British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AFCB Wildcat

Non Alcoholic Drinks

I'm one of those people that feel a bit lost without a drink in my hand when relaxing. Coffee gives me nausea and I can only drink so much tea so I prefer a long drink.

Up till recently I would have a few ciders or beers which wasn't a problem because when I was working night shifts my week largely consisted of work and sleep so alcohol consumption was a weekend thing. Now that I have more time on my hands though it's a bit of a problem. 

The problem is that I can't drink the normal carbonated stuff that's passed off to non alcohol drinkers. I hate Coca-Cola and sweet drinks again make me nauseous. Lime & Soda is about the only soft drink I can manage, but again not too much. 

There are a few more low & alcohol free beers on the market nowadays which are getting better. The  trouble I'm finding is that they seem ridiculously expensive, especially in pubs (remember them?) and then they seem to be in such small bottles that a couple of gulps and they're gone!

The best I've found so far is  Adnams alcohol free Ghost Ship which is quite palatable and comes in a near pint bottle. They normally have it in Wetherspoons although they keep it in a fridge. Lager, fine but why pubs put bottled ales in a fridge I don't know, it's just plain wrong!

Has anyone any recommendations for a decent non alcoholic drink for those 'designated driver' or just alcohol free days? 

St Clements is a lovely drink, it's bitter lemon and orange juice in equal parts...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I'm one of those people that feel a bit lost without a drink in my hand when relaxing. Coffee gives me nausea and I can only drink so much tea so I prefer a long drink.

Up till recently I would have a few ciders or beers which wasn't a problem because when I was working night shifts my week largely consisted of work and sleep so alcohol consumption was a weekend thing. Now that I have more time on my hands though it's a bit of a problem. 

The problem is that I can't drink the normal carbonated stuff that's passed off to non alcohol drinkers. I hate Coca-Cola and sweet drinks again make me nauseous. Lime & Soda is about the only soft drink I can manage, but again not too much. 

There are a few more low & alcohol free beers on the market nowadays which are getting better. The  trouble I'm finding is that they seem ridiculously expensive, especially in pubs (remember them?) and then they seem to be in such small bottles that a couple of gulps and they're gone!

The best I've found so far is  Adnams alcohol free Ghost Ship which is quite palatable and comes in a near pint bottle. They normally have it in Wetherspoons although they keep it in a fridge. Lager, fine but why pubs put bottled ales in a fridge I don't know, it's just plain wrong!

Has anyone any recommendations for a decent non alcoholic drink for those 'designated driver' or just alcohol free days? 

I’ve found all of the non-alcoholic beers much preferable to the nonsense sugary “soft” drinks than we’ve been rotting our teeth with for 50 years.

Coca Cola, why does anyone buy that crap?

We could do with every pub being required to put a zero alcohol beer on handpump so it’s more visible, cheaper and mainstream.

When i was in Poland in 2019 Lech did a great range of non-alchoholic drinks, different fruit flavoured lagers. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I’ve found all of the non-alcoholic beers much preferable to the nonsense sugary “soft” drinks than we’ve been rotting our teeth with for 50 years.

Coca Cola, why does anyone buy that crap?

We could do with every pub being required to put a zero alcohol beer on handpump so it’s more visible, cheaper and mainstream.

100% agree with that. Why shouldn't there be one on pump?

On the occasions I took my turn to drive if we went for a meal I just drink tap water. My wife would get annoyed and think I was just being miserable because I couldn't have a pint but I just don't like sugary drinks and am not paying the same price as a pint just to feel nauseous! 

I understand that apparently non alcoholic beer is more expensive to make but it's the small bottles that don't help. I found one by Brewdog called Nanny state which was nice but £4 plus a bottle and gone in a couple of swigs! I want a pint.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Not yet seen any zero alcohol beer in kegs or casks but wouldn’t be surprised to see it happening soon.

Doubt it would be much cheaper though.

1 hour ago, Tim G said:

Not yet seen any zero alcohol beer in kegs or casks but wouldn’t be surprised to see it happening soon.

Doubt it would be much cheaper though.

36 or 72 pints in a keg surely must be cheaper than 108 or 216 bottles?

40 minutes ago, DC2 said:

36 or 72 pints in a keg surely must be cheaper than 108 or 216 bottles?

I would think so but it doesn’t mean your landlord will sell it any cheaper. You have only got to look at the markup on soft drinks in a pub/restaurant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim G said:

I would think so but it doesn’t mean your landlord will sell it any cheaper. You have only got to look at the markup on soft drinks in a pub/restaurant.

It would probably be more expensive than normal beer but I wouldn't mind that within reason.

Apparently even allowing for the duty, normal beer is cheaper to produce, allegedly. I just want a pint! The most popular 'alcohol free' in pubs seems to be Beck's blue which is okay but as it only in a 275ml bottle, the price per pint is eye watering.

I had a reccy down Sainsbury's just now. I got some Heineken 0.0 which is in a bigger 330ml bottle but I prefer the Becks. I also found that they did a 0.5% Old Speckled hen in a 500ml bottle so I'm looking forward to trying that in a bit.

Kombucha? There are some pretty tasty flavours, as well as some awful ones. Over here there's a brand called Batchwell that have a hops flavoured one which is very nice. I'm assuming uk must have some decent options available on tap?

9 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

It would probably be more expensive than normal beer but I wouldn't mind that within reason.

Apparently even allowing for the duty, normal beer is cheaper to produce, allegedly. I just want a pint! The most popular 'alcohol free' in pubs seems to be Beck's blue which is okay but as it only in a 275ml bottle, the price per pint is eye watering.

I had a reccy down Sainsbury's just now. I got some Heineken 0.0 which is in a bigger 330ml bottle but I prefer the Becks. I also found that they did a 0.5% Old Speckled hen in a 500ml bottle so I'm looking forward to trying that in a bit.

You can also get Estrella Damn, Sol, Sam Miguel, Birra Moretti so there is quite a few lager options. Also Old Mout do the flavoured ciders in alcohol free which are 500ml bottles.

Kopparberg non- alcoholic coiderr is half the price of the alcoholic version.

13 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Kopparberg non- alcoholic coiderr is half the price of the alcoholic version.

So it should be.