British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bryn

Gillman - 6th December

Anyone else (apart from myself and Lunchy) going to Gillman this Saturday for the South Australia State title?

And anyone got a list of nominations?

Rory Schlein has just WON the South Australian Championship. He won all five heats and the final.

The final result was Rory, Shane Parker, Rusty Harrison, Kevin Doolan.

Scorers in the qualifying heats were RORY 15, Parker 14, Harrison 13, Doolan 11, Woodifield 11, MATTHEW WETHERS 11.

Matthew was third in the run-off for the last final place.

TAKEN FROM THE EDINBURGH CHATZONE....

Go the Rooboy - Getting one over on Glasgow without a wheel being turned in this country..... :D

Good result for the Roo Boy.. taking the spoils from the likes of Shane and Rusty and Kevin Doolan in the final too!

well done Rory.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

OIIII !!!!!!!!! Someone has stolen my thunder. The pitfalls of having to fly home first !! Here goes with the full results / report for those who are interested.

When I got to the meeting and looked at the rider line ups I thought to myself "with the gap in ability between the top 4 or 5 (ie Schlein, Harrison, Parker & Doolan who looked the obvious finalists even before the racing commenced) and the bottom few there could be a few less than exciting races". This was largely true but the meeting was saved from being a less than memorable one by a couple of absolute belters. On to a meeting that was run at the end of a lovely summers day but which turned very cool later on in the evening.

The scores.

20 heats with top 4 qualifying for the final

Schlein 3,3,3,3,3 = 15

Parker 3,3,2,3,3 = 14

Harrison 3,3,3,2,2 = 13

Doolan 2,3,3,0,3 = 11 (1st in 3 way run off)

Wethers 2,2,3,1,3 = 11 (2nd in run off)

Woodifield 3,2,2,3,1 = 11 (3rd in run off)

Parsons 2,1,2,2,2 = 9

Ksiezak 1,2,1,2,2 = 8

Gathercole 1,2,1,0,2 = 6

Keane 0,0,2,3,1 = 6

Matt Jones 1,1,1,1,1 = 5

Bugeja 2,0,0,2,0 = 4

Watson 0,0,0,1,1 = 3

Gates 1,1,0,1,0 = 3

Sanford 0,0,1,0,- = 1

Bogdanowicz 0,0,0,0,0 = 0

Redding F = 0 (Reserve)

The final

Schlein ('B) 1st

Parker ('R) 2nd

Harrison (W) 3rd

Doolan (YB) 4th

Heat 1

Woodifield, Wethers, Jones, Watson 59.02

Wethers from gate 2 got the jump on Woodifield (from 3) and got to the first turn in the lead but Woodifield cleverly cut underneath him to lead coming out of turn 2. After that it was follow the leader with 1st and 2nd finishing quite a way ahead of 3rd and 4th

Heat 2

Schlein, Doolan, Gathercole, Keane 57.77

Schlein (out of 3) and Doolan (gate 4) got to turn 1 side by side but Schlein's inside line allowed him to hold off Doolan and assume the lead. Doolan was all over Schlein like an old fashioned nightshirt for 4 laps but couldn't find a way past. Schlein just kept his head and rode a tight racing line and Doolan could do nothing about it. I don't think the term "give up" appears in the Doolan dictionary.

Heat 3

Parker, Bugeja, Gates, Bogdanowicz 58.04

The other three waved Parker goodbye as he left the tapes. A nice training ride to familiarize himself with the track for Parker.

Heat 4

Harrison, Parsons, Ksiezak, Sanford 58.71

Harrison blasted his way to the lead round the outside from gate 4 and was never troubled after that.

Heat 5

Harrison, Gathercole, Watson, Bogdanowicz (ef) 59.45

Yawn. I wrote "Browns Cows" in my program as they were spread out like the aforementioned cattle by the end.

Heat 6

Schlein, Wethers, Gates, Sanford (ef) 58.09

Schlein easily

Heat 7

Parker, Woodifield, Parsons, Keane 58.95

5th procession in a row.

Heat 8

Doolan, Ksiezak, Jones, Bugeja 60.04

Make that 6 in a row as Doolan cleared out. The saving grace was that the other three finished quite close together so there was some interest in the heat at least. Ksiezak and Jones enjoyed a good tussle for the minor placings.

Heat 9

Schlein, Parker, Ksiezak, Watson 57.50 (new track record)

This was more like it !!! Schlein in gate 1 had the positional advantage over Parker from gate 4 and got to the lead from the outset. For 4 laps Parker explored both inside and outside lines to try to outsmart Schlein but Schlein was having none of it. Good level headed ride by Schlein to beat Parker and he set a new track record in the process. The crowd was awake again now.

Heat 10

Wethers, Parsons, Gathercole, Bugeja 58.49

After a tight turn 1 with Wethers & Parsons side by side it was Wethers who exited turn 2 with the lead and then proceeded to ride away from Parsons with surprising ease.

Heat 11

Doolan, Woodifield, Sanford, Bogdanowicz 58.23

Back to the processions. They finished strung out over a good 2/3rds of the track

Heat 12

Harrison, Keane, Jones, Gates 58.43

Harrison rode off into the distance but Keane and Jones were having a nice little tussle for bragging rights over 2nd and 3rd. Keane zoomed past Jones on lap 1 but Jones thought he liked the look of second and wanted it back. He nearly did get it back with a lunge on the line .... but not quite.

Heat 13

Keane, Bugeja, Watson, Sanford (Fx) 61.40

Unfortunately with no "name" rider in this heat it wasn't what you would call a mouth watering prospect. It was a surprsisingly close race but the race time says it all. Sanford fell on the very last turn of the race.

Heat 14

Parker, Harrison, Wethers, Doolan 58.92

This one was worth the admission money on its own. All four came off the line cleanly and they went into the first turn like the proverbial "bunch of bananas". Nothing much between them all going down the back straight the first time but Doolan got the tiniest bit untidy round turns 3/4 and by the end of lap one found himself looking at three rear wheels. No passing after that but lots of good close hard racing and all four finished in close proximity. I've seen worse races with three or four passes in them.

Heat 15

Woodifield, Ksiezak, Gates, Gathercole 60.21

What the excitement gods gave us in the previous heat they took back here.

Heat 16

Schlein, Parsons, Jones, Bogdanowicz 59.31

Schlein had a far easier outing this time around and was untroubled.

Heat 17

Doolan, Parsons, Watson, Gates. 58.93.

The only excitement was Gates giving it a bit of an extra handful on the line and wheelstanding his bike which shot out from underneath him. He was ok and was able to clear the track. While we were watching that Doolan had run away and hid.

Heat 18

Wethers, Ksiezak, Keane, Bogdanwoicz 59.74

Wethers rode away from them. Keane thought he had second place all tied up but Ksiezak went underneath him on turn 2 of the last lap and held on for second. Ksiezak was impressing with his willingness to get stuck in and not be overawed by the more experienced riders. I don't know much about him other than he is just out of junior ranks but he was not disgracing himself at all

Heat 19

Schlein, Harrison, Woodifield, Bugeja 58.25

Another one of the highlights of the meeting. After slightly missing the start from gate 4 Schlein found himself in 3rd going into the first turn but showing brains have a role in speedway too he cleverly cut back underneath them to go from 3rd to 1st coming out of turn 2. A very polished move indeed. The race still had more to offer us though as Woodifield from the inside had jumped in front of Harrison and was hell bent on hanging on to second as the two points would have given him automatic entry into the final. For three and three quarter laps Woodifield kept Harrison behind him only to run just a fraction wide coming out of the final turn. Harrison didn't need a gold edged invitation and quite happily ducked up the inside to pinch second.

Heat 20

Parker, Gathercole, Jones, Redding (Fx) 60.94

Poor Redding !! He was the reserve for the meeting and got his big chance here. Unfortunately he did what Gates had done earlier and looped the bike coming off the line. Part of me wished the ref could have called them back and put all 4 in again but rules are rules and Redding cleared the track, the race continued and Parker had a nice easy ride up the front.

Ride off for 4th

Doolan (YB), Wethers (W) Woodifield ®

This one went against the trend with Doolan keeping the power on and blasting around the outside into the first turn to take the lead with the other two close behind. On turn 4 on lap 1 Wethers had a minor moment baulking Woodifield and causing him to momentarily throttle back. Even though it wasn't a major incident by the time they got sorted out Doolan was well away and it was effectively race over. Wethers generously gave Woodifield a "sorry mate, wasn't deliberate it just happened" gesture as they left the track.

Final

Schlein ('B), Parker ('R), Harrison (W), Doolan (YB)

Schlein chose gate 2 for the final and it proved to be a good choice as he gated well and made the turn in first. Parker tucked in behind him and as in the earlier clash Parker had to be content with watching Schlein ride a tidy line and give him no chance. At the back Harrison and Doolan each seemed determined not to have to buy the first drink for finishing last. 3rd and 4th placings changed hands more than once and both were trying various lines to either get past or stay in front. In the end Harrison prevailed.

Schlein fully deserved his win as he was the most impressive rider on the night. It would have been an injustice if he had finished anywhere but first. He seems to have picked up a wee bit more polish and class since I saw him this time last year. Parker did what you expected him to do with his experience but wasn't quite on the same level as the victor. Harrison and Doolan were as they always seem to be, good value for money and neither of them knowing how to sit back and take it easy. The only other rider I will comment on is Matt Wethers who seems to have come on in leaps and bounds during his stint in the UK. He is far more consistent and has far less rough edges than when I saw him last year.

The sidecar support races gave excellent entertainment with many of the races being quite close and keenly fought. Amusement with the sidecars was that it seemed to be "Let's scare a flag marshall" night with more than one sidecar managing to invade the infield causing the flag marshalls a few nervous moments.

For those that are wondering the well known honorary Aussie Bryn Williams was in attendance and in fine fettle he seems too. For those that are on the look out for Bryn this Aussie summer look for a gent resplendent in a promotional shirt and hat courtesy of his hosts for this visit and there he will be !!

Sorry Lunchy nothing personal...... It's just that it's really good to hear that Rooboy is carrying on from where he lef off this last year.

Sounds like Matthew Wethers is gonna be a reserve to beat in the PL next year also if he can keep on producing that sort of form.....

Guest Sir Lunchalot
Sorry Lunchy nothing personal...... It's just that it's really good to hear that Rooboy is carrying on from where he lef off this last year.

Sounds like Matthew Wethers is gonna be a reserve to beat in the PL next year also if he can keep on producing that sort of form.....

Not a problem Nutz, I was just dong a little leg pulling. It's not like I expect Monarchs fans to keep good news quiet !! I know Rory's mum would have been proud and it's not all that easy to stop proud mums spreading the news.

I commented on Matt Wethers because his improvement over 12 months since I saw him last year was very noticeable. Still not quite at the level of the top guys on the night (but not far from it either) and if he improves some more next year he will end up being very useful indeed.

Lunchy great report.

Now you save those fingers for the Bordertown Meeting as you are the OFFICIAL REPORTER for this great event.

Will try & chase up a cap with scoop written on it :D

Guest Sir Lunchalot
Lunchy great report.

Now you save those fingers for the Bordertown Meeting as you are the OFFICIAL REPORTER for this great event.

Will try & chase up a cap with scoop written on it :D

My free press pass will be in the mail soon I assume Marty ? ;)

Lunchy great report.

Will try & chase up a cap with scoop written on it  :D

My free press pass will be in the mail soon I assume Marty ? ;)

Your also a sponsor, you get 2 :approve:

Guest Sir Lunchalot
you get 2

Get to what? :P

Two free passes ML !!

You thinking of coming over ??

Guest Sir Lunchalot
I wish :( But I will one day and you better watch out then Lunchy ;)

Shame ML, although its a bad time right now I know.

Rory and Matt Wethers riding superbly, it's due to be 36 degrees Celsius here today and Christmas goodwill in the air but I can understand how you would rather be at home freezing cold having a White Christmas with no speedway. ;)