British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chris-P

Leicester Speedway ?

Any fans of Leicester Lions out there, any memories gladly listened to here !.

My era as a boy was 1967 ( aged 7) to 1975, i then discovered girls, drink etc....got my priorities wrong .lol.

My Fave riders, Ray Wilson, Johnny Boulger, Tom Ledbetter, etc.

Any news on the roumor of a return,i heard that somehere out in the sticks was being sound tested as a possible site ? I did hook up with the Leics speedway supporters club for a while, but the website is badly in need of revision with no dates for meetings etc being posted ?

Anyone got any Lions memorabilia for sale ? ive managed to pick up programs, badges and photo's from ebay, but would love a race jacket, or something of that nature.

Hope to hear from some of you :)

Anyone got any Lions memorabilia for sale ? ive managed to pick up programs, badges and photo's from ebay, but would love a race jacket, or something of that nature.

Where were you when I was trying to sell a few programmes & a couple of Leicester Lions badges recently on ebay? :D No interest at all, but I did sell a Leicester Hunters car badge for £26 and Leicester Hunters 1949 badge with 3 year bars for £14. 85p or something like that. The 1949 badge ended up in Canada! :o

I started going to Blackbird Road in 1949 and my favourite riders around that time and the 50's were Charlie Barsby, Johnnie Carpenter, Len Williams, Joe Bowkis, Bryan Elliott, Jack Winstanley....but these were before you were even born. (God...I feel old now!)

Later on it was Ray Wilson, John Boulger, Ken McKinlay etc. Happy Memories.

You will have to see my scrapbooks sometime as I am sad enough to have kept newspaper cuttings and pictures of Leicester riders (and others) from the 1950's onwards. I am on to book 3 now. :P

Liontamer is the one with race jackets. I think he has a garage full of them.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only ex-Leicester fan who has been brave enough to join the enemy forces. :wink:

Edited by Gemini

You will have to see my scrapbooks sometime

Blimey Chris-P, looks like you've pulled :wink::lol:

Liontamer is the one with race jackets.  I think he has a garage full of them.

Over 70 race jackets including Leicester, but they aren't for sale I'm afraid. Favourite riders were Ray Wilson & Johnnie Boulger (who my two sisters were mad on).

Happy days. :(

Where were you when I was trying to sell a few programmes & a couple of Leicester Lions badges recently on ebay?  :D  No interest at all, but I did sell a Leicester Hunters car badge for £26 and Leicester Hunters 1949 badge with 3 year bars for £14. 85p or something like that.  The 1949 badge ended up in Canada!  :o

I started going to Blackbird Road in 1949 and my favourite riders around that time and the 50's were Charlie Barsby, Johnnie Carpenter, Len Williams, Joe Bowkis, Bryan Elliott, Jack Winstanley....but these were before you were even born.  (God...I feel old now!)

Later on it was Ray Wilson, John Boulger, Ken McKinlay etc.  Happy Memories.

You will have to see my scrapbooks sometime as I am sad enough to have kept newspaper cuttings and pictures of Leicester riders (and others) from the 1950's onwards.  I am on to book 3 now.  :P

Liontamer is the one with race jackets.  I think he has a garage full of them.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only ex-Leicester fan who has been brave enough to join the enemy forces.  :wink:

Well Gemini,. i had fond memories of the rivalry between Leicester Lions and Cov Bee's from back then, so ive kinda adopted them as my team now, plus they were the nearest to me then, peterbourough is probably nearest now as ive moved out to melton mowbray, but im loving supporting the Bee's, im not only a born again speedwy fan, buit also a born again annorack !! hehe.

Any ex Lions fans going to cardif ??

Over 70 race jackets including Leicester, but they aren't for sale I'm afraid. Favourite riders were Ray Wilson & Johnnie Boulger (who my two sisters were mad on).

Happy days.  :(

PS Gemini , i would to see your scrapbooks if that were at all possible !! i really would enjoy that :D

As for your jackets Lion tamer...wow...i bet that is some colletion you have, would there be anychance of seing them sometime, do you actually have a Ray Wislon one ?? it would be really much apreciated to have a look at your collection.

My best mate, and soon to be best man at my wedding, Mark his name is, i took him along to Cov the last season, and he informed me his mum used to date a Lions rider, he called her from the stadium to ask who it was, she replied,. John Boulger !! ,..lol,...... no way i said, he was one of my boyhood hero's.

By the way, ... for my stag do im looking at going to visit the new track in Spain,and having a track day riding bikes etc. ive spoken to the guys there and its looking good, my boyhood dream may come true after all !! lol.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I can't remember too much from my initial outings to Blackbird Rd in the early 60's when Leicester were the Hunters. My excuse was that I was only five or six at the time. I do remember the sound and the smell and falling in love with the sport instantly though. I also remember my dad talking fondly about Ken McKinlay so he must have been there about that time. Then dad did the smart thing and moved the family to Australia when I was seven so no more speedway for a while.

I did venture back to the UK in 1975 and went to one meeting at Blackbird Rd. For the life of me I can't remember who was riding for Leicester and who it was against .... except for Ila Teroma !! Why I remember him I have no idea, perhaps it was a name that just stuck for some reason.

And as for John Boulger he drives a taxi in Adelaide now. Taxi number 730 based in Port Adelaide I believe. When ever I go there I live in hope that I will get taxi 730 but no such luck yet. Someone was telling me (forget who) that they ran into him and asked "aren't you John Boulger who used to ride speedway?" and he ended up inviting them round to his house and showed them all his trophies & momento's etc that he had stored in boxes and cases in his garage that he hardly ever got out as that was a part of his life that was in the past. There may of been a small drink and a chat involved too :D . Wish I could remember who it was that told me.

If you haven't already got them you should rush out now and buy 3 books about the history of Leicester written by Alan Jones of the Leicester Mercury. They cover the records in 3 sections, The Early Days (Pre-War), The Hunters Era and finally The Lions Era. Well worth the money

Blimey Chris-P, looks like you've pulled  :wink::lol:

Well, it makes a change from etchings. :P My scrapbooks are very popular I'll have you know and have been passed around many times at the Leicester Reunions amongst the fans and ex-riders. Someone even wants me to let him have them when I kick the bucket. :wink:

And as for John Boulger he drives a taxi in Adelaide now.

As you probably know John was at a Leicester Reunion last September and gave an interesting talk. A good evening was had by all and if anyone would like to know what John looks like now take a look at this photo. (I am on the left and my friend Hazel on the right.)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/153283...047007148zxxKzv

Edited by Gemini

Well, it makes a change from etchings.  :P My scrapbooks are very popular I'll have you know

As you probably know John was at a Leicester Reunion last September and gave an interesting talk. 

:

http://image51.webshots.com/51/3/55/65/457...65zxxKzv_fs.jpg

Im sure they are Gemini ! ,...you still didnt say whether i could see them though lol

By the way..just in case, it was a purely platonic request ! :D

Yes i knew about JB comming to the reunion, unfortunately work commitments prevented me attending that and many other interesting events :sad:

If you haven't already got them you should rush out now and buy 3 books about the history of Leicester written by Alan Jones of the Leicester Mercury.

yes ! i have spoken with Alan by email about the books and fully intend to get some copies from him ..... one of those things i keep forgetting to do :)

As for your jackets Lion tamer...wow...i bet that is some colletion you have, would there be anychance of seing them sometime, do you actually have a Ray Wislon one ??

Never heard of him. Seriously though you are quite welcome to have a browse through my race jackets, I live in Syston if you want to pm me, & I found out this morning I am going to Cardiff, thanks to a mate I do work for in Wales, who gave me 4 free tickets.

I bought a pair of leathers off Ray Wilson because he always hated them (red ones with black & white pattern as seen on front of one of the history of speedway tapes), & I always used to get booed when I rode at Coventry in them :D . My biggest regret is giving them to a young rider when I packed it in.....DOH ! :rolleyes:

Never heard of him.

Oops !, i was away from skool on the day they did speeling !

Thanks Liontamer, im will pm you forthwith !

I always thought Colin Cook was a terrific racer, any one know what happened to him ?

I never seen the Lions rode but my Uncle did, he tells me stories of old.

His fav is Ray Wilson and currently has a poster of him on one of the corners of Custom House breaking the track record.

I have a few Lions programmes, including the visit of Leningrad.

My Uncle's mate went to every meeting in the season where the league had 18/19 teams?!?

18 of us going Cardiff.