British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
miro

Speedway song

Found this in an article on Cycle Speedway

http://www.briston.plus.com/briston/ken_2001/ken_apr_01.htm

"We gained a great deal of pleasure going to speedway on Saturday nights. It was a social event from boarding the bus to our return to Percy Eke’s fish and chip shop at around eleven o’clock. Percy would be stoking-up his fire, even as late as mid-night. I recall a great deal of singing took place on the bus starting off with ‘Going to the Speedway tonight.’ This was accompanied by Arthur Williamson on his mouth organ. I still remember the refrain of ‘Got my Sunday combs on and my woolly vest, going to the speedway tonight.’..."

New to me, anyone know anymore about this one?

YES,i can definately confirm that article was written by a very dear friend of mine Mr Ken Jackson of Briston in Norfolk. He is describing what a social event it was to go to Norwich on a Saturday night. Norwich as we know was an incredibly well supported venue, people travelled from very long distances to see there heroes every week. I will contact Ken and see if i can get the Full Monty so to speak.

Ah weren't they great times, how things have changed!

Those memories of the speedway at Norwich remain still with so many folk it's a crying shame that someone out there cannot bring the sport back to the city :sad:

Was only talking to a lady of 80 yesterday who told me her husband used to, out of the blue, tell her to pack some food up cos they were off to speedway, Manchester and Bristol she remembered as tracks they went to. He would then proceed to ring all and sundry up telling them to chuck their things into a sack if they wanted to come, they'd be off in 10 mins lol

Edited by Trees