said:

That's the beauty of music/lyrics/melody...it varies so much between individuals. The broadcaster the late, great, Benny Green would say that there is no such thing as bad music/lyrics/melody in that it often evokes a memory and the two often go together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Nah, that's Sam Harris...

On the other hand, a good song ruined by the original artists and a number who followed, but nailed by Roberta Flack, is The first time ever I saw your face. Ewan MacColl and Peggy Seeger murdered the thing as did Johnny Cash and Sinead O'Connor among others

My good lady & I went to see Paul Simon on his wristband tour. He ruined his owns songs and was awful! I thought that only covers could do that to a song

• Haha 1

I thought William Shatner's Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was the worst cover ever, but then I heard Madonna murder American Pie,

• Like 3

Anyone who covered or attempts in the future to cover Hendrix's Little Wing. One of the greatest numbers ever.

1 hour ago, packerman said:

My good lady & I went to see Paul Simon on his wristband tour. He ruined his owns songs and was awful! I thought that only covers could do that to a song

Similar for me when I went to see Thin Lizzy on the 20th Anniversary Of Phil Lynots death. They were positively dreadful . Coukd hardly believe it was the same band.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

I thought William Shatner's Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was the worst cover ever, but then I heard Madonna murder American Pie,

i won't hear anything said against Shatner! His cover of "It Was a Very Good Year" is one of the greatest recordings in history!

5 hours ago, packerman said:

Probably needed Garfunkel after all... :P

On the other end of the spectrum a cracking cover version is Elvis Costellos cover of what do I do now by Sleeper. Loved the original but his cover of it sends shivers down your spine. (its on youtube)

All the worst covers in recent history have been released by Pete Waterman & Simon Cowell.

My favourite covers are from Metal bands. They rarely get it wrong.