British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wealdstone

Good Songs Ruined by others

I can think of many but for a start Whitney Houston  screaming version of " I will Always Love You"

Rod Stewart with "Downtown Train" AND "Tom Traubert's Blues"...

• Sad 1

"Sway" sung by Dean Martin which was totally ruined by some 'Boy Band' whose name I don't know...thankfully!

Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb, ruined by the Scissor Sisters.

5 hours ago, chunky said:

Rod Stewart with "Downtown Train" AND "Tom Traubert's Blues"...

There can’t be many good songs that haven’t been trashed by Rod Stewart but he should go to prison for what he did to Downtown Train.

• Haha 1

I’m probably in the minority who loves a good cover version and appreciates how good a different take on a tune often in a different style can be. Of course there are some shockers but generally if somebody who can actually sing covers a song it works IMO. 

• Like 3

Somewhere... PJ Proby

• Like 1

Lulu and Ronan keating absolutely ruining Bob Seger's  we've got tonight 

9 hours ago, wealdstone said:

I can think of many but for a start Whitney Houston  screaming version of " I will Always Love You"

I saw an interview with Dolly Parton the other day, and she said that Elvis Presley wanted to do a cover of that song.

She was really happy as he thought Elvis would do a great version, but then Colonel Tom Parker said that she had to sign 50% of the royalties away as Elvis always got half the money when he covered a song.

Because of that she refused to let him cover it as she felt it was a very important royalty for her. Turned out to be a pretty damn good decision by Dolly!

• Like 5

I've never come across a cover of Journey's Don't Stop Believin' that was equal to the original.  Most just ruin it.

On the other hand 2 covers which I personally think are better than the originals 

The sound of silence  - Disturbed 

Handbags and gladrags  - Stereophonics 

• Like 3

Kirst McColls version of the Kinks Days is good too,along with The Stranglers cover of All Day and All Of The Night

• Like 2

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

There can’t be many good songs that haven’t been trashed by Rod Stewart but he should go to prison for what he did to Downtown Train.

I actually like Rod Stewart's rendition of the "Great American Songbook" however many of those recognised songs have been covered by many artists over the years some better than others.

I suppose the generally accepted version of "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is that by Roberta Flack ( personally I do not think she did the song Justice). However I saw the other day a histrionic version by someone on Britain's Got Talent, which sent the panel into raptures , I thought it was quite the most appalling effort I have ever heard.

33 minutes ago, Badge said:

On the other hand 2 covers which I personally think are better than the originals 

The sound of silence  - Disturbed 

Handbags and gladrags  - Stereophonics 

Johnny Cash version of Hurt is jaw dropping, to me

I was in Aus 99-07,and missed a lot of the Amy Winehouse getting popular.......... I can't listen to her version of Valerie though, having bought The Zutons album previously

• Like 5