British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds vs Leicester Lions 4pm 20/06/21

1 minute ago, Marshall07 said:

It's always been quoted that clubs are running to local authority rules.

That was my assumption. But if a club like Newcastle (and they can't be the only one) is suffering simply because a proportion of it's customer base are put off from attending due to having to buy tickets online, surely it can be argued that if it's ok to pay at the gate in one area, it must be ok in another. Can a local authority can't be so job's worth as to threaten a local treasure simply by applying rules that are not applied in identical circumstances elsewhere?

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Pre- booked ticket only admission at Armadale.

I stand corrected. I was certain I saw the majority of fans paying at the window.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, False dawn said:

That was my assumption. But if a club like Newcastle (and they can't be the only one) is suffering simply because a proportion of it's customer base are put off from attending due to having to buy tickets online, surely it can be argued that if it's ok to pay at the gate in one area, it must be ok in another. Can a local authority can't be so job's worth as to threaten a local treasure simply by applying rules that are not applied in identical circumstances elsewhere?

For me, it's simply about finding a way to make it easier for those people. Advanced tickets don't have to just be online. But that isn't the reason people aren't buying tickets. There is only a handful of people that have absolutely no access to any form of internet whether it be through grandchildren etc. 

19 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Already got my ticket, sponsor a Gems heat and will stick some more into the JustGiving page but I’m retired and there is a limit to what I can do. Sorry. 

My wife and I will be there and will also donate into the justgiving page but I agree people like ourselves can only do so much and while people share and encourage people to give some of them are more reluctant to hand their own cash over. I think I agree with THJ and maybe after Sunday put racing on hold until after 19th July to see just what people can or indeed can’t do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

For me, it's simply about finding a way to make it easier for those people. Advanced tickets don't have to just be online. But that isn't the reason people aren't buying tickets. There is only a handful of people that have absolutely no access to any form of internet whether it be through grandchildren etc. 

You're right, of course. But many clubs are running close to edge. Any barrier, perceived or actual, to "going to the speedway" can be financially critical.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, False dawn said:

You're right, of course. But many clubs are running close to edge. Any barrier, perceived or actual, to "going to the speedway" can be financially critical.

Financially Critical.... just checked my bank account from the Edinburgh meeting and my bar bill to Team Greyhound (ARC) was £142:30 and there was another £19:50 on the way home in the Powder Monkey with Messrs Barker and Aarnio… if it does go I will save a fortune that is for sure...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, False dawn said:

Can a local authority can't be so job's worth as to threaten a local treasure simply by applying rules that are not applied in identical circumstances elsewhere?

It is the council you're talking about innit? ;)

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Whoa there Biffa steady on; that novelty will never wear off on this fat lad...

Regards

THJ

A wouldn't expect it to. ;)

We had set up a 'WhatsApp - Saturday afternoon posse',,, a think it's been knocked on the head because of the current pub booking carry-on. :(

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Joe got a chance that many others would have loved due to his connections. Didn't work out for him but thats speedway.  I can only think Archie is the replacement.  

Keep thinking

1 hour ago, Marshall07 said:

You're right, I'm convinced a large proportion of the people who cite the online booking as the reason they won't go, probably would not have gone this year anyway, anyone without access could find someone to do it as you say if they really wanted to go.I'm 65, a bit computer literate, but have booked a couple of meetings at Eastbourne through the trybooking system on my phone, so easy and takes literally 5 mins (less the second time). Think the big problem is the difference between councils and the amount let in. Personally think it should be definitely online only at the moment with face masks, but larger numbers allowed in to help clubs to survive. Think there was about 800/900 at Arlington on Saturday against Edinburgh, all food outlets open, (could take the mask off to stuff a burger in) and enough fans to make an atmosphere, hence Sam Masters comments. We're lucky we've had some pretty progressive management/promoters over the last few seasons with good sponsorship and getting their head around online booking from word go, and to be honest the Eastie fans embraced it from word go as well. It can be done, but it won't do it itself, but definitely need more consistency from the councils.

Edited by gazzac

can they not open a sales office durning the week or saturday for public sale so people did not have to que on a match day or give tickets to a trusted local shop to be bought from durning the week  don’t know if Rob has  butchers shop where he could sell them from there if it’s only no sale on match days would this work 

Its a tough call we at Leicester are running at 50% capacity (1500) roughly. They are running online pre paid tickets only at this moment but they are entering to talks with the council to allow pay on the gate , local non league football teams are also pressing for pay on the gate because they have no way to sell pre match tickets . 

I would say our crowds are slightly down but I know the club are trying to facilitate fans who are struggling with online ticket purchasing.

3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Financially Critical.... just checked my bank account from the Edinburgh meeting and my bar bill to Team Greyhound (ARC) was £142:30 and there was another £19:50 on the way home in the Powder Monkey with Messrs Barker and Aarnio… if it does go I will save a fortune that is for sure...

Regards
THJ

So you had a quiet night then

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, False dawn said:

I stand corrected. I was certain I saw the majority of fans paying at the window.

They read the barcode on your pre paid ticket, but took cash / credit cards for the programs at the turnstiles. I would think it was this transaction that you saw. 

I saw an item on facebook about a week ago (Newcastle supporters site) where someone went on the trybooking site to book tickets and the site says the event was closed. The answer was that there are two events listed with the Leicester match on and you needed to click on the 2nd one. How many people, I wonder, have just seen the "Event closed" and just assumed that it was either cancelled or full. Not everybody does facebook.

Two weeks ago we had our 1st meeting against Edinburgh. In the matchday program the only mention of the following week meeting (U21) was a short paragraph at the end of Rob's bit. It was listed on the fixture page but no start time. The Leicester fixture was not mentioned at all. In fact the fixture list had no meeting listed for this sunday, as the Leicester match was shown as mid July, despite tickets having been on sale for at least a week beforehand. Surely it costs nothing to advertise to people in your own publication upcoming events in letters big enough to attract attention. It's not like the issue was crammed full of items to read.

Yes, THJ, I'll admit Rob isn't my favourite cup of tea, but, not withstanding, I don't want the club to fold. I've been a "paying supporter" in more ways than one since 1975, attending as many fixtures involving Newcastle as I can. I have probably missed no more than 50 since season 2000 home and away.

I have sent two messages to the promotion recently. one asking when tickets for the U21's were going on sale, and one mentioning the fact that the page set up for the printed Edinburgh ticket made part of the important part illegible as it was overprinted by the Diamonds logo. Did I get a response to either? Not a jot. If that's the way he wants to run a business then fine.

I have, however, despite this, contributed what I can afford to the "just giving page.