British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vince

Police priorities - public expectations

7 hours ago, DC2 said:

Can’t you just connect your door handle to the electric every evening?

That should deter them.  :D

Can't do that think about their well being

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Vince said:

I had one of the flat track bikes stolen about a month ago. 8 lads wandered into the close I live in at 03.10 and one of the neighbours phoned 999 to report it as well as the registration numbers of the van and car they were in. They left the close carrying the bike and the wheels separately (I always take them out) 20 minutes later when the neighbour phoned 999 again. There have been an almost nightly spate of thefts in the local area over the previous couple of months and supposedly the Police were keeping a close eye on things! They never did bother to attend.

I was at work and had no knowledge of this until I saw the workshop door broken down at about 7.30 when I phoned the Police, after taking about 10 minutes to get through the system and actually talk to somebody I explained that there was some cctv footage from next door of the group walking down the road and that they had left some bits of wood they had used in the garden. I was told that 'we don't investigate incidents like this' and given a crime number. Off road bikes are generally too expensive to insure so along with some tools that went at the same time I'm down about £6k and it seems that the Police have little interest. I only found out about the neighbour calling them a couple of days ago after hearing it from another neighbour, the caller lives at the opposite end of the road and I don't know him.

Unfortunately I had no other expectations of the Police as way more than half the people I know who own off road bikes have had one or more stolen and met with a similar response from the Police.

Before anybody says it's our own fault for not having better security I will say you would be astonished at the lengths they will go to and the equipment they have to get these bikes. I thought mine were very well protected with chain, alarm and wheel spindles removed as well as what I thought was a very secure workshop door and everything was done within a few yards of the open bedroom window of our neighbour who never heard a thing.

It took only a couple of days to establish who the local bike thieves are, that the Police have their details and lots of CCTV footage of them in action from various other incidents but so far it appears that nothing is being done. However I suspect that when action is taken by the victims the Police will become very much more active.

I know cuts in budget will be blamed but like most things run by government I believe it is far more a case of a budget badly spent and priorities very diverse from that of the majority of people who supply the funding. Would be interesting to know if others agree or think that the Police have their priorities right.

I am sure if you had put a smaller number plate on your bike numerous police would have turned up to fine you.

I got burgled about 25 years ago whilst I was at work so reported it at about 4.30pm when I got home. Was told not to touch anything and they would send someone around. Police turned up about 6 hours later had a look around and said they think they know who has done it but can’t prove anything.

Was too late for me to get the window fixed that was broken in the break in so I said to the copper I better take a golf putter to bed with me in case they come back. He then said I would be arrested if I attacked them and I should phone the police if they returned.

Got a crime number but they had no real interest in investigating it.

Seems like nothing has changed by the way you have been treated by the police.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vince said:

I will write the letter so that all possible is done but I feel that the days of the Police being public servants are long gone. Sometime ago they stopped calling you sir and started saying 'mate' 

My next door neighbour, a retired policy dog handler tells me the trouble started when it stopped being a police force and started being a police service.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DC2 said:

Can’t you just connect your door handle to the electric every evening?

That should deter them.  :D

3 hours ago, BangerBoy said:

Can't do that think about their well being

Many a true word spoken in jest but there is case law that. says under the Occupiers liability Act you have to provide a safe means of access to all visitors. If you electrocute the poor innocent burglar you are in trouble !

16 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Many a true word spoken in jest but there is case law that. says under the Occupiers liability Act you have to provide a safe means of access to all visitors. If you electrocute the poor innocent burglar you are in trouble !

Tony Martin had different ideas :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stevehone said:

Tony Martin had different ideas :D

Yes , and spent 5 years or whatever it was in prison for protecting his property against thieves . 

3 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Yes , and spent 5 years or whatever it was in prison for protecting his property against thieves . 

For shooting someone in the back while they were running away. Not the same thing.

3 minutes ago, Grachan said:

For shooting someone in the back while they were running away. Not the same thing.

Wasn’t there a guy who wired up his shed door handle to a car battery and got convicted though ? Maybe getting confused with Tony Martin here.... but sure he was fed up with his shed being broken into

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Wasn’t there a guy who wired up his shed door handle to a car battery and got convicted though ? Maybe getting confused with Tony Martin here.... but sure he was fed up with his shed being broken into

Not sure if it's the same guy. What Tony Martin did was point his gun at some burglars and they ran away. He then shot and killed one as they were running.

As much as you can feel sympathy for him in such a situation, the fact that the guy was running off and he shot him in the back was what got him convicted.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Vermin control...;)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Not sure if it's the same guy. What Tony Martin did was point his gun at some burglars and they ran away. He then shot and killed one as they were running.

As much as you can feel sympathy for him in such a situation, the fact that the guy was running off and he shot him in the back was what got him convicted.

No it wasn’t Tony Martin. Another guy. Can’t find it, but found this, which is probably the USA

A guy who lives near me had motorbikes stolen out of his garage 3 times. He knew who was doing it, the police knew too. He warned the lad if he did it again he was gonna get hurt. The lad was putting his hand over the top of the garage door to open the latch. He wired a 1mm single live from the a light switch in the garage to the top of the up and over door and positioned it dangling next to the latch without touching it. All he had to do was switch it off when he wanted to leave. The lad tried to break in and touched the cable, his hand was trapped in the door and he was very lucky he didn't die. He burns to his hand. The guy had 5 years jail and did 2 and a half. The law stinks. Don't think the lad has nicked ay more bikes though.

6 minutes ago, Grachan said:

He acually shot him in the legs I believe. He was shooting downstairs,  in the dark, once when the Burglars were at the bottom of the stair well and twice when they were making their escape through a window. Martin had a proven personality disorder , linked to depression specifically directed to people enetering his home.  He claimed to have had £6000 of furniture and goods stolen on many previous burglaries .  He had no licence for his shotgun

Yes, I get it that the law said he had to go to prison but put yourself in his shoes . Two men in your house at the bottom of the stairwell . Would you not be inclined to fire a second shot on their way out knowing that people like that may be back ?

The "traveller" that dies had more that 20 convictions , including two months in jail for assaulting a policeman and had only been released on bail from another offence that very day . Tony Martin recieved no Legal Aid for his defence. The surviving Thief was granted Legal Aid to sue Martin for alleged injuries but that case collapsed when and investigator from the Sun photographed him walking around with no sign of the alleged injuries. 

Without commenting on the rights and wrongs of the case it shows in a nutshell the difficulty in framing laws to protect property when dealing with those who live to a totally different set of standards to everyone else. When you have some scumbag that has over 20 convictions including assaulting a Policeman and still only aged 16 working with a career criminal I see no alternative to very long prison sentences because they are clearly not going to change 

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

No it wasn’t Tony Martin. Another guy. Can’t find it, but found this, which is probably the USA

A guy who lives near me had motorbikes stolen out of his garage 3 times. He knew who was doing it, the police knew too. He warned the lad if he did it again he was gonna get hurt. The lad was putting his hand over the top of the garage door to open the latch. He wired a 1mm single live from the a light switch in the garage to the top of the up and over door and positioned it dangling next to the latch without touching it. All he had to do was switch it off when he wanted to leave. The lad tried to break in and touched the cable, his hand was trapped in the door and he was very lucky he didn't die. He burns to his hand. The guy had 5 years jail and did 2 and a half. The law stinks. Don't think the lad has nicked ay more bikes though.

That reminds me of an interview with Cat Stevens when he was Josef Islam or whatever he called himself. He was asked about the supposed brutality of Islamic nations that chopped peoples hands off for stealing. His answer was you dont see many people out there walking round with no hands.

Maybe theres a lesson for us there ;)

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

He acually shot him in the legs I believe. He was shooting downstairs,  in the dark, once when the Burglars were at the bottom of the stair well and twice when they were making their escape through a window. Martin had a proven personality disorder , linked to depression specifically directed to people enetering his home.  He claimed to have had £6000 of furniture and goods stolen on many previous burglaries .  He had no licence for his shotgun

Yes, I get it that the law said he had to go to prison but put yourself in his shoes . Two men in your house at the bottom of the stairwell . Would you not be inclined to fire a second shot on their way out knowing that people like that may be back ?

The "traveller" that dies had more that 20 convictions , including two months in jail for assaulting a policeman and had only been released on bail from another offence that very day . Tony Martin recieved no Legal Aid for his defence. The surviving Thief was granted Legal Aid to sue Martin for alleged injuries but that case collapsed when and investigator from the Sun photographed him walking around with no sign of the alleged injuries. 

Without commenting on the rights and wrongs of the case it shows in a nutshell the difficulty in framing laws to protect property when dealing with those who live to a totally different set of standards to everyone else. When you have some scumbag that has over 20 convictions including assaulting a Policeman and still only aged 16 working with a career criminal I see no alternative to very long prison sentences because they are clearly not going to change 

if it came down to protecting family where would you draw the line when it's heat of the moment?

3 minutes ago, stevehone said:

if it came down to protecting family where would you draw the line when it's heat of the moment?

They would end up in the mincer at the maggot farm and fed to the pigs in the next field. A tad harsh maybe, but hey ho...:)

• Haha 1