British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vincent Vega

Middlo Is Another Sven

Dont kid yerselves people we have 2 chances of winning the SWC slim and none and slim just left town!!! Middlo is another SGE. Good at club level but cannot produce the goods at International level. This will be his 6th crack at the SWC and we wont beat the Danes, Poles or Swedes no chance.

He doesnt pick riders in form look at Chris Louis he has beaten Crump at Belle Vue Andersen at Peterborough and Nikki Ped at Arlington in the last few weeks 3 world class riders. He has got a lot of experience of Polish tracks due to his GP appearances and regular Polish league racing in the 90s.

Sorry people but with Middlo in charge we aint got a hope in hell of winning the SWC it will turn out just like the football world cup full of false hope.

Can't disagree with much of that. But I'd dispute how effective Middlo has been at club level - surely the successes at Poole were largely down to some shrewd team building by Ford and Golding.

Dont kid yerselves people we have 2 chances of winning the SWC slim and none and slim just left town!!!  Middlo is another SGE. Good at club level but cannot produce the goods at International level. This will be his 6th crack at the SWC and we wont beat the Danes, Poles or Swedes no chance.

He doesnt pick riders in form look at Chris Louis he has beaten Crump at Belle Vue Andersen at Peterborough and Nikki Ped at Arlington in the last few weeks 3 world class riders.  He has got a lot of experience of Polish tracks due to his GP appearances and regular Polish league racing in the 90s. 

Sorry people but with Middlo in charge we aint got a hope in hell of winning the SWC it will turn out just like the football world cup full of false hope.

Even with Chris Louis in the team...no chance in hell

Not a big fan of Middlo's (I don't think he's particularly astute tactically), but he is a good motivator and has contributed to some excellent performances in dire situations (remember Poland World Cup in 2001).

Britain don't have the riders - and is that really Middlo's fault?

Not a big fan of Middlo's (I don't think he's particularly astute tactically), but he is a good motivator and has contributed to some excellent performances in dire situations (remember Poland World Cup in 2001).

Britain don't have the riders - and is that really Middlo's fault?

It is frankly rediculous to blame a Team Manager (in advance of the competition,which is even more pointless) for the failings of the whole structure of British Speedway.

If you have no structured youth, pre 16 yrs training/development system then you ain't gonna get any riders. Look at teh pathetic efforts we have in place, compared with what teh Poles/Swedes/Danes have. USA still has 50 yr old riders as teh main attraction, with nothing coming through because the flow of youngsters has not been encouraged. Give it 5 yrs and there will be no USA team around.

Oaksie is trying his best but if you think the cupboard is bare now, wait another 5 years, and you won't even have the shelves !!

Its the typical short term expediency factor again.Youth dvelopment is where majority of the Sky money should have gone.

Ok, silly supporters will start advising just how good young so-and-so is,will be, but British Speedway is littered with those who nearly/should have/maybe will some day make it.

While the clubs import nameless overseas riders to bolster a League which is already teetering on the verge of collapse, then England (or the silly GB tag) will very quickly become a 3rd rate Speedway nation.

Look at the years of solid growth,big clubs,big names, big crowds, big media interest...all at the same time when this country developed their own youngsters. Footie is going the same way, rugby quickly recognised a problem, and so did cricket, both have major English factors, and both sports are now flourishing at grass roots level and both will ina few years have a very strong national team.

If you have no structured youth, pre 16 yrs training/development system then you ain't gonna get any riders. Look at teh pathetic efforts we have in place, compared with what teh Poles/Swedes/Danes have.

And what little effort was put in, i.e. the graded reserves in the PL, was compromised as soon as the majority discovered that a minority (Rye House and Mildenhall) were gaining an advantage from it. No effort whatsoever to try and replicate Rye House's advantage in future years, just a self-interested drive to eradicate their advantage this season. It's shameful.

But, in fairness, Middlo is manager of a club that has done as much as anyone to promote your nameless foreigners.

Edited by Subedei

It is frankly rediculous to blame a Team Manager (in advance of the competition,which is even more pointless) for the failings of the whole structure of British Speedway.

If you have no structured youth, pre 16 yrs training/development system then you ain't gonna get any riders. Look at teh pathetic efforts we have in place, compared with what teh Poles/Swedes/Danes have. USA still has 50 yr old riders as teh main attraction, with nothing coming through because the flow of youngsters has not been encouraged. Give it 5 yrs and there will be no USA team around.

Oaksie is trying his best but if you think the cupboard is bare now, wait another 5 years, and you won't even have the shelves !!

Its the typical short term expediency factor again.Youth dvelopment is where majority of the Sky money should have gone.

Ok, silly supporters will start advising just how good young so-and-so is,will be, but British Speedway is littered with those who nearly/should have/maybe will some day make it.

While the clubs import nameless overseas riders to bolster a League which is already teetering on the verge of collapse, then England (or the silly GB tag) will very quickly become a 3rd rate Speedway nation.

Look at the years of solid growth,big clubs,big names, big crowds, big media interest...all at the same time when this country developed their own youngsters. Footie is going the same way, rugby quickly recognised a problem, and so did cricket, both have major English factors, and both sports are now flourishing at grass roots level and both will ina few years have a very strong national team.

Can just agree with James here...

No youth devoplement = no future stars.

As I've said before, the British team manager shouldn't just be selecting a squad, then showing up on match days to give a pep talk, manage substitutions and collect his pay cheque - he should be integrally involved in the national development at all levels, promoting investment and developing a long-term vision to put our country back on top of the world. If he can't do that, we need somebody who can.

I cannot stand NM one little bit,as he has a persona that i find cannot be trusted.Hey but that is just my personal opinion.He does not ride the bikes,he just picks the team.It is not his fault that team GB has not got a cat in hells chance of becoming world champions,they are just not good enough.It is a sad fact that there are next to no training facilities for up and coming young Brits.That is the problem that needs addressing.

It's funny - the last couple of years Middlo has been slammed for not picking the youngsters. Now he's put faith in a couple of them, that's wrong and he should have picked an older rider. Just goes to prove you can't please all of the people all of the time.

This thread just looks like another VV attempt to put RR's name forward as national team manager. :P

persona that cannot be trusted...erm what do you mean?

This thread just looks like another VV attempt to put RR's name forward as national team manager.  :P

Ronnie Russell as team manager. Dear me, if Middlo is Eriksson, Ronnie would surely be Graham Taylor.

However, I do see peoples point. Last season we weren't racing the final in the UK and hadn't a chance of winning, so giving the youngsters their head last season was an ideal opportunity. But it was wasted.

Edited by Subedei

I dont know Middlo at all but he is an ex Hammer of course and seems like a great bloke comes on here and answers questions unlike other high profile speedway people which I applaud him for. I just think that Team GB as they are known need another team manager from 2007. No not Ronnie Rabbit I reckon the man to do the job would be none other than ..............

Step forward Mr Trevor Swales

This is the second thread crucifying the hapless national manager.

Why the sudden emregence from beneath safety fence of an anti-Middleditch faction? Perhaps a backlash to the regrettable exit of England from the football competition and the far-sighted jump-before-push exit of that manager? :sad: