British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vince

Police priorities - public expectations

I had one of the flat track bikes stolen about a month ago. 8 lads wandered into the close I live in at 03.10 and one of the neighbours phoned 999 to report it as well as the registration numbers of the van and car they were in. They left the close carrying the bike and the wheels separately (I always take them out) 20 minutes later when the neighbour phoned 999 again. There have been an almost nightly spate of thefts in the local area over the previous couple of months and supposedly the Police were keeping a close eye on things! They never did bother to attend.

I was at work and had no knowledge of this until I saw the workshop door broken down at about 7.30 when I phoned the Police, after taking about 10 minutes to get through the system and actually talk to somebody I explained that there was some cctv footage from next door of the group walking down the road and that they had left some bits of wood they had used in the garden. I was told that 'we don't investigate incidents like this' and given a crime number. Off road bikes are generally too expensive to insure so along with some tools that went at the same time I'm down about £6k and it seems that the Police have little interest. I only found out about the neighbour calling them a couple of days ago after hearing it from another neighbour, the caller lives at the opposite end of the road and I don't know him.

Unfortunately I had no other expectations of the Police as way more than half the people I know who own off road bikes have had one or more stolen and met with a similar response from the Police.

Before anybody says it's our own fault for not having better security I will say you would be astonished at the lengths they will go to and the equipment they have to get these bikes. I thought mine were very well protected with chain, alarm and wheel spindles removed as well as what I thought was a very secure workshop door and everything was done within a few yards of the open bedroom window of our neighbour who never heard a thing.

It took only a couple of days to establish who the local bike thieves are, that the Police have their details and lots of CCTV footage of them in action from various other incidents but so far it appears that nothing is being done. However I suspect that when action is taken by the victims the Police will become very much more active.

I know cuts in budget will be blamed but like most things run by government I believe it is far more a case of a budget badly spent and priorities very diverse from that of the majority of people who supply the funding. Would be interesting to know if others agree or think that the Police have their priorities right.

1 hour ago, Vince said:

I had one of the flat track bikes stolen about a month ago. 8 lads wandered into the close I live in at 03.10 and one of the neighbours phoned 999 to report it as well as the registration numbers of the van and car they were in. They left the close carrying the bike and the wheels separately (I always take them out) 20 minutes later when the neighbour phoned 999 again. There have been an almost nightly spate of thefts in the local area over the previous couple of months and supposedly the Police were keeping a close eye on things! They never did bother to attend.

I was at work and had no knowledge of this until I saw the workshop door broken down at about 7.30 when I phoned the Police, after taking about 10 minutes to get through the system and actually talk to somebody I explained that there was some cctv footage from next door of the group walking down the road and that they had left some bits of wood they had used in the garden. I was told that 'we don't investigate incidents like this' and given a crime number. Off road bikes are generally too expensive to insure so along with some tools that went at the same time I'm down about £6k and it seems that the Police have little interest. I only found out about the neighbour calling them a couple of days ago after hearing it from another neighbour, the caller lives at the opposite end of the road and I don't know him.

Unfortunately I had no other expectations of the Police as way more than half the people I know who own off road bikes have had one or more stolen and met with a similar response from the Police.

Before anybody says it's our own fault for not having better security I will say you would be astonished at the lengths they will go to and the equipment they have to get these bikes. I thought mine were very well protected with chain, alarm and wheel spindles removed as well as what I thought was a very secure workshop door and everything was done within a few yards of the open bedroom window of our neighbour who never heard a thing.

It took only a couple of days to establish who the local bike thieves are, that the Police have their details and lots of CCTV footage of them in action from various other incidents but so far it appears that nothing is being done. However I suspect that when action is taken by the victims the Police will become very much more active.

I know cuts in budget will be blamed but like most things run by government I believe it is far more a case of a budget badly spent and priorities very diverse from that of the majority of people who supply the funding. Would be interesting to know if others agree or think that the Police have their priorities right.

That's very alarming and does really question what is the role of the police in society and whether thay are providing a service that is acceptable. I could get all political but will refrain from doing so...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Vince a suggestion would be to write a letter(i know it would be polite)(i can`t find email addresses)  to the Chief constable Olivia Pinkney  with a copy to the Hampshire  PCC requesting information on what action the Police are taking. I think you  might be in Hampshire and here is the PCC address

Office of the Police Crime Commissioner for Hampshire
St George’s Chambers
St George’s Street
Winchester
Hampshire
SO23 8AJ

• Like 2

Well over half of a detectives time at work is now taken up by investigating 'hurty word crimes' posted on social media, with the great majority involving minors, and no action is rarely taken. Hurty word and racial abuse has been prioritised over theft by the powers that be, and that's straight from a DS in the Met...

• Like 7

Announce that you’re holding a vigil of seven people and you’ll have the entire county force in your Close.  :D

• Haha 1

Hi Vince,

First of all , I really feel for you. We had a caravan stolen years ago and I know the feeling of violation one feels in this situation.

No easy answer I am afraid. The police have rock bottom morale and until , or perhaps I should say unless , that situation with its various causes is addressed not much will change.

Racers and Royals suggestion is spot on.Send a letter , not an email, and if they don’t reply in three weeks write to your  MP , and Local Councillor with a copy of the letter, then the Home Secretary. It’s usually the one who shouts loudest and causes the most waves that gets attention in these situations.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Vince a suggestion would be to write a letter(i know it would be polite)(i can`t find email addresses)  to the Chief constable Olivia Pinkney  with a copy to the Hampshire  PCC requesting information on what action the Police are taking. I think you  might be in Hampshire and here is the PCC address

Office of the Police Crime Commissioner for Hampshire
St George’s Chambers
St George’s Street
Winchester
Hampshire
SO23 8AJ

The election for Hampshire Police Commissioner is coming up on 6 May, so a complaint to the PCC is probably in order. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

We had a caravan stolen years ago and I know the feeling of violation one feels in this situation.

Caravan theft is now endemic in the UK and quite sophisticated. A couple of mates have had theirs stolen multiple times, including twice from inside military bases (which begs the question of how secure military bases actually are). 

In fairness, the fuzz have usually managed to recover them, although no idea if the perpetrators were ever prosecuted. 

• Like 1

To be honest I think the bike is gone, apparently they sell to a Bulgarian guy who ships them out to Europe, Police have been given that information along with his van Reg months ago too.

One of the local guys who runs a motocross workshop had £35k worth of bikes go and met with the same response I did.

I did forget to say that when I phoned them and got the 'we don't investigate such incidents' speel they did ask me how I felt about the response so they could fill out the form. If swearing is letting yourself down I did so quite badly!

I will write the letter so that all possible is done but I feel that the days of the Police being public servants are long gone. Sometime ago they stopped calling you sir and started saying 'mate' and it has been steadily going downhill from there. Far too much time spent on theoretical solutions and far too little on practical ones like much of life today is my opinion.

I'm sure vigilante action isn't the way to deal with such things but once you feel the bike is lost it would be understandable.

2 minutes ago, Vince said:

To be honest I think the bike is gone, apparently they sell to a Bulgarian guy who ships them out to Europe, Police have been given that information along with his van Reg months ago too.

One of the local guys who runs a motocross workshop had £35k worth of bikes go and met with the same response I did.

I did forget to say that when I phoned them and got the 'we don't investigate such incidents' speel they did ask me how I felt about the response so they could fill out the form. If swearing is letting yourself down I did so quite badly!

I will write the letter so that all possible is done but I feel that the days of the Police being public servants are long gone. Sometime ago they stopped calling you sir and started saying 'mate' and it has been steadily going downhill from there. Far too much time spent on theoretical solutions and far too little on practical ones like much of life today is my opinion.

I'm sure vigilante action isn't the way to deal with such things but once you feel the bike is lost it would be understandable.

Can’t you just connect your door handle to the electric every evening?

That should deter them.  :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DC2 said:

Can’t you just connect your door handle to the electric every evening?

That should deter them.  :D

They completely by passed the door handles! 

5 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Caravan theft is now endemic in the UK and quite sophisticated. A couple of mates have had theirs stolen multiple times, including twice from inside military bases (which begs the question of how secure military bases actually are). 

In fairness, the fuzz have usually managed to recover them, although no idea if the perpetrators were ever prosecuted. 

Yes, and stolen to order. Ours was a four berth stored on a Camping Club site for the winter. It was in the middle of several others ( all two berths) but the thieves towed the others out of the way to get to ours. Police and Camping Club couldn’t care less. Fortunately I was insured, which softened the blow. As you say it’s all very sophisticated . I’ve read of people having caravans stolen from their back gardens while they were in the house, completely unaware what was going on.

15 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Yes, and stolen to order. Ours was a four berth stored on a Camping Club site for the winter. It was in the middle of several others ( all two berths) but the thieves towed the others out of the way to get to ours. Police and Camping Club couldn’t care less. Fortunately I was insured, which softened the blow. As you say it’s all very sophisticated . I’ve read of people having caravans stolen from their back gardens while they were in the house, completely unaware what was going on.

What about tracking devices- how much are they these days ?

15 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I looked into that for the bikes but was told that the thieves have a device that locates trackers very quickly so they can be removed. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

I’ve no idea , but if these thieves are professional enough to steal caravans from people’s back gardens, or when they are blocked in by metal posts, I wouldn’t think a tracking device would present much of a problem to them.

On a similar but related matter, my wife’s cousin is  a motor mechanic and at one time used to make a lot of money getting called out almost every Saturday night be people who had lost their car keys. He said there wasn’t a car he couldn’t break into without causing any damage within two minutes. If he was a professional thief not worried about a bit of damage he could do it in 30:seconds or less.That’s the level of sophistication these people have.

Edited by E I Addio