British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chris-P

Jawa 897 Machine

I have just aqquired a Jawa 897 machine with a view to restoring / showing, maybe riding if i can find somewhere to ride it.

Firstly, does anyone know where i can obtain a workshop manual, either hardcopy or online e-copy. Ive looked at Jawa website, but not any info on this model.

Secondly, does anyone know of a Jawa/other speedway bike owners club ??

Third., any other retro Jawa/ Retro bike owners care to chew the cud ??

Cheers in advance :D

Chris .

The 897 isn't that old !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

As the item is under "Years gone by" section and the poster is asking about restoration I assumed it was an older bike he had got. I do not know much about the bikes subject but can say that people on the sites I mentioned do know quite a lot and could be a big help on this matter.

The 897 isn't that old !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

It's still a baby :D

The JAWA 897 SOHC 4-Valve Upright engine is from the mid to late 1980s and there must be loads of these spinning away around training tracks.

Probably best to look on the TRAINING TRACKS AND AMATEUR / SECOND HALF RIDING FORUM.

It's still a baby :D

The JAWA 897 SOHC 4-Valve Upright engine is from the mid to late 1980s and there must be loads of these spinning away around training tracks.

Probably best to look on the TRAINING TRACKS AND AMATEUR / SECOND HALF RIDING FORUM.

Sorry guys, i didnt mean to kick of a " is it old, it isnt old" , debate ! :)

The bike is 20+ years old , not exactly a museum piece just yet, but becaus i am completely green i posted in this forum as well as the training track forum hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction for more info.

Im a believer in blanket coverage lol....thx for all th usefull weblinks etc guys :D

Sorry guys, i didnt mean to kick of a " is it old, it isnt old" , debate !  :)

Sorry if your original post got sidetracked a bit :)

Once you've restored the bike there are many tracks you can give it a spin around.

It may be worth finding out your nearest training track and visit it. You may well see an 897 there and be able to get some info.

Even if there are no 897s there don't be afraid to ask around as these were very popular engines and you may well get some tips from riders and mechanics.

Finally, the best bit - Riding it. Have fun :D

Sorry if your original post got sidetracked a bit :)

Once you've restored the bike there are many tracks you can give it a spin around.

It may be worth finding out your nearest training track and visit it. You may well see an 897 there and be able to get some info.

Even if there are no 897s there don't be afraid to ask around as these were very popular engines and you may well get some tips from riders and mechanics.

Finally, the best bit - Riding it. Have fun :D

In my opinion the strongest speedway motor ever made. See the "Bike History" page on my website:

http://www.sliderphil.netfirms.com/Bikehistory.htm

In my opinion the strongest speedway motor ever made. See the "Bike History" page on my website:

http://www.sliderphil.netfirms.com/Bikehistory.htm

Yeah, i have that website saved to my favourites, i think i came across it on a google search, very informative and interesting, thanks :D