British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

You Again?

My next question is the result of stumbling across an incident in an old Speedway Star. We've gone through cases of riders not meeting a certain opponent during a whole meeting, but what about the opposite?

On 24th June, 1976, Sheffield took on Coventry in a BL fixture, and Doug Wyer scored a 15-point max. In FOUR of his five rides he faced Ole Olsen!

I know rider replacement and tac subs can increase the chances of that, but four out of five seems excessive! Does anyone know of any similar cases? Has anyone ever faced the same rider five times in an evening? Have any two riders met in every race?

Over to you...

1 minute ago, chunky said:

My next question is the result of stumbling across an incident in an old Speedway Star. We've gone through cases of riders not meeting a certain opponent during a whole meeting, but what about the opposite?

On 24th June, 1976, Sheffield took on Coventry in a BL fixture, and Doug Wyer scored a 15-point max. In FOUR of his five rides he faced Ole Olsen!

I know rider replacement and tac subs can increase the chances of that, but four out of five seems excessive! Does anyone know of any similar cases? Has anyone ever faced the same rider five times in an evening? Have any two riders met in every race?

Over to you...

You're coming up with right 'corkers' chunky. I'm going to check out Gordon Kennett's record during the 1977 season when at the commencement of the season he was often taking two Rider Replacement rides.

6 minutes ago, chunky said:

Over to you...

I'm pretty sure I've seen two reserves race each other 5 times at the Isle of Wight.

Just now, steve roberts said:

You're coming up with right 'corkers' chunky. I'm going to check out Gordon Kennett's record during the 1977 season when at the commencement of the season he was often taking two Rider Replacement rides.

I'm trying!

Thing is, I love stats, and I constantly go through meeting reports and scores looking for weird stuff. As I said, this is one I just stumbled on.

Another one I found recently was a rider riding in four successive races in a team meeting. I'm sure there are others, but has anyone done five on the bounce?

1 minute ago, arnieg said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen two reserves race each other 5 times at the Isle of Wight.

Interesting... Obviously, we've had different formats which can change the odds, but five seems a lot. Have to look into that!

4 minutes ago, chunky said:

I'm trying!

Thing is, I love stats, and I constantly go through meeting reports and scores looking for weird stuff. As I said, this is one I just stumbled on.

Another one I found recently was a rider riding in four successive races in a team meeting. I'm sure there are others, but has anyone done five on the bounce?

I seem to recall Trevor Geer doing that during the 1977 season at Poole?

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Thanks; I'll check that out!

31 minutes ago, chunky said:

Interesting... Obviously, we've had different formats which can change the odds, but five seems a lot. Have to look into that!

I was wrong, it was SIX (yes six!!) times

4 August 2016

George Piper (IoW) v Bradley Andrews (Cradley)

Piper took seven rides after fellow reserve Tyler Govier withdrew following a ht 2 fall. With Andrews on song and getting extra rides the pair met in heats:

2,4,8, 11,12 and 14.

Andrews beat Piper 4-2 which was crucial as Heathens won the match 45-44.

37 minutes ago, chunky said:

Thanks; I'll check that out!

I'm not able to access "Speedway Researcher" for some reason...only just started using it. A great source of information.

20 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I was wrong, it was SIX (yes six!!) times

4 August 2016

George Piper (IoW) v Bradley Andrews (Cradley)

Piper took seven rides after fellow reserve Tyler Govier withdrew following a ht 2 fall. With Andrews on song and getting extra rides the pair met in heats:

2,4,8, 11,12 and 14.

Andrews beat Piper 4-2 which was crucial as Heathens won the match 45-44.

That's great; thanks! I'm sure that's the record...

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Only three. He rode in heats 2, 3, 4 (he won all three), then 6, 8, and 9.

19 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I'm not able to access "Speedway Researcher" for some reason...only just started using it. A great source of information.

I love it. Problem is there is still a lot of stuff that hasn't made it on there. I really wish I had time to help Matt, but it is such a huge undertaking.

58 minutes ago, chunky said:

Only three. He rode in heats 2, 3, 4 (he won all three), then 6, 8, and 9.

Thanks for that!

57 minutes ago, chunky said:

I love it. Problem is there is still a lot of stuff that hasn't made it on there. I really wish I had time to help Matt, but it is such a huge undertaking.

As I say I've only just started using it (don't why it took me so long?) and it's a great resource...I've had problems today trying to open up some of the year options. I'll try again later.

17 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

As I say I've only just started using it (don't why it took me so long?) and it's a great resource...I've had problems today trying to open up some of the year options. I'll try again later.

I think I can explain...

It's not always easy to tell the difference (for us old gits with bad eyes) but if there is a working link, the text is green , but otherwise, it is black. As I said, it's not always easy to see, so I think that may be your problem. It particularly affects the late 70's onwards.

Now...

You told me about Trevor Geer at Poole in 1977. There is no active file for Poole OR White City in 1977. However, if you search by year (rather than by team), you will find a file for the 1977 complete season results, and that is where I found it.

Again, it is no criticism of Matt, Jim, or anyone else who has worked on the site, but not everything is available in every section. A lot of the time, the info just hasn't made it to the site, but sometimes it is, but just not available on team AND year. That is why I'd like to find time to help; it's not necessarily a case of searching for information, just collating the stuff already there.