British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vince

Police priorities - public expectations

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Vince said:

Bit of a follow up to the stolen bike situation.

The guy who had £35k of bikes stolen was on FB checking out the culprits pages yet again and saw a picture of one of the lads on one of the stolen bikes in a garden that had been put up literally 2 minutes earlier. He phoned the Police, explained that he had checked on Google earth and the garden was definitely the lads home address and he had pictures of the same bike and there was enough evidence to be 100% certain it was his bike. The Police said that was not enough evidence for them to take action as the picture could have been taken at any time.

Apparently, and I'm sure it was just a coincidence, 4 blokes visited this lads address that evening but he wasn't home so they beat a hole in the shed so they could look inside but the bike wasn't there. They then went to another address and opened a garage door they had presumably been informed the gang used to store goods and there were over 20 bicycles in there but no motorcycles. In another coincidence there was an anonymous tip off made to the Police giving the address of the garage and explaining about the contents, 2 days later the garage remained in exactly the same condition with a bent door and the bicycles inside.

On the plus side my bike has been seen being ridden around on an estate so is still about. They use the local parks and being thieves nothing is done about them riding illegally unlike honest bike owners who take a bike onto public land. I suspect that if somebody were to accidently knock one or more of these lads off a bike, cause them any injury and make off with the machine the Police will be visiting soon after. But at least we know about how much evidence they need in order to see if you have the bike now!

And yet they will spend a fortune pursuing other cases with no evidence. 

A friend of mine , was in partnership with someone else as a tree surgeon. Unbeknown to him his buisness partner was involved in something dodgy that was nothing to do with him or the business. However the investigating officer, D.C. Booker of Hertford decided on the basis of no evidence that my friend must be up to something so he had his house searched, but found nothing incriminating so out of maliciousness showed some photographs they found of a previous girlfriend to his present girlfriend to try to embarrass him. Fortunately the present one knew about the previous one so there was no problem  but that's the sort of tactics they employ . Not satisfied with that they somehow managed to freeze his bank account so his business collapsed.. Eventually, after several months of finding no evidence  they gave up had he was able to start a fresh business but is now suing the police for harassment and loss of earnings so this farce is going to cost them thousands of pounds which might be better spent trying to find stolen motor bikes or tool thieves .  It doesn't sound a big deal written down like this but its a major problem for those involved when they go months with their bank account frozen and not being able to pay the bills.

On a different tack, I am not a huge fan of Alex Belfield but I have been following his battle with the BBC and Nottinghamshire police which typifies the sort of incompetence that goes on . Well worth following IMO. He has just started suing the police. Hers a  clip of when they turned up to search his house without a warrant. St from 2.10 if you want to cut out the silly stuff. The way the police tried to conceal their identity and got caught out is both hilarious and a shocking display of incompetence. 

Meet PC Martyn Swinscoe #1883 @ Notts Back Door Basher - Bing video

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Vince said:

Bit of a follow up to the stolen bike situation.

The guy who had £35k of bikes stolen was on FB checking out the culprits pages yet again and saw a picture of one of the lads on one of the stolen bikes in a garden that had been put up literally 2 minutes earlier. He phoned the Police, explained that he had checked on Google earth and the garden was definitely the lads home address and he had pictures of the same bike and there was enough evidence to be 100% certain it was his bike. The Police said that was not enough evidence for them to take action as the picture could have been taken at any time.

Apparently, and I'm sure it was just a coincidence, 4 blokes visited this lads address that evening but he wasn't home so they beat a hole in the shed so they could look inside but the bike wasn't there. They then went to another address and opened a garage door they had presumably been informed the gang used to store goods and there were over 20 bicycles in there but no motorcycles. In another coincidence there was an anonymous tip off made to the Police giving the address of the garage and explaining about the contents, 2 days later the garage remained in exactly the same condition with a bent door and the bicycles inside.

On the plus side my bike has been seen being ridden around on an estate so is still about. They use the local parks and being thieves nothing is done about them riding illegally unlike honest bike owners who take a bike onto public land. I suspect that if somebody were to accidently knock one or more of these lads off a bike, cause them any injury and make off with the machine the Police will be visiting soon after. But at least we know about how much evidence they need in order to see if you have the bike now!

tell the police they're not wearing a mask, they'll swarm out in numbers

• Like 3

8 hours ago, E I Addio said:

On a different tack, I am not a huge fan of Alex Belfield but I have been following his battle with the BBC and Nottinghamshire police which typifies the sort of incompetence that goes on . Well worth following IMO. He has just started suing the police. Hers a  clip of when they turned up to search his house without a warrant. St from 2.10 if you want to cut out the silly stuff. The way the police tried to conceal their identity and got caught out is both hilarious and a shocking display of incompetence. 

Meet PC Martyn Swinscoe #1883 @ Notts Back Door Basher - Bing video

it's not just Alex Belfield that's affected by Nottinghamshire police, look at this!!

Then we hear that Manchester United players have reported being called names online to the Police. Pay me their wage and I'll take all the abuse thrown at me with a large pinch of salt as it deserves. Unless it is threatening its not something the Police should be involved with. 

10 minutes ago, Vince said:

Then we hear that Manchester United players have reported being called names online to the Police. Pay me their wage and I'll take all the abuse thrown at me with a large pinch of salt as it deserves. Unless it is threatening its not something the Police should be involved with. 

What would Eric Cantona do? ;)

• Like 1

A shopkeeper (single female) living above with car parking access to side of property for her and her customers

Takeaway next door with inconsiderate delivery drivers constantly blocking her access

Shopkeeper on numerous occasions politely speaks to said drivers imploring them to stop

Drivers continue to ignore 

Shopkeeper at end of tether one day shouts angrily for one to move

Driver enters shopkeepers premises and punches her in the face causing significant damage and bleeding

Police reaction.......

Mrs Shopkeeper do you not think you provoked him by shouting angrily

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I heard yesterday from a WPC who works in Nottingham that the cuts in the Police  budget mean that although her shift is supposed to have 9 PCs out there are sometimes as little as two out, so if the get sent on one call there is literally nobody else to send on whatever else comes up.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I heard yesterday from a WPC who works in Nottingham that the cuts in the Police  budget mean that although her shift is supposed to have 9 PCs out there are sometimes as little as two out, so if the get sent on one call there is literally nobody else to send on whatever else comes up.

I seem to recall that one of Boris Johnson's pledges in 2019 was to employ 20,000 extra officers? Yet more political rhetoric without any substance.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I seem to recall that one of Boris Johnson's pledges in 2019 was to employ 20,000 extra officers? Yet more political rhetoric without any substance.

Not at all, just waiting for the law to be changed so they can advertise legally for only non whites

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, E I Addio said:

I've heard the same but wonder if it is the whole story or is the money just being spent elsewhere. Equally you hear that some are spending the majority of their shift form filling in the follow up to minor events when it could easily be done by an administrator.

Personally I think there has been a huge shift in what the most senior Police consider to be the most serious events and where their resources are best used. That shift has taken them ever further away from what the public who foot the bill want but they don't seem to care.

Certainly there seems to be no shortage of officers to attend the best publicised incidents, particularly involving celebrities.

And they continue on the path away from the public: Frontline policing at risk from all graduate plans, warns top crime commissioner (msn.com)

Best quote in the article "An officer said to me: ‘At 2.30am in the morning when it's kicking off outside of a nightclub, and I'm about to get out of the car, I would rather the person next to me had done four years in the Army, than had got a 2:1 in expressive dance." :D

• Haha 3