British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rearing to go

Rob Lyon With A Headache Already!

I've mulled over this for weeks and as a King's Lynn fan I didn't want to say this but I feel Rob Lyon has already made his first mistake.

And that was naming Nicholls as captain. That already states, it doesn't matter how bad he rides, he's first pick, and that's wrong.

Any captain should be a rider on form and someone for the younger riders to look up to. Nicholls is neither of though's i'm affraid

With the exception of Nicholls all other riders mentioned in this thread for a team place will visit the EoES with their various clubs (Bridger twice infact) so this should give Rob Lyon ample opportunity to make his selection for the SWC2 in July. If Nicholls is to be in the team he needs to get himself to Peterborough for some track time after our meetings which I am sure would be granted to him.

Looking at his selected squad and bearing in mind their opposition at the EoES will be the Poles, Aussies and Slovenia it will be a very tough meeting and realistically I would expect Gb to come third.

Squad: Allen, Barker, Bridger, Harris, Kennett, King, Nicholls, Richardson, Screen, Stead, Woffinden, Wright.

I would go with

Nicholls - (providing he gets some practice of the EoEs) he is experienced and rides the Eoes well

Harris - Didnt have a good meeting at Peterborough last visit but is very capable there

Bridger - On form rider who has 2 visits to prove he deserves a place

Rico - Is having a good season with Lakeside and can ride the EoES well - 1 visit to come

Woffy - Rode well at Eoes in Pairs event last season - has 1 visit to prove himself

Of the remainder Allen, Barker, King and Wright will be out of their depth at the Showground in this company so not in my team. I have chosen Woffy over Kennett, Screen and Stead because they have had good and bad meetings and lack consistency but all 4 have one visit with their respective clubs to prove me wrong. Unless one of them has an outstanding meeting between now and July at the EoES which would warrant their inclusion I feel Woffy should be given an opportunity.

With the exception of Nicholls all other riders mentioned in this thread for a team place will visit the EoES with their various clubs (Bridger twice infact) so this should give Rob Lyon ample opportunity to make his selection for the SWC2 in July. If Nicholls is to be in the team he needs to get himself to Peterborough for some track time after our meetings which I am sure would be granted to him.

Looking at his selected squad and bearing in mind their opposition at the EoES will be the Poles, Aussies and Slovenia it will be a very tough meeting and realistically I would expect Gb to come third.

Squad: Allen, Barker, Bridger, Harris, Kennett, King, Nicholls, Richardson, Screen, Stead, Woffinden, Wright.

I would go with

Nicholls - (providing he gets some practice of the EoEs) he is experienced and rides the Eoes well

Harris - Didnt have a good meeting at Peterborough last visit but is very capable there

Bridger - On form rider who has 2 visits to prove he deserves a place

Rico - Is having a good season with Lakeside and can ride the EoES well - 1 visit to come

Woffy - Rode well at Eoes in Pairs event last season - has 1 visit to prove himself

Of the remainder Allen, Barker, King and Wright will be out of their depth at the Showground in this company so not in my team. I have chosen Woffy over Kennett, Screen and Stead because they have had good and bad meetings and lack consistency but all 4 have one visit with their respective clubs to prove me wrong. Unless one of them has an outstanding meeting between now and July at the EoES which would warrant their inclusion I feel Woffy should be given an opportunity.

You have added in Tai, after his pairs peformance :neutral:

1. Lukas Dryml 4, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4 = 22

2. Carl Wilkinson 3, 0, R, 2, R, N = 5 (27

3. Rene Bach 2, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0 = 4

4. Stuart Robson 0, 3, 3, 2, 4, 2 = 14 (18)

5. Claus Vissing 3, 4, 4, 3, F, 3, 17

6. Lee Complin 2, 2, 2, 0, 2, 2 = 10 (27)

7. Kenneth Bjerre 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 4 = 23

8. Casper Wortmann 0, 0, 0, 0, R, 2 = 2 (25)

9. Karol Zabik 3, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4 = 18

10. Tai Woffinden 4, 3, 4, 4, 2, R = 17 (35)

11. Lewis Bridger 2, 4, 3, 4, 2, 3 = 18

12. Richard Hall 0, 0, R, 2, 3, 0 = 5 (23)

13. Henning Bager 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4 = 19

14. Ulrich Ostergaard 2, 2, 0, 2, 4, 3 = 13 (32)

Hardly anyone there apart from Bjerre, that is close to the same level as world cup level?

IMO the strongest line up is:

Nicholls

Harris

Rico

Kennett

Bridger

all go well enough round the EOES, King can be back up, and were well away, but do agree, riders need practice around here first.

You have added in Tai, after his pairs peformance :neutral:

1. Lukas Dryml 4, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4 = 22

2. Carl Wilkinson 3, 0, R, 2, R, N = 5 (27

3. Rene Bach 2, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0 = 4

4. Stuart Robson 0, 3, 3, 2, 4, 2 = 14 (18)

5. Claus Vissing 3, 4, 4, 3, F, 3, 17

6. Lee Complin 2, 2, 2, 0, 2, 2 = 10 (27)

7. Kenneth Bjerre 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 4 = 23

8. Casper Wortmann 0, 0, 0, 0, R, 2 = 2 (25)

9. Karol Zabik 3, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4 = 18

10. Tai Woffinden 4, 3, 4, 4, 2, R = 17 (35)

11. Lewis Bridger 2, 4, 3, 4, 2, 3 = 18

12. Richard Hall 0, 0, R, 2, 3, 0 = 5 (23)

13. Henning Bager 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4 = 19

14. Ulrich Ostergaard 2, 2, 0, 2, 4, 3 = 13 (32)

Hardly anyone there apart from Bjerre, that is close to the same level as world cup level?

IMO the strongest line up is:

Nicholls

Harris

Rico

Kennett

Bridger

all go well enough round the EOES, King can be back up, and were well away, but do agree, riders need practice around here first.

Well we agree on everyone apart from Kennett and Woffy - just dont rate Eddie round the showground - look at his last visit (2 pts) I am certain Lewis can do much better. King had a good meeting this season at the showground but believe he will be out of his depth in this one. Woffy at No. 5 for me but only if none of the others I mentioned prove their selves over the next few weeks in club visits - and the same applies to him. If he has a bad meeting when Wolves visit then out he goes.

Well we agree on everyone apart from Kennett and Woffy - just dont rate Eddie round the showground - look at his last visit (2 pts) I am certain Lewis can do much better. King had a good meeting this season at the showground but believe he will be out of his depth in this one. Woffy at No. 5 for me but only if none of the others I mentioned prove their selves over the next few weeks in club visits - and the same applies to him. If he has a bad meeting when Wolves visit then out he goes.

and his 3 before that?

4. Edward Kennett 3, 1, 3, 3 = 10 - only beaten by niels after gating first.

season before:

5. Edward Kennett: 3 - 2 - 3 - 0 = 8 - lost to hans twice and king once

5. Edward Kennett 3, 3, 3, 3 = 12

so one bad meeting in last 4, and thats because the track was completely different, and remember....it will be different on the day off the world cup, as Ole will do the track, and it might even favour the brits, and also another one, they can come down and practice after the league meetings, so will get the set up more, Eddy has more experiance off the EOES and also the better riders.

Woffy is certainly up with a chance, but for this meeting, id go Kennett, and if we qualify, ill go tai IMO.

Edited by UnitedUnitedUnited

I'd like to think that Team GB would be competing for second place with Poland in the fixture because i think the Aussies will be far superior around the Showground as they have often proved in the past. But realistically I'd have to say that third is a more likely outcome for us with the current crop of riders.

My team would be:

Nicholls - his experience warrants an inclusion in the side and his ability around the EOES is probably the best we have! (though it hurts to say this since he has turned his back on the country) :mad:

Harris - he can be hit and miss around the showground in my experience and I question whether or not he can be a world beater especially if his current form is anything to go by... but still has to be included IMO

Rico - as maneacat says he is having a good season with Lakeside and has been a decent rider in the world cup in the last couple of years definitely has the ability to tide the showground as well

Kennett - his last appearance at the EOES was a mechanical nightmare if anything but his previous performances haven't been all that bad best from what we have at the moment i think

Bridger - although there is a lot of racing to be done between now and july... if he keeps up his current form i think he is worth a shot... he could be the the breath of fresh air we need like Tai was last year!

Like has been said though there is a lot still to happen between now and July and i'm sure i'll have changed my opinion a couple of times by then but IMO form should be key to who is and isn't selected if we are to stand any chance of at least reaching the playoff!

On current form, both Nicholls and Harris don't deserve to be in the 5 TBH as there are other British riders riding far better than them.

Rico

Woffinden

Bridger

King

Kennett

with Allen as backup.

I'd be inclined to agree with this team actually. Also I don't think Nicholls should be captain. In fact i don't think there should be a set captain, perhaps if we have a team of captains for once we might actually get somewhere.

If he goes for Nicholls and Rico in the same team............ ie something like

Nicholls

Rico

Harris

Kennett

Bridger

then the question has to be how is this any more youngster orientated than if Rob Lyon wasnt the manager and we werent going for 'youth' in particular?

The team above picks itself based on form............. a team really going for youth would be

Harris

Kennett

Bridger

Woffinden

King

but that is unlikely as someone else has pointed out because Nicholls has already been appointed captain.... so that makes:

Nicholls

Harris

Kennett

Bridger

Woffinden/King

Ultimately no matter what Rob Lyon is saying I would lay money that he will cave in to the pressure of the whole thing and select the first team above with both Nicholls and Rico included and that ultimately this team will be no more about youth than any other manager would have selected based on limitations and form

I hope I am wrong but I hope that we will finally see a GB team manager not only with his eye on the future with something more radical than 'normality' but also not trying to get us qualified before the race off............. it is easy to see how much better prepared for the final teams are who have got through the race off...... and it will do no good to our 'youngsters' to suffer a humiliation like 2 years ago because they arent setup correctly

If we are to use the likes of nicholls,harris & rico as automatic picks then this should be the last time if they dont improve on last years poor performance.

Chris Harris will be in the team for years to come unless 5 guys come along and perform better than him

and sadly I think it will be the same with Scott and Rico for a shorter amount of time................ while we have some riders making a bit of a leap this season the team pretty much still picks itself if the agenda is to pick the best 5 or 6 guys

I've mulled over this for weeks and as a King's Lynn fan I didn't want to say this but I feel Rob Lyon has already made his first mistake.

And that was naming Nicholls as captain. That already states, it doesn't matter how bad he rides, he's first pick, and that's wrong.

Any captain should be a rider on form and someone for the younger riders to look up to. Nicholls is neither of though's i'm afraid

You are quite right screamer....if Nicholls is riding like he was last night come July then I would hope that Rob would have the balls to not include him in GB's five.

Have him as a non riding captain by all means, but as things stand I would go with something like Harris, Kennett, Rico, Tai and Bridger.

Any captain should be a rider on form and someone for the younger riders to look up to. Nicholls is neither of though's i'm affraid

You are quite right screamer....if Nicholls is riding like he was last night come July then I would hope that Rob would have the balls to not include him in GB's five.

Have him as a non riding captain by all means, but as things stand I would go with something like Harris, Kennett, Rico, Tai and Bridger.

Agree with both of you except I'd be more radical and make one of the youngsters captain. A captain should be able to put some fire into bellies and have some testicular fortitude. I don't think Nicholls, Richardson or Harrise do or have either nowadays. Youngsters have all the passion of youth, which can be infectious. They think they are unbeatable and occasionally it comes off. As for Nicholls as non riding captain, if we are to have one of them FFS draft David Norris in. Lets face it if Team GB get to the final it will be a miracle so what has he got to lose.

Agree with both of you except I'd be more radical and make one of the youngsters captain. A captain should be able to put some fire into bellies and have some testicular fortitude. I don't think Nicholls, Richardson or Harrise do or have either nowadays. Youngsters have all the passion of youth, which can be infectious. They think they are unbeatable and occasionally it comes off. As for Nicholls as non riding captain, if we are to have one of them FFS draft David Norris in. Lets face it if Team GB get to the final it will be a miracle so what has he got to lose.

The real problem is if Team GB come last they have to requalify, without home advantage. The current squad would have trouble beating the Czech, German and Slovenien teams anywhere except their own back yard

I'm totally opposed to having a 'non-riding' captain.

How can a man who spends the match period pottering around in the comparative comfort of the pits instruct or advise men who have to go out and ride how to do so?

The riders know from experience all the details of the changing condition of the circuit. They know where the grip is. They know where the bumps etc are. They know the best racing line. These are all aspects of the match that are liable to constant change throughout the meeting. The pit potterer cannot know the intimate details as much as the active rider can.

The concept of a 'non-riding captain' gets a positive thumbs down from me - whoever he may be!

and his 3 before that?

4. Edward Kennett 3, 1, 3, 3 = 10 - only beaten by niels after gating first.

season before:

5. Edward Kennett: 3 - 2 - 3 - 0 = 8 - lost to hans twice and king once

5. Edward Kennett 3, 3, 3, 3 = 12

so one bad meeting in last 4, and thats because the track was completely different, and remember....it will be different on the day off the world cup, as Ole will do the track, and it might even favour the brits, and also another one, they can come down and practice after the league meetings, so will get the set up more, Eddy has more experiance off the EOES and also the better riders.

Woffy is certainly up with a chance, but for this meeting, id go Kennett, and if we qualify, ill go tai IMO.

Will it definitely be Olsen and his cronies preparing the track - have been trying to find out about this before deciding whether to buy tickets or not - do you know for certain? :unsure:

If that is the case not only will it be a bad advert for Peterborough speedway you can forget practice sessions and set-ups cos they will be as much use as a chocolate tea-pot :angry: