Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vince

Police priorities - public expectations

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

if it came down to protecting family where would you draw the line when it's heat of the moment?

I have a cosh in my bedside cabinet. It belonged to my grandad when he was a night watch man, but I think he got it from somewhere or someone and I guess it could be up to 100 years old. It’s only about a foot long but very heavy. It  Could break a mans skull quite easily. I keep it as an heirloom as it is the only thing of my grandads I have, but it’s only and arms length from my bed and if an intruder came in and it was me or him.........

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I have a cosh in my bedside cabinet. It belonged to my grandad when he was a night watch man, but I think he got it from somewhere or someone and I guess it could be up to 100 years old. It’s only about a foot long but very heavy. It  Could break a mans skull quite easily. I keep it as an heirloom as it is the only thing of my grandads I have, but it’s only and arms length from my bed and if an intruder came in and it was me or him.........

Best to use a heavy duty torch as very easy to claim self defence as it’s not classed as a weapon and can do some decent damage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I have a cosh in my bedside cabinet. It belonged to my grandad when he was a night watch man, but I think he got it from somewhere or someone and I guess it could be up to 100 years old. It’s only about a foot long but very heavy. It  Could break a mans skull quite easily. I keep it as an heirloom as it is the only thing of my grandads I have, but it’s only and arms length from my bed and if an intruder came in and it was me or him.........

Thanks for the tip off, i'll make sure i'm wearing my old Bell helmet when i pop round...;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Thanks for the tip off, i'll make sure i'm wearing my old Bell helmet when i pop round...;)

Better still, bring a bottle of Bells and we can sort it out amicably:party:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Grachan said:

For shooting someone in the back while they were running away. Not the same thing.

Should have not run away then

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/22/2021 at 4:42 PM, Blupanther said:

They would end up in the mincer at the maggot farm and fed to the pigs in the next field. A tad harsh maybe, but hey ho...:)

Are the maggot farm mincer and neighbouring pigs available for discreet hire? Asking for a friend...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Shrub said:

Are the maggot farm mincer and neighbouring pigs available for discreet hire? Asking for a friend...

PM me...:D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

A discussion on LBC Nick Ferrari Show on Yesterday was about the massive rise in tool thefts from tradesmen’s vans . On average £83,000 worth of tools stolen every day and only 3% recovered .

Apparently the thieves are getting bolder and doing things like cutting holes through the roofs of vans in daylight.

This is of course far worse than ordinary burglaries because if a tradesman has his tools stolen he can’t work and with the cost of tools it might take a guy several years to replace them all.

One guy, a tree surgeon phoned in to say he had a piece of equipment stolen worth £20k new. The next morning he saw it on eBay for £2,500 . He phoned the Police immediately, gave them their crime number and they put him on hold then said they would ring him back. It was three days before they phoned back and of course when they did the equipment had been sold. 
 

I was talking to my retired policeman neighbour about it and he said when he started in the Police more than 30 years ago, each beat was given a certain number of burglaries to investigate and they couldn’t go home until they had gone round and seen every one. How things have changed ! Now you are lucky if you even get a phone call.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

A discussion on LBC Nick Ferrari Show on Yesterday was about the massive rise in tool thefts from tradesmen’s vans . On average £83,000 worth of tools stolen every day and only 3% recovered .

Apparently the thieves are getting bolder and doing things like cutting holes through the roofs of vans in daylight.

This is of course far worse than ordinary burglaries because if a tradesman has his tools stolen he can’t work and with the cost of tools it might take a guy several years to replace them all.

One guy, a tree surgeon phoned in to say he had a piece of equipment stolen worth £20k new. The next morning he saw it on eBay for £2,500 . He phoned the Police immediately, gave them their crime number and they put him on hold then said they would ring him back. It was three days before they phoned back and of course when they did the equipment had been sold. 
 

I was talking to my retired policeman neighbour about it and he said when he started in the Police more than 30 years ago, each beat was given a certain number of burglaries to investigate and they couldn’t go home until they had gone round and seen every one. How things have changed ! Now you are lucky if you even get a phone call.

 

Standard response is ''would you like a crime number sir'' ...

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Standard response is ''would you like a crime number sir'' ...

I got 'we don't routinely investigate such incidents' followed by 'here is your crime number' followed by 'how do you feel?'

I explained that I felt like I'd been bent over and royally F****d twice, once by the burglars and a second time by you w*****s. Not the most suitable way to get your point across but I was a tad angry.

10 hours ago, E I Addio said:

A discussion on LBC Nick Ferrari Show on Yesterday was about the massive rise in tool thefts from tradesmen’s vans . On average £83,000 worth of tools stolen every day and only 3% recovered .

Apparently the thieves are getting bolder and doing things like cutting holes through the roofs of vans in daylight.

This is of course far worse than ordinary burglaries because if a tradesman has his tools stolen he can’t work and with the cost of tools it might take a guy several years to replace them all.

One guy, a tree surgeon phoned in to say he had a piece of equipment stolen worth £20k new. The next morning he saw it on eBay for £2,500 . He phoned the Police immediately, gave them their crime number and they put him on hold then said they would ring him back. It was three days before they phoned back and of course when they did the equipment had been sold. 
 

I was talking to my retired policeman neighbour about it and he said when he started in the Police more than 30 years ago, each beat was given a certain number of burglaries to investigate and they couldn’t go home until they had gone round and seen every one. How things have changed ! Now you are lucky if you even get a phone call.

 

 

My son and nephew work together building playgrounds and putting down the rubber surfacing so obviously on site they have a lot of expensive power tools. While working in Wales they had a group of travellers come up and start looking around their vans so while my son went over my nephew phoned the Police. Their response was that they would try and get somebody there inside 90 minutes. This wasn't deep in the valleys but in Barry so presumably the Police intended to take a slow walk over from Cardiff! Fortunately they are both big lads and not timid so they just stood their ground.

Another interesting thing they came across was that staying in a hotel there (Travel lodge, Premier or similar) they found the hotel mostly full with apparently homeless people because of Covid. By all accounts it was pretty horrendous with drunken antics going on all night and the government were also paying for full time security guards on the hotel as well. The lads had real doubts about just how homeless many of the guests were as only a small percentage were Welsh and all were outnumbered by scousers. Comes to something when you work away and are paying for people to keep you awake all night!

In a similar vein I once had my bank account hacked and lots of items bought online. I notified the Police and gave them all the details but realised they were going to do nothing so although I had my money refunded by the bank I contacted all the shops they had bought from to try and get addresses for where the parcels had been delivered. Most of the companies wouldn't release the details but two did and gave the same address in Middlesex. I passed the information on to the Police who were not interested in the slightest despite that being good evidence of receiving if nothing else.

My son was mugged when he was about 12 on the way home from school, luckily I was at home as I was working nights so we jumped in the car and saw this group of teenagers and I asked for his stuff back and got it. My missus had rung the Police who turned up 2 hours later and demanded to know how I had got his stuff back and had I threatened anybody, obviously I said not.

I'm entirely convinced now that if you are a victim of theft you need to take action yourself rather than wait on the Police. I do suspect in that case you might suddenly see more interest shown by the forces of law and order though.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Vince said:

I got 'we don't routinely investigate such incidents' followed by 'here is your crime number' followed by 'how do you feel?'

I explained that I felt like I'd been bent over and royally F****d twice, once by the burglars and a second time by you w*****s. Not the most suitable way to get your point across but I was a tad angry.

 

My son and nephew work together building playgrounds and putting down the rubber surfacing so obviously on site they have a lot of expensive power tools. While working in Wales they had a group of travellers come up and start looking around their vans so while my son went over my nephew phoned the Police. Their response was that they would try and get somebody there inside 90 minutes. This wasn't deep in the valleys but in Barry so presumably the Police intended to take a slow walk over from Cardiff! Fortunately they are both big lads and not timid so they just stood their ground.

Another interesting thing they came across was that staying in a hotel there (Travel lodge, Premier or similar) they found the hotel mostly full with apparently homeless people because of Covid. By all accounts it was pretty horrendous with drunken antics going on all night and the government were also paying for full time security guards on the hotel as well. The lads had real doubts about just how homeless many of the guests were as only a small percentage were Welsh and all were outnumbered by scousers. Comes to something when you work away and are paying for people to keep you awake all night!

In a similar vein I once had my bank account hacked and lots of items bought online. I notified the Police and gave them all the details but realised they were going to do nothing so although I had my money refunded by the bank I contacted all the shops they had bought from to try and get addresses for where the parcels had been delivered. Most of the companies wouldn't release the details but two did and gave the same address in Middlesex. I passed the information on to the Police who were not interested in the slightest despite that being good evidence of receiving if nothing else.

My son was mugged when he was about 12 on the way home from school, luckily I was at home as I was working nights so we jumped in the car and saw this group of teenagers and I asked for his stuff back and got it. My missus had rung the Police who turned up 2 hours later and demanded to know how I had got his stuff back and had I threatened anybody, obviously I said not.

I'm entirely convinced now that if you are a victim of theft you need to take action yourself rather than wait on the Police. I do suspect in that case you might suddenly see more interest shown by the forces of law and order though.

When I was about 15 or 16 I had my bike stolen . I reported it to the Police station who took a description and asked for the frame number which I had written down at home and they asked me to phone it through, but like most teenagers my mind was on other things and I forgot.  A couple of days later the DC allocated to investigate the case phoned me up to get the frame number and a few days later they rang back to say they had got my bike back.

I think that really illustrates how far things have fallen.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Sadly the police dont give a monkeys about thefts these days , the police in Aus are the same. 
 

One site i was on had a shipping container cut open with a petrol discutter and about $80k worth of tools robbed and the police done nothing. Luckily i take all my hand and power tools home every night but was baffled at how poorly it was handled. 

Share this post


Link to post

Coincidentally I had a call from a PC today to tell me they hadn't found anything so were closing the case. I pointed out that I had no idea they had opened a case and that not looking for something doesn't give much chance of finding it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Many of these thefts are committed by a certain group of people that we musn't mention, for fear of discrimination. Just like many of the stolen dogs, the stolen items get moved around the country and away from the area of the 'investigating' police force. Such is life these days i'm afraid, throwing resources at theft is no longer a priority compared to serious 'hurty word crime'...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy