British Speedway Forum
Genesis

Bill Matthews 1940's Canadian

Anyone got anything on him at all, infos or pictures?

I must admit I always thought Bill Matthews was an Aussie. He joined West Ham in 1947 and a Speedway News of the time confirms he was Canadian, brought over by Eric Chitty.

I can actually picture his face (I know that doesn't help you) and I have got a picture somewhere, will keep looking.

Usually when I have lost something it stays lost but I have actually managed to find my Bill Matthews photograph.

I have put it here: Bill_Matthews

First class Al, thanks very much for that!

Al, any chance of getting a copy of the item in Speedway News that you mentioned? Be very grateful if it's possible. Thanks!

I will look it out and send a copy. I'm sure I must have more references to him.

Thanks Al, anything you have got would be gratefully received if you have the time.

Al, have you had anyluck with anything else on Bill? Be grateful for anything when you get the time, cheers! If anyone else has anything on him would be pleased to get that as well.

I'll spend some time looking for things asap. Just as a matter of interest, why Bill Matthews? He wasn't here long. A relative?

Cheers Al. I'm trying to get some information together for someone who contacted me about anything I had - or could get - on Bill Matthews as he is being inducted to the Canadian Motor Sport Hall of Fame this year, so any time you may find to look for anything would be ppreciateds and literally anything you have also. Thanks again for you time and interest. Nick

Just another call out to anyone who may have any info or photo's on Bill Matthews please. Cheers!