British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bryn

Top Marks For Young Mark!

I'll let "Lunchy" post a full report later cos I've gotta start packing for my return to the UK tomorrow and goodness only knows how I'm gonna cram everything into my suitcase!

Anyway just to let you know that, on a blistering hot day it was teenager Mark Jones who set things alight to win the solo section of the SSRAV's latest club meeting at Broadford

He dropped just one point in his four rides, losing out to the Cory Gathercole oin his first race.

Gathercole claimed the runners-up spot overall by virtue of the greater number of heat wins (two) from Mark's elder brother Ashley.

A full day's racing featuring several classes, both of the solo and sidecar variety, with former Scunthorp Stag Danny Young unbeaten in the "Classic Solos" at the tender age of 51.

A most welcome sight too (and sound come to that!) for all present was the appearance of some vintage sidecars including two Vincents - bringing back fond memories of the days before the dreaded "noise police" came into operation!

Ah well, that's it for this trip "down Under" - once again I've enjoyed some fabulous hospitality, met some wonderful people and witnessed some great racing....er and sunk a few tinnies! Thanks guys...see you later in the year (hopefully!)

Guest Sir Lunchalot

No full post from me with the results I'm afraid Bryn !!

No program on the ordinary club days and my memory isn't that good !! Plus I missed the first round of heats due to an earlier kick off than usual which I wasn't aware of so all in all I'm missing a fair bit of data. I did post on another thread how much I enjoyed the racing and that I was impressed with more than one of the young lads. I know there is the "promote British riders first" brigade who I can sympathise with but in all honesty for promoters with a shopping list to not even consider some of these young lads (even if they won't be ready for a year or two yet) would be a crying shame and a waste of talent.

Anyway safe trip home Bryn and catch you in nine months !!

For those that want the results they get posted on http://www.ssrav.org.au/index.htm , usually within a day or two of the meeting.

And yes, the highlight of the day was hearing the low pitched growl of the Vincents in the sidecar events, it was like music to the ears. It was especially fun to hear them when they lined up against the Japanese powered outfits !!