British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mIcK50

Charlie Monk

Guest stevem

great guy - think i only heard him talk about a dozen times in the whols season he spent at barrow in 1978.

meticulous with his bikes - but was the mainstay in the season he rode

he was friendly to the trackstaff tho!

I had a huge homemade programme board, with all the BL team colours handpainted in Humbrol enamel, and the Pirates team signatures on a white panel in the centre. I asked Charlie for his signature on the Glasgow programme, which he duly gave and then spent about 5 minutes meticulously examining my board. He never said a word, but when he handed it back he gave me a big smile - it must have made an impression as I remember it very clearly...

Charlie was the first Mega star that we had at Sheffield in the post 60's era. his shyness is legendry but so was his attention to detail with things mechanical. He was a rider with great style, could be hard but was always fair. I feel that he was at his best when riding his red painted Mattingly JAP, but started to strugle a bit when the JAWA's came on the seen. Even so it was a privalidge to have seen if not heard him

Despite not seeing him ride for the Tigers,I would say he is one of the all time greats.He still holds the record for the best average in a season for Glasgow(1967) and is the second highest points scorer in Tigers' history.

Yes, I believe he was robbed of a place in the 1965 World Final after being wrongly excluded for knocking off Ken McKinlay(an ex-Tiger!).