British Speedway Forum

Gp`s In 2013 And Beyond-where Will They Be Held ?

If that's not happenning, maybe Speedway should form an independent (from FIM) governing body, to whom BSI monies would go (preumably this would have to wait until the end of the current contract)

It'll be a long wait as I think the contract runs until something like 2021.

HUMPHREY, we know you are not the biggest fan or BSI or indeed IMG and that's okay but why do you may a sly innuendo like where speedway is 'supposedly' shown on TV. The countries and TV networks that take the GP are easily verified. There is no supposedly about it.

I've not seen viewing figures for anywhere except the UK, Poland and I think Sweden. I also suspect the list of countries where speedway is shown are actually those that can receive coverage via satellite broadcast which quite a different thing from who actually watches it.

I was in Portugal last weekend though, and staying in a hotel with a reasonable number of satellite channels. I was interested to see whether the NZ GP was on, but I was disappointed once again in a foreign country. This is now about the 80th country where I've looked in vain for SGP coverage, so I really wonder when and where it's actually shown and who can be actually watching it... :blink:

As I've stated several times before though, it's not that I have anything against either IMG or BSI per se, but I simply dislike the exaggerated claims made about the competition. I also think the financial setup between the FIM, BSI and the domestic speedway authorities is ridiculous, but I acknowledge that's not really the fault of BSI and if I were a shareholder I'd do exactly the same as long as I could get away with it.

I really don't see this conflict between GP rounds and the Polish clubs that Humphrey envisages.

At the moment the sums of money made by the SGP aren't really worth quibbling about from the perspective of individual Polish clubs, but if they become substantially greater it might become interesting.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

I was in Portugal last weekend though, and staying in a hotel with a reasonable number of satellite channels. I was interested to see whether the NZ GP was on, but I was disappointed once again in a foreign country. This is now about the 80th country where I've looked in vain for SGP coverage, so I really wonder when and where it's actually shown and who can be actually watching it... :blink:

What odd behaviour from someone who only a few posts earlier says of the SGP "it might as well take place on Mars for all the relevance it has to me" :o

What odd behaviour from someone who only a few posts earlier says of the SGP "it might as well take place on Mars for all the relevance it has to me" :o

Why? It doesn't mean I can't watch the occasional GP to see what all the fuss is about, and in the case of the NZ GP it was something different from the norm. Still don't really care who wins though...

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

• 2 months later...

DON'T be surprised if Malilla returns in 2014...

I would be very surprised, from what i've heard. Ullevi has one more year to go on their contract

and Stockholm is said to have been given a 5 year contract.

http://gpbloggen.wordpress.com/

Paul Bellamy says that Målilla is definitely out of the picture for the nearest years.

Edited by Ghostwalker

I would be very surprised, from what i've heard. Ullevi has one more year to go on their contract

and Stockholm is said to have been given a 5 year contract.

http://gpbloggen.wordpress.com/

Paul Bellamy says that Målilla is definitely out of the picture for the nearest years.

NOT what he said to me. Lots of improvements scheduled for the G&B Arena in 2013 and there must be doubts about the viability of a GP at Ullevi. Still think Malilla will be back sooner rather than later.

Great news about Stockholm, however, and Warsaw is still a distinct possibility.

Well Målilla, it have been nice while it lasted but its over now....

In 2013 the two Grand Prix in Sweden will be at Ullevi in Gothenburg and Friends Arena in Stockholm.

http://svt.se/sport/...a-i-gp-cirkusen

Great, so yet another temporary track with a half full stadium. It may make the sponsors happy but I personally find the temp tracks woeful. The likes of Malilla, Leszno and Byd are some of the best race tracks around and now none will be on the calendar which is very disappointing.

NOT what he said to me. Lots of improvements scheduled for the G&B Arena in 2013 and there must be doubts about the viability of a GP at Ullevi. Still think Malilla will be back sooner rather than later.

Great news about Stockholm, however, and Warsaw is still a distinct possibility.

I believe you Phil.

However IMO the problem is not the track or the arena but rather the village of Målilla and its surroundings.

Bellamy said in this article: http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=86&artikel=5144637

that they want to have the GPs in big cities. However i read in another article that Ullevi needs 15-20'000 spectators per GP

to avoid doing a loss.

Great, so yet another temporary track with a half full stadium. It may make the sponsors happy but I personally find the temp tracks woeful. The likes of Malilla, Leszno and Byd are some of the best race tracks around and now none will be on the calendar which is very disappointing.

TEMPORARY tracks woeful ... where have you been for the past few years? Western Springs, Ullevia and Parken all great tracks this year. No doubt Cardiff will be too.

• Like 1

Bellamy said in this article: http://sverigesradio...artikel=5144637 that they want to have the GPs in big cities

Nothing new in that - they were saying that more than 10 years ago. The problem is the GPs in the big cities were too expensive and weren't successful enough.

It will be interesting to see whether Warsaw could be a success, given that the speedway following in that city is pretty low.

No doubt Cardiff will be too.

A decent track at Cardiff would I think be a first... :blink:

Different stories for different audiences?

• 2 months later...
Interesting piece in today`s Speedway star regarding replacement tracks in 2013 needed for Leszno and Vojens.Should`t think there`s another track in Denmark likely to host a GP.Although not saying so i get the impression that Russia might be a goer this time or could Latvia come back into the fold.

Think it's already been hinted that Russia is off the agenda for the foreseeable future. Wasn't Warsaw already mentioned though?

How about having an extra one in Britain for a year or two and see if the crowds hold up at Cardiff? Obviously have it at a smaller venue like Coventry or maybe King's Lynn who do a great job for the SWC. Countries like Germany, Austria, Russia and of course USA and Australia should really have GP's if the organisers want a wider audience.

Edited by woz01