British Speedway Forum

THE fact that the Millennium Stadium is hosting some Olympic soccer next year is muddying the waters a little but why would anyone want to go anywhere else? It is a fantastic show at the Millennium with the 23 races the top billing and a crowd of 43,640 says it all. BSI want it there, the Millennium Stadium want it as do the city of Cardiff. Don't panic, I'm sure they will all get it together.

Thanks for letting us know Philip. I suspected there were problems with contracts but this would seem a much easier hurdle to overcome. Surely the answer is to have it later in the series, early August?

Edited by ImpartialOne

Doesn't bother me if it is not at Cardiff anymore, not as great as some make it out to be. Hope the event moves to a track in easterly direction as may stand a (slightly) better chance of going. Kings Lynn would be great venue IMO for a British Grand Prix.

Thanks for letting us know Philip. I suspected there were problems with contracts but this would seem a much easier hurdle to overcome. Surely the answer is to have it later in the series, early August?

Olympic football at the Millennium Stadium between 25th July and 10th August

Did anyone pick up a large somerset flag from the 2nd tier around section n1 it was tied on a cable by string,this was made for me and has value to me post a note if you no where it is so i can get it back please(red with blue cross and stars on the cross) :sad:

Olympic football at the Millennium Stadium between 25th July and 10th August

BUT, as posted earlier, the Olympic people demand that the stadium be exclusively theirs for several weeks beforehand. Might make sense as far as brand new stadiums are concerned but not with the Millennium. Seems that the rest of the world must come to a halt when the Olympics demand.

BUT, as posted earlier, the Olympic people demand that the stadium be exclusively theirs for several weeks beforehand. Might make sense as far as brand new stadiums are concerned but not with the Millennium. Seems that the rest of the world must come to a halt when the Olympics demand.

So May or August next year?

So May or August next year?

Would the crowd be affected by having it during the football season? Especially in May which is usually the most important part of the season.

Later in the series would be nice if it was the night the World Champion was crowned would make it extra special.

Sadly, the LOC do seem to be bulldozing themselves around the country putting everyone out for the London Olympics.

saturday 23/06/2012 1 night in the dingy cardiff central travelodge coming up at a staggering £153. which is up to £75 more than the other saturdays in june, unless there is another major event on that date in the city that then i think its safe to assume that will be the date and venue?

Doesn't bother me if it is not at Cardiff anymore, not as great as some make it out to be. Hope the event moves to a track in easterly direction as may stand a (slightly) better chance of going. Kings Lynn would be great venue IMO for a British Grand Prix.

No it wouldn't. We'd all get swamped by insects like at the international meeting last year. :)

Logistical nightmare too. Unless you live in East Anglia... of course!! ;)

No it wouldn't. We'd all get swamped by insects like at the international meeting last year. :)

Logistical nightmare too. Unless you live in East Anglia... of course!! ;)

Not to mention you would struggle to get 1/4 of the Cardiff crowd in to the stadium.. and it rains?

Why not at the Showground?

Perfect facilities and superb race track.

Only trouble is if Nicki is injured then we might have to re-schedule.

Not to mention you would struggle to get 1/4 of the Cardiff crowd in to the stadium.. and it rains?

Correct. I'm not driving behind a tractor for 8 hours at 12mph without the ignorant grass chewing git waving me past to get to a meeting that's rained off!!

Not happening! :nono:

Why not at the Showground?

Perfect facilities and superb race track.

Only trouble is if Nicki is injured then we might have to re-schedule.

Was mentioned as a potential venue prior to the Odsal decision in 1985, for the one-off World Finals.

However, it would give a distinct advantage to people like Nicki Pedersen and that Kenneth Beer (sic) gadger, surely something that nobody on here would like... unfair indeed.

:cheers: :cheers:

Was mentioned as a potential venue prior to the Odsal decision in 1985, for the one-off World Finals.

However, it would give a distinct advantage to people like Nicki Pedersen and that Kenneth Beer (sic) gadger, surely something that nobody on here would like... unfair indeed.

:cheers: :cheers:

THE British Grand Prix requires a stadium with so much more than just a speedway track. For example, over 500 people availed themselves of hospitality on Saturday, many of the corporate boxes were taken. I am sure that given how much BSI want to remain at the Millennium, and how much the Millennium want the event (now rated second only to Wales rugby internationals) a date will be agreed especially if the Olympic committee can be persuaded that the stadium doesn't have to lay dormant throughout June.