British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gemini

Death Of Bryan Elliott.

I suppose only us 'oldies' will remember him but he was always one of my favourite riders when he rode for the Hunters. RIP Bryan.

Courtesy of the Lions website.

"We are sad to learn that Bryan Elliott passed away in Adelaide, Australia a week last Friday. Bryan was elected captain of the Leicester Hunters junior team in 1954 and that year he made his senior debut in the match at home to Bristol, which was the start of a long career at Leicester. Another thirty-two appearances followed over the next two seasons and his big breakthrough came in 1957 when he scored nine points against Rayleigh. That fixture turned out to be the springboard that secured him a regular place in the team. Adding another two points a match to his league average in 1958, Bryan maintained this level through the following summer before international caps came his way and a World Fin al appearance in 1960 completed his best year in speedway.

If there were titles to be handed out then the label of ‘Mr Dependable’ would have been awarded to Bryan who between June 1957 and September 1961 never once missed a meeting having ridden in 148 consecutive matches.

Bryan was forced to leave his home town club in 1962 when Leicester dropped down a division. He then signed for Coventry although towards the end of the season was given special dispensation to ride for both clubs. Elliott stayed at Brandon until the end of 1964 before helping Halifax re-launch the sport at the Shay. Shortly after marrying, Bryan emigrated to Australia. He was eighty five years old."

Oh gosh sorry. :oops: I never go in there ~ too many old people probably discussing how much better Speedway was years ago and recalling events I can't even remember. :lol:

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 6

Who are you calling old :nono: ..I do remember Bryan Elliott though so maybe I am. Sadly most of the riders I first saw back in the early 60's have either passed away or are in ill health.

• Like 1

I suppose only us 'oldies' will remember him but he was always one of my favourite riders when he rode for the Hunters. RIP Bryan.

Courtesy of the Lions website.

"We are sad to learn that Bryan Elliott passed away in Adelaide, Australia a week last Friday. Bryan was elected captain of the Leicester Hunters junior team in 1954 and that year he made his senior debut in the match at home to Bristol, which was the start of a long career at Leicester. Another thirty-two appearances followed over the next two seasons and his big breakthrough came in 1957 when he scored nine points against Rayleigh. That fixture turned out to be the springboard that secured him a regular place in the team. Adding another two points a match to his league average in 1958, Bryan maintained this level through the following summer before international caps came his way and a World Fin al appearance in 1960 completed his best year in speedway.

If there were titles to be handed out then the label of ‘Mr Dependable’ would have been awarded to Bryan who between June 1957 and September 1961 never once missed a meeting having ridden in 148 consecutive matches.

Bryan was forced to leave his home town club in 1962 when Leicester dropped down a division. He then signed for Coventry although towards the end of the season was given special dispensation to ride for both clubs. Elliott stayed at Brandon until the end of 1964 before helping Halifax re-launch the sport at the Shay. Shortly after marrying, Bryan emigrated to Australia. He was eighty five years old."

Has already been reported in the 'Years Gone By' section

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=80734

Who are you calling old :nono: ..I do remember Bryan Elliott though so maybe I am. Sadly most of the riders I first saw back in the early 60's have either passed away or are in ill health.

I'm probably older than you actually as I first went to Speedway at Blackbird Road in 1949. :shock:

What on earth would I do without a gustix link to find my way to the 'Years Gone By' section. I'm still not going though. :lol:

Anyway, here's the man himself in his prime on the right hand side of the photo. https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/148310_10150144557287785_6869528_n.jpg?oh=195f464af328552d0d2914535d246685&oe=571976DB

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 2

What on earth would I do without a gustix link to find my way to the 'Years Gone By' section. I'm still not going though. :lol:

Is it OK if i 'like' this response as it mentions gustix?