Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arch Stanton

Ipswich V Belle Vue 20th May

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Badge said:

And very necessary and much appreciated by all,  how cold was it last night :o.

Lovely to see everyone back. 

It was indeed great to get back to see old friends and some racing

I didn't even attempt to go to the pits after as I normally would - assumed it would be off limits at present.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Heathcote said:

Well so far there has only been 3 meetings and a number 1 has finished last in all 3 heat 1's so far...Batchelor, Kurtz and Cook was the last finisher !

Not exactly what you would call reliable though are they? Actually if there was a sport for whoever complained the most at least one of them would be a world champ! Haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I’m just pleased to see live action in a stadium with fans.  
I thought the result was fair and well done to both teams for entertaining us on such a cold evening. 
I bet Swindon and Somerset fans would love to be in our position.  

You got more mentions than anything speedway related. They should have got you out on centre green to have a chat with JC

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

It was indeed great to get back to see old friends and some racing

I didn't even attempt to go to the pits after as I normally would - assumed it would be off limits at present.... 

Yes we weren't allowed out of pits before during or after meeting.  It was a bit like the old days tbh, people congregating around the riders Van's after the meeting. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BarracudaAce said:

....maybe it shouldn't, but it does happen!!

Indeed, it has happened in two of the three matches this week - and in the third match, the home no.1 was third in a visitors' 5-1. 

If you're taking heat 1 in isolation, and saying that Brady Kurtz not getting 2nd in heat 1 cost the Aces a win, then you can say that Troy Batchelor and Craig Cook not winning their heat 1 cost Sheffield and King's Lynn a draw respectively. But, of course, other things happen in other heats that affect the final result.

If only Jake Allen had not been passed by both Aces in heat 15 last night then Ipswich would still have won!!

 

1 hour ago, Heathcote said:

Well so far there has only been 3 meetings and a number 1 has finished last in all 3 heat 1's so far...Batchelor, Kurtz and Cook was the last finisher !

Heathcote - did you not see that the point had already been made a couple of hours earlier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Not exactly what you would call reliable though are they? Actually if there was a sport for whoever complained the most at least one of them would be a world champ! Haha.

Perhaps Batch and Cookie would need a run-off or a complain-off to decide the World Champion?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone aware of people being turned away because the 2000 limit had been met as the attendance looked like it exceeded 2000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rob B said:

Number 1 in heat 1 always has to start on gate 3 or 4 which on most tracks are tougher and then heat 1 is usually harder to pass in as all the grip on inside.

100%..

And gone are the days of No1's picking their own gate, and if on gate 4 nowadays, then their opposite number can pretty much screw up their whole race at the first turn, given there is a far narrower difference in level between No1 riders to second strings now...

In years gone by a poor first couple of turns could see the No1 rider finding himself at the back however he could, on many occasions, comfortably pass both his second string and the opposition's to finish second..

Not as easy nowadays given the No1 invariably isnt a 10/11 point average man..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikebv said:

100%..

And gone are the days of No1's picking their own gate, and if on gate 4 nowadays, then their opposite number can pretty much screw up their whole race at the first turn, given there is a far narrower difference in level between No1 riders to second strings now...

In years gone by a poor first couple of turns could see the No1 rider finding himself at the back however he could, on many occasions, comfortably pass both his second string and the opposition's to finish second..

Not as easy nowadays given the No1 invariably isnt a 10/11 point average man..

Not like 1976...

  Rider Nat Team C.M.A.
1 John Louis England Ipswich Witches 11.10
2= Ivan Mauger New Zealand Exeter Falcons 11.00
2= Ole Olsen Denmark Coventry Bees 11.00
4 Peter Collins England Belle Vue Aces 10.98
5 Phil Crump Australia Newport 10.68
6 Dave Jessup England Reading Racers 10.42
7 Malcolm Simmons England Poole Pirates 10.30
8 Dave Morton England Hackney Hawks 10.28
9 John Boulger Australia Cradley United 9.93
10 Martin Ashby England Swindon Robins 9.89
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Message from club 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Not forgetting the riders they had to beat to get these averages.The standard and strength in depth has declined a lot from these days.No1’s nowadays probably only have a couple the beat in the opposition these days.(Tin Hat On):D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Badge said:

Message from club 

 

 

The funny thing was The Massif sat pretty much in the same seats as we would normally 

Intact there is a couple covering my flag in the picture where there would usually be a space :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great to get back to the Heath for live speedway although I struggle to see how wearing masks out in a vast open space is necessary and I'm in the veteran age category shall we say!

 

Another complaint about the draconian covid restrictions - The toilet block behind the main stand next to the pits had both the gents and ladies toilets closed with only the one disabled toilet open which meant that everyone requiring needed to use the one toilet! - Surely everyone using the one toilet is decreasing good hygiene levels? - Madness of the times we live in!

 

As for the match, there was a few decent races in between the usual gate and go ones and the last heat decider was exciting. As for the Witches - I think the lack of an out and number 1 is going to hamper them and again they are relying on someone like Rowe has so far scoring far above his average and expectations. Crump looks decent if he gates but isn't going to get double figures regularly enough for a number 1 and Kemp needs to improve or it could be long season for him.

Edited by 25yearfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Great to get back to the Heath for live speedway although I struggle to see how wearing masks out in a vast open space is necessary and I'm in the veteran age category shall we say!

 

Another complaint about the draconian covid restrictions - The toilet block behind the main stand next to the pits had both the gents and ladies toilets closed with only the one disabled toilet open which meant that everyone requiring needed to use the one toilet! - Surely everyone using the one toilet is decreasing good hygiene levels? - Madness of the times we live in!

 

As for the match, there was a few decent races in between the usual gate and go ones and the last heat decider was exciting. As for the Witches - I think the lack of an out and number 1 is going to hamper them and again they are relying on someone like Rowe has so far scoring far above his average and expectations. Crump looks decent if he gates but isn't going to get double regularly enough for a number 1 and Kemp needs to improve or it could be long season for him.

Regarding kemp, he was thrown in at the deep end in his first 2 matches. 

 

They kept swapping the reserves round giving Rowe the easier rides meaning kemp kept going from the tough gates in the tougher races 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Regarding kemp, he was thrown in at the deep end in his first 2 matches. 

 

They kept swapping the reserves round giving Rowe the easier rides meaning kemp kept going from the tough gates in the tougher races 

Seems counter productive for this to be allowed to happen to the Rising Stars....by all means take them out of a ride if the team are losing but they should stay in their programmed heats other than that, on their programmed gates. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy