Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marko

Premier Sports, worth the money?

Recommended Posts

We have a thread on Eurosport in the Prem section but this question is more about speedway on the World scene but in particular Poland and Sweden which I understand Prem Sports covers.

Since I have moved into a rented property I have axed Virgin Media, it was costing my a fortune every month and the cost of the Sports channels really hiked the price up.

Decided I can live without SKY Sports and BT Sport, but I am tempted to do an online sub with Prem Sports as they show on the face of it, plenty of speedway and a few other sports I quite like and the cost is not much more than say a Netflix.

What is everyone's opinion on this channel? not just its speedway coverage? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me Premier Sports is the new Eurosport, the way Eurosport used to be back in the day. They have a few showpiece sports that they build their channels around Scottish/Spanish/Italian Football, NHL, some Rugby and NASCAR (I think) and fill the rest of the airtime with mostly showing 3rd rate sports (Speedway lol) on the cheap i.e. lone commentators working from home (or a centrally based studio) trying to kid you that they are at the stadium. I'm only interested in the Speedway really, so can only really comment on that. Compared to last year so far it's been absolutely p155 poor mainly due to PS deciding to only show the Polish Sunday matches and Poland deciding to call most of them off based on a weather forecast. Hopefully when the weather gets better in the summer things will be better with the added coverage of the Swedish speedway league.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not been as good as last year as they showed all the meetings.

However when the Swedish league starts you are getting 3 meetings a week so pretty good value. They also show boxing which I watch so I get pretty good value out of my subscription.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 2:12 PM, marko said:

We have a thread on Eurosport in the Prem section but this question is more about speedway on the World scene but in particular Poland and Sweden which I understand Prem Sports covers.

Since I have moved into a rented property I have axed Virgin Media, it was costing my a fortune every month and the cost of the Sports channels really hiked the price up.

Decided I can live without SKY Sports and BT Sport, but I am tempted to do an online sub with Prem Sports as they show on the face of it, plenty of speedway and a few other sports I quite like and the cost is not much more than say a Netflix.

What is everyone's opinion on this channel? not just its speedway coverage? 

 

 

seems good for me - only showing Polish speedway on Sundays this year (2 matches) and will be doing Sweden again when they start - only costs me £10 per month through Virgin tv

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had it last year and decided against it this year, after they axed the Friday coverage. Even last year they wouldn’t show all matches live when they had previously said they would. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Swedish coverage chopped and changed too. 

I also hate the constant replays whilst track grading is going on that PS show. On the actual Polish coverage you get to see various interviews (other than the Polish riders, most of which are conducted in English and translated) and other things going on in the pits too. 

Edited by Najjer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with this as I’m in the same position - subscribed last year, haven’t for this. One of the problems was that Premier Sports were taking the feed from a local TV company, Polish or Swedish, and when they went for a break or interviews, then the English commentator, Dave Goddard had to fill in as best he could. I thought he did a decent job under the circumstances but I found watching it just got tedious.

Added to that, there were often replays of events, without explanation, when live meetings had been scheduled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch most of it on FFWD the next day, the beauty of Speedway is you're most unlikely to hear the result before you watch it especially Polish Speedway lol. It's not been VFM so far this season with around 50% of the matches so far being postponed and others being shown on FreeSports. I can't see myself returning next year, as long as life returns to something like normality, but in the mean time I'm happy to pay a tenner a month for some Speedway

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 2:12 PM, marko said:

We have a thread on Eurosport in the Prem section but this question is more about speedway on the World scene but in particular Poland and Sweden which I understand Prem Sports covers.

Since I have moved into a rented property I have axed Virgin Media, it was costing my a fortune every month and the cost of the Sports channels really hiked the price up.

Decided I can live without SKY Sports and BT Sport, but I am tempted to do an online sub with Prem Sports as they show on the face of it, plenty of speedway and a few other sports I quite like and the cost is not much more than say a Netflix.

What is everyone's opinion on this channel? not just its speedway coverage? 

 

 

Considering NDL clubs want £6.99/£7/99 for live streams it would appear to beVFM over the speedway season given you also get Swedish meetings.Six months subscription is the way to go IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Considering NDL clubs want £6.99/£7/99 for live streams it would appear to beVFM over the speedway season given you also get Swedish meetings.Six months subscription is the way to go IMO.

To me, the cost wasn’t the issue. It was the coverage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

To me, the cost wasn’t the issue. It was the coverage

Maybe not for you then.Speedway is not high profile in the World of Sport these days ,so Sports Channels and Companies taking the feed are not going to go overboard on Budgets.It is what is nowadays, personally I like Polish Meetings and is worth Tenner a Month to watch at leisure.

Just as with Pearson and Tatum you can always turn sound off.

Edited by Fromafar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It strikes me that at £10.99 per month, Premier Sports offering, is a darn sight more attractive than that of Fanseat’s at €14.99! Linking up with a niche broadcaster that has French & Latavian Ice Hockey, Lithuanian Basketball, & Swedish Women’s Football as its key offering,  really puts into perspective where the top level of speedway in the UK ranks in terms of Europe’s sporting elite!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2021 at 12:31 PM, Mr Snackette said:

It strikes me that at £10.99 per month, Premier Sports offering, is a darn sight more attractive than that of Fanseat’s at €14.99! Linking up with a niche broadcaster that has French & Latavian Ice Hockey, Lithuanian Basketball, & Swedish Women’s Football as its key offering,  really puts into perspective where the top level of speedway in the UK ranks in terms of Europe’s sporting elite!!

I thought Fanseat was for non-UK viewers? Did the press release not say that UK meetings wouldn’t be viewable on Fanseat in UK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

I thought Fanseat was for non-UK viewers? Did the press release not say that UK meetings wouldn’t be viewable on Fanseat in UK?

It did... but that's easily bypassed with a VPN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2021 at 1:37 PM, Wee Eck said:

I thought Fanseat was for non-UK viewers? Did the press release not say that UK meetings wouldn’t be viewable on Fanseat in UK?

Firstly, I am a non-UK viewer(as per my profile)! That said, as iainb pointed out, most folk watch television either with a VPN, a Smart DNS, or Streamlocater!

Edited by Mr Snackette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mr Snackette said:

Firstly, I am a non-UK viewer(as per my profile)! That said, as iainb pointed out, most folk watch television either with a VPN, a Smart DNS, or Streamlocater!

I’m clearly not “most people” then and, by your definition, I suspect most people on here are not “most people”. I’ve heard of a VPN, but would have to look up Smart DND or Streamlocater. I assume they are all available at a cost. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy